Full Version: Need cams for the /6 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
DR cam (camgrinder) was the go to guy, but he's MIA lately. huh.gif

Elgin isn't returning a buddies calls as well. blink.gif

Webs are a bit pricey. wacko.gif

Used custom is a crap shoot. unsure.gif

Looking for something like a DC40.

3.0, 10:1, twinplug, 40 webers 34vents, RSR style malhe pistons, mostly street (country road) pleasure car.

Any thoughts from the /6 crowd??? beer3.gif
sixnotfour
Used custom is a crap shoot. unsure.gif

well that statement limits you even more.... dry.gif
Madswede
Dougherty racing cams. w00t.gif
a914luvr
I had the ones for my 911S done by these guys;

http://drcamshafts.com/

I thought they were reasonable and they can do the DC40's your talking about.
Madswede
Simulpost! cool_shades.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(a914luvr @ Mar 29 2013, 07:56 PM) *

I had the ones for my 911S done by these guys;

http://drcamshafts.com/

I thought they were reasonable and they can do the DC40's your talking about.

That would have been my first choice, but I'm doing another engine right now and Camgrinder and the cams ordered are MIA since last fall.
I don't want to send off my cores and get them back in time for the 2016 season.
a914luvr
great minds think alike!
GeorgeRud
Don't know if he can help, but you might try contacting Henry Schmidt at Supertec in Fallbrook, Ca. He just got me some 911s cams for my 2.7 rebuild.
JmuRiz
I was going to say contact Henry too...give him the specs you gave us and where you want your power (low/mid/high) rpm and he should be able to guide you.

George:what's you plan for the 2.7? I have a 2.7cis and have been on the fence...every option seems good from people I've talked with (as-is stock, sc cam with CIS, full rebuild with webers or EFI)
Peashooter
I'm building a 2.7 to put in my car. I have a set of new Crane cams that are pretty much the same as a GE60 grind, close to a 911S cam. I'd like to find a good set of E cams, and would make a deal with the Crane stuff. Not sure that I want a cam as peaky as an S cam for a street car. Maybe if it was a 3.0, which has more torque.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Peashooter @ Mar 29 2013, 10:06 PM) *

I'm building a 2.7 to put in my car. I have a set of new Crane cams that are pretty much the same as a GE60 grind, close to a 911S cam. I'd like to find a good set of E cams, and would make a deal with the Crane stuff. Not sure that I want a cam as peaky as an S cam for a street car. Maybe if it was a 3.0, which has more torque.

I don't know on that one... I can't even find a listing for porsche on the crane site. I don't fancy getting stuck with a cam I don't like as well.

I'm looking for that perfect in between cam, a cross of hot, with good street characteristics, OK MPG and an acceptable idle.
I know there is no perfect cam, so I'm looking for the best compromise.

Cairo94507
Henry at Supetech is a great guy! Bought my 2.0 engine from him.
GeorgeRud
I had the equivalent of E cams (GE20) in the engine previously, and it worked very nicely with the RS piston/cylinders and PMO carbs. Pretty much what Bruce Anderson recommended in his book. We bumped the cams to a slightly hotter setup as the engine does have enough torque for the 914-6, and wanted a bit more top end 'oomph'. I had to have the engine rebuilt when it pulled the Timeserts on the head studs. Now, Casesavers hopefully will keep it together.

Without changing out the pistons, I don't know how much of a cam you can use with the 2.7 CIS pistons. Again, Henry can probably give you some good advice.
Socalandy
QUOTE(Madswede @ Mar 29 2013, 04:55 PM) *

Dougherty racing cams. w00t.gif

agree.gif this is who I used with great recomendations
Peashooter
I guess Crane no longer makes the cams for the 911, but I do have them!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
That is high lift at the valve. I think it's again, like the RSR cams I was looking at, too hot for street use.

Here is more info on your cams.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...-used-them.html
pictures of cams... journal 49mm- late styleClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Peashooter
Thanks for the additional info. It sounds as f you are looking for the same thing that I am, a nice strong street engine with a good mid-range. I also have what I think is a set of the Solex cams. They might be a better bet than the Crane cams. My engine will have the Euro pistons and Weber carbs.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(396 @ Mar 30 2013, 11:32 AM) *

pictures of cams... journal 49mm- late styleClick to view attachment Click to view attachment

smile.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Peashooter @ Mar 30 2013, 03:15 PM) *

Thanks for the additional info. It sounds as f you are looking for the same thing that I am, a nice strong street engine with a good mid-range. I also have what I think is a set of the Solex cams. They might be a better bet than the Crane cams. My engine will have the Euro pistons and Weber carbs.

Peashooter those are most likely welded cams, if you can't sell them you should be able to get them reground almost any profile you want with no weld labour.
Send them to Elgin or DR cams and they should cut you a price break. At worse case you will still break even.

BTW a hard welded cam is a good thing wink.gif
Peashooter
Not so sure about that, the word CRANE is cast into the camshaft. Pretty sure they are new, but yes, I could have them reground. I might give those boys a call.
Dr Evil
Bummer on the MIA folk. I got my SC cams for the 2.7 CIS ground from Dougherty/Camgrinder/DrCam when he was working at Elgin (if he has moved on). It was $200 and the SC cams really fit a stock 2.7 CIS well (since someone brought it up).
IronHillRestorations
I'd suggest something like a GE60 or even GE80. My .02 would be that with RSR pistons and twin plugs, anything less than S cams would be a waste of engine parts.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(9146986 @ Apr 1 2013, 01:52 PM) *

I'd suggest something like a GE60 or even GE80. My .02 would be that with RSR pistons and twin plugs, anything less than S cams would be a waste of engine parts.

agree.gif The plan is being tweeked slightly smile.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 1 2013, 03:47 PM) *

QUOTE(9146986 @ Apr 1 2013, 01:52 PM) *

agree.gif The plan is being tweeked slightly smile.gif

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 31 2013, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(396 @ Mar 30 2013, 11:32 AM) *

pictures of cams... journal 49mm- late style
IPB Image

smile.gif

Made a deal with Peter (369) smile.gif
I was looking at these cams before, but the previous guy had 3 bearing and they were a "copy" of this cam. This is the real deal NIB hardwelded 4 bearing WEBCAM and it's like a GE/DC-60 with a little bit better driveablity.
A little bit more than I was after, but with my pistons I'm sliding on the slope anyways. biggrin.gif

914world ROCKS! aktion035.gif
This helps Peter as he needs work on his existing /6 engine (same cams) and helps me out me with my project.

Thanks Peter and 914world beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.