Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 914, VW Turbo diesel swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
The topic line says it all.
Cap'n Krusty
Yes. And the smog requirements go with either the engine or the chassis, whichever is newer .....................

The Cap'n
bandjoey
crazy question.......who's gonna check on what motor's in the car if we don't tellum?
dfelz
Your car is also a 76, so even the stock version needs to pass smog in CA, 75 and earlier are excluded from required smog test. So either way, even if was an old school diesel, which i am assuming that wasnt your plan the car would need to be smoged.

But those vw turbo diesels are great, i love them. The 1.8 from the 2000 era golt TDIs are awesome, i have a few friends that have them, one who is a diesel mechanic that outfitted the engine for more ponies biggrin.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 29 2013, 03:27 PM) *

crazy question.......who's gonna check on what motor's in the car if we don't tellum?

The smog tech when he does the biannual smog inspection required for a 1976 car in California.

Dr Evil
If you transplant the whole diesel with all the computers and what not you can get it exempted.
a914622
or if you transplant the 1.6 td or 1.9 td and get it licenced Diesel i think your smog checks go away? There has been guys swapping diesel into there 82-89 vanagons. Once they get a referee ok the title gets a "diesel type" and there smog goes away.
I dont live there just passing on what i have read on the vanagon swaps.

jcl
Dave_Darling
I think that most diesels don't have to pass emissions. The newest ones may, but I don't believe the older ones do.

Well worth looking up at dmv.ca.gov if you're looking into a swap like that.

--DD
TurboWalt
Vehicles that qualify for an exemption from smog check:
"Diesel powered 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs"

In order to make that work for you would most likely require an appointment with the smog "refree". They would verify that you indeed have a diesel. The kicker is whether or not the ref just say's "yep it's a diesel" and sends you on your way. Or if they decide to needle you and check that every single emission related component required for your donor engine is there. They know that the diesel will be exempt from further inspection so I don't know how tough they are on the diesel swaps. On the petrol swaps they need to do a good job so future smog checks can be performed at a regular vs referee station. One solid rule regarding engine swaps in CA, your donor engine must be from the same model year or newer than your chassis. Once your good with the referee, DMV will change the fuel on your title (no more smog checks).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.