Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 1973 Dark grey 2.0L, $4800 OBO
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
chocolate.curry
Up for sale is my 1973 914 2.0L. This car has a solid body, excellent mechanicals and handling - it's a driver, not a garage queen! I purchased this car a little over 4 years ago in 2008 (at the insistence of my now wife!), and have steadily been working on it from the inside out. But, the time has come to pare down my projects in preparation for a home purchase.. I'm incredibly sad to let this car go, but the amount of driving I do is so low that it's almost criminal. I have put less than 5K miles since it was purchased. It is an awesome driver and puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it. Would be perfect for someone looking for a car to race or autocross with.

Asking price is $5850 OBO $4800 OBO $4000 OBO $3800 OBO with all spares; see below for all the details. I think the overall condition and maintenance justifies the price -- I hope you agree! All maintenance has been done at CFR-Tangerine Racing (in CT) since I've owned the car, and I have over $8K in receipts after purchasing.

History
The previous owner told me this car was originally from NC, and prepped for track use there. The VIN is 4732904764; it was been in the registry prior to my purchase. Records then put this car in Montreal, and then Burlington, VT where I purchased it. It has been covered and/or garaged by the previous owner and myself. In MA it was driven in summer/fall and covered/garaged the rest of the year. It moved with me to New Orleans, and has been covered and protected from the elements.

Body
The previous owner states that the car was stripped and prepped for track use, at that time it was painted dark grey (original color was Olympic Blue). Looks like the body was cleaned up, surfaces were resealed, and door/window seals were replaced. Currently there are a few minor rust spots in the usual places, but the chassis overall is very solid, with solid longs, floorboards, trunks, etc. Floorboards have been sealed with POR-15, and minor rust has been treated with Ospho. The clutch tube was on its way out when I purchased this car, CFR did a *proper* clutch tube repair. The hell hole was repaired when I purchased it, and I considered doing a stock repair, but CFR recommended leaving it alone as it was a relatively solid repair. Like all 914s it is not watertight, but I have most of the new seals needed to seal up the targa. Front trunk leaks a little under heavy rain, I usually just keep an eye on it. The paint job is decent and shines up well. The pictures (from today) show it pretty dirty - it could use a good detailing but I think it still looks pretty good! I will also post recent pictures of longs/undercarriage when I take it in for an oil change.

Engine/Transmission
The engine was rebuilt in 2001/2002 from a 1.8L into a 2.0L and converted to 44IDF carbs. The car has a Mallory Unilite distributor with Hyfire AL ignition; carbs were recently rebuilt and tuned by CFR. At that time, the ignition timing was also recurved for the carbs/engine. The transmission linkage was serviced and the transmission was rebuilt about two years ago by CFR as well. Fuel lines have been converted to stainless. The car also has a front mount oil cooler, and Bursch exhaust.

Brakes/Suspension
The car had stainless brake lines all around when I purchased it; new front brakes (PMB) and pads all around were installed by CFR in 2008. CFR also installed a master cylinder brace to stiffen up the brake feel. The car also has a rebuilt pedal cluster (from BDStone) installed. The car had larger sway bars installed with new Bilsteins all around; CFR did a full alignment in 2008, and has Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs installed (awesome tire!). Rear suspension bushings were replaced with stock, front a-arm bushings were confirmed to be in good shape. Transmission mounts were replaced with 911 sport mounts and engine mounts and brackets were replaced with stock.

Other
The interior is pretty minimalist from its racing days. The car has no heat, vent system, etc. The driver's seat is a Sparco racing seat, and the passenger seat is in good condition as is the back pad. But, it does have a good condition carpet kit over the floorboards. I have a driver's seat that is in good structural shape that just needs recovering. Car has a vintage MOMO wheel, and Grant MOMO hub; also has a really nice machined shift knob I picked up on the forums. Headlights and relays were upgraded to Hella 60W and set up by CFR. Battery is a nice deep-cycle Odyssey PC980.

Spares
I still have a bunch of parts for various projects I've been meaning to get to:

* McMark trigger wheel and sensor mount for a crank trigger setup. This can be used with Megasquirt or any aftermarket system that supports a wasted spark ignition.

* Engman pedal board - I got in on the group buy but never got around to installing it. This one is a beauty!

* All seals necessary to seal roof/targa from Mikey914.

* Full stock D-jet system (absolutely all hardware) to take the fuel system back to stock. The grand plan was to use this set up to switch back to fuel injection, replacing the injectors, MPS and ECU with a Megasquirt or Electromotive setup.

* Mint condition hub caps.

Pictures follow, I am happy to send higher resolution pictures or of anything else you want to see by email - just ask! I also have a new, uninstalled Electromotive TEC-GT system for sale separately; contact me for details. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
chocolate.curry
Just wanted to bump this ad. I've been ambivalent about selling my teener because I love it so much. But, it doesn't get driven much, and I just bought a house that needs a lot of work sad.gif And to top it all off, we've got another little one on the way smile.gif So let's just say I'm a motivated seller... time to get serious and let my 914 go to the next lucky soul. Please PM if you have questions!
chocolate.curry
More pictures of the undercarriage. All pretty clean - this was an NC car originally. Never driven in the rain and always garaged or covered. Still trying to find a lift so I can get good underside pictures of the longs, but they are solid.
Andyrew
Cool look with the moonies low pro tires and lowered!
patrick3000
I so want this but just not in the cards right now, good luck with your sale
chocolate.curry
Ok folks, time to get serious and help someone get an awesome deal! Renovations continue undaunted and my wife isn't getting any less pregnant smile.gif I got some initial interest but folks were concerned with shipping costs. I've lowered the price yet again to account for that - please PM if you are interested!
rwilner
I read your description, maybe I missed it, but is that large radiator-type thing in the front an oil cooler? Do you have any more details about that...what type is it, how's it plumbed etc?
chocolate.curry
Yes, it's a front mount oil cooler - not sure on volume or brand, but the plumbing runs under the belly and up behind the cooler through the front trunk. Nothing fancy, they just used standard rubber hose and fittings. You can see the hoses running under the middle of the car in the undercarriage photos above.

QUOTE(rwilner @ Aug 26 2013, 06:57 AM) *

I read your description, maybe I missed it, but is that large radiator-type thing in the front an oil cooler? Do you have any more details about that...what type is it, how's it plumbed etc?
chocolate.curry
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif Come on guys... come and get it! New price of $3800 OBO -- I'm moving at the end of the week, renovations are almost complete and the invoices are rolling in. PM with questions if you're interested. And don't forget that I have a ton of spares that come with the car!
chocolate.curry
icon_bump.gif Well, coming up on a year since my first post - I have a partially renovated house and a recent newborn (2 days ago!). Don't see any time in the driver's seat of my teener any time soon. Come and get it in time for spring!
914itis
Pm sent.
914 carrera
Still for sale? Pm sent.
drifter914
QUOTE(chocolate.curry @ Mar 4 2014, 07:33 PM) *

icon_bump.gif Well, coming up on a year since my first post - I have a partially renovated house and a recent newborn (2 days ago!). Don't see any time in the driver's seat of my teener any time soon. Come and get it in time for spring!

Yes...I like it... PM sent... Terry
brooks944
PM sent,

Rick
Chocolate-

if you could update this that would be great, I think there are 6 of us that have PM'd you with interest
chocolate.curry
Sorry for the delay guys - car is sold pending receipt of funds. I'll update the thread again when it's finalized. Thank you for your interest!
914 carrera
Did the car sell ?
scotty b
QUOTE(patrick3000 @ Aug 1 2013, 02:11 PM) *

I so want this but just not in the cards right now, good luck with your sale

rolleyes.gif
billh1963
Is this the car? Now in Maryland for $6500?

1973 914 on Craigslist

bulitt
Better get a bay ready Scotty, Bills searching Craigslist'ssss lol-2.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(bulitt @ Apr 18 2014, 08:16 AM) *

Better get a bay ready Scotty, Bills searching Craigslist'ssss lol-2.gif

LOL...I do keep my eyes open biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
i think bill had his I.T. guys build a program that notifies him of all new 914 F/S listings on craigslist etc

billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 18 2014, 08:42 AM) *

i think bill had his I.T. guys build a program that notifies him of all new 914 F/S listings on craigslist etc

I'm just vigilant! evilgrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.