Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator Rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I have a Bosch out my '75 that needs rebuilding. I was quoted $100 by a local shop that will do the work in-house.

Just curious whether the pricing is in the ballpark and whether there is more I should be aware of
r3dplanet
Pelican charges $108. I did this myself last year after I spent $50 for an alternator rebuild at a local shop. It lasted two days. When I took it apart, I found that it had been "rebuilt" with a crap ton of WD40 only. Like everything else, a rebuild can mean many things to many people. If it's a good shop then I think $100 is reasonable. I spent the money with Pelican because everything I ever brought from them was top notch. Didn't want to screw around any more.

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 29 2013, 05:24 PM) *

I have a Bosch out my '75 that needs rebuilding. I was quoted $100 by a local shop that will do the work in-house.

Just curious whether the pricing is in the ballpark and whether there is more I should be aware of

Spoke
$100 isn't bad for a rebuild depending on what they plan to do.

Do you know what they would do?

I "rebuilt" 2 alternators last year by taking out the rotor and repacking the bearings with grease and cleaning the commutator and brushes.

Both alternator rotor commutators were very worn from the brushes. Not much can be done with those except put on new brushes.

I checked the diodes and spun the alternators up with an electric motor and belt to check for voltage.
914Sixer
Autohausaz.com for a factory Bosch rebuilt alternator. Under $85, free shipping and core charge.
reharvey
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 30 2013, 09:07 AM) *

Autohausaz.com for a factory Bosch rebuilt alternator. Under $85, free shipping and core charge.

agree.gif I've bought three of these for my cars without a problem.
stugray
Someone should do a AC delco conversion thread.
We could pin it to the tech articles thread.

I understand it is: easy, eliminates the voltage regulator in the relay board, and replacements cost less than $50.

Stu
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.