Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Digital Inspection Camera
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hot_shoe914
I know they say you get what you pay for and for the most part that is true. With that being established, does anyone on here have any experience or feedback on the digital inspection camera from Harbor Freight? confused24.gif I am considering buying one today but I wanted to here from the experts first. What say you guys?
Krieger
I got the one at Home Depot in October last year. It was about $100. I really like it.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 30 2013, 10:56 AM) *

I got the one at Home Depot in October last year. It was about $100. I really like it.

Reason I am asking, Harbor Freight has them on sale for 74.99 which doesn't sound too bad.
oldschool
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Mar 30 2013, 09:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 30 2013, 10:56 AM) *

Reason I am asking, Harbor Freight has them on sale for 74.99 which doesn't sound too bad.

I got that one way-back.used it on many projects...works fine so far.
tomeric914
I have the Harbor Freight one as well and it works ok. After using it for about a year, I wish that the "head" were a bit smaller to fit inside smaller spaces (like through a spark plug hole). The lighting is adjustable on the HF tool and the screen is rotatable in 90 deg increments (IIRC) as well as the image can be mirrored (IIRC).

One thing it has been a great help with is in throttle and/or clutch cable replacement because you can see inside the tunnel and make sure that the cables aren't twisted together.
oldschool
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Mar 30 2013, 09:41 AM) *

I have the Harbor Freight one as well and it works ok. After using it for about a year, I wish that the "head" were a bit smaller to fit inside smaller spaces (like through a spark plug hole). The lighting is adjustable on the HF tool and the screen is rotatable in 90 deg increments (IIRC) as well as the image can be mirrored (IIRC).

One thing it has been a great help with is in throttle and/or clutch cable replacement because you can see inside the tunnel and make sure that the cables aren't twisted together.
Ill add that the LCD monitor is removable.
stugray
I wish that the "head" were a bit smaller to fit inside smaller spaces (like through a spark plug hole

HA HA. My brother called me once for a really fast favor, but I was busy.
He wanted me to measure a spark plug to see if the head of the Home Depot (Ryobi I think) would fit down the sparkplug hole.
Since I didnt answer, he bought it anyway.

Well it doesnt fit, but is very useful for other stuff ;-)

Stu
hot_shoe914
Thanks guys, I owe you all a beer. beerchug.gif
tornik550
The harbor freight ones go on sale for $59 sometimes. I purchased one a few months back for that price. Has worked well so far. As mentioned- will not fit through spark plug holes (I have 12mm holes- I don't think it would fit through normal 14mm holes either).
tomeric914
I thought about the Ryobi because the head was smaller, but price won out. According to http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Tek4-Digi...#specifications, the cemera head is 0.35" or roughly 9mm.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Mar 30 2013, 03:40 PM) *

I thought about the Ryobi because the head was smaller, but price won out. According to http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Tek4-Digi...#specifications, the cemera head is 0.35" or roughly 9mm.

The Ryobi Tek4 is now 99.00 and the head would no way fit into a plug hole. However, Milwaukee Tool has one out that is very nice and will fit in the plug holes. Sad part is, it cost $200.00.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Mar 30 2013, 03:04 PM) *

The harbor freight ones go on sale for $59 sometimes. I purchased one a few months back for that price. Has worked well so far. As mentioned- will not fit through spark plug holes (I have 12mm holes- I don't think it would fit through normal 14mm holes either).

Harbor Fright has a couple of flavors. I bought this one: borescope with an 8,5mm probe. No complaints, does what I needed it to. Costco also has one from time to time. I bought the Harbor Fright version because Costco was out when I needed one. Naturally there was a pallet full the very next weekend...
saigon71
Shoe:

I bought a Cen-Tech inspection camera item #67980 from HF about a year ago...and I am very happy with it. I think I went up from the base model for a smaller head, so it would fit into spark plug holes. It's pretty slick...allows you to take pictures and save them as well.

I would recommend this product as it does everything I need it to do.

In my opinion, on inspection cameras - head size matters.

Bob
Krieger
The home Depot unit fit inside the spark plug hole and has a detachable monitor, attachable magnet, hook. Whistler brand.
euro911
I think they're [pretty much] all made by the same manufacturer confused24.gif

I had one of the first 'cheeeep' models from HF and it was total crap. Used it a couple of times, then it went out of focus. Never found a way to adjust the focus so I threw it away. It had a large diameter head so it wouldn't fit into a spark plug hole anyway.

I bought the more expensive HF one that does fit inside a spark plug hole. It works fine ... records too smile.gif
Krieger
Whatever you do, do not put the camera in your mouth or nostril while it's connected to the TV and your kids are watching. biggrin.gif
euro911
... so it's OK if you don't? huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.