Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat belt swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxerboy
Does anyone have experience swapping out the stock seatbelts in a '71 914-6 (not a conversion) with the retractable belts from a later 914-4? I plan to change out the seat, replacing the fixed passenger seat with an adjustable seat (after welding in the rails) and also swap out the back pad, but I'm not sure about the mounting points for the retractable belts vs the belts I have in the car now.

Also, would I have to change out the receiving end of the belts as well?
ClayPerrine
IIRC.. there is no mount behind the back pad in an factory /6. You would have to cut them out of the firewall of a later model 914 and weld them in to your /6. I personally wouldn't do it. You can buy bolt in retractable belts that will put the retractor up on the B-pillar. Check the Mid-America Motorworks catalog, I think that's where I saw them.
Van914
Clay is right.
I added the retractable belts to my 70 six.
Easy and they worked great.
They are a little pricey about $300 pair.
But what are U worth.
Van
Eric_Shea
Here's the welded in pocket...
SirAndy
agree.gif with what they ^^^ say ...

the later style /4 seatbelts won't fit unless you cut & weld in the later style mounting "pocket" on the firewall.

there are, however, aftermarket seatbelts that fit. IIRC there's also a VW-Bug belt that fits ...

cool.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
i hear 944/924 seatbelts fit too... unsure.gif
boxerboy
Does anyone know if the 924/944 belts require the same welded modifications as shown in the previous pictures? I think I would stay with the stock belts before trying to tackle that job. I would like retractable belts, but only if I could maintain the existing mount points.

I am out of the country at the moment and not able to look at what I have or even visualize this very well right now. I will take a closer look when I am back for the holidays and then post another thread if I need further help. Thanks to those who replied!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.