Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trans drain & fill tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
Next time you are having "a harder time finding the 17mm allen wrench locally than I did 90w"... Then try this trick.

I spent a while calling around trying to buy the 17mm allen tool locally... no luck "we could order one".

While buying Lucas SAE-80W-90 GEAR OIL, the previous customer was buying wheel lug bolts.
The catalog was open and I wondered "do they make metric lug bolts?" well of course they do.

IPB Image

17mm Head Lug Bolt - $3
I ground the sides flat to 11mm just to find I was able to get the plugs loose with a 17mm Open end (a flat one) under the shoulder of the stud.
$3 plug removal tool, and weighs about 1/5 for those that haul them around.

I applied pen oil and they didnt come right out.
Gently warmed up the case around the plugs with a torch for about a minute, and they popped right loose (very clean case).

Now for the trans oil:
Is Lucas SAE 80W-90 GEAR OIL - Trans & Diff Lube any good?
The label says "Exceeds service level API GL-4, API GL-5, API MT-1, SAE J2360 (MIL-PRF-2105E), MACK GO-J, PG-2 LIMITED SLIP" for anyone who knows what that means.

Stu
GeorgeRud
Great idea! Love folks that think outside the box.

steuspeed
That gear oil looks safe. If it says for limited slip or synthetic stay away. Look for GL-5 Hypoid gear oil. I ran the expensive trick SWEPCO and it was awful. I'm now running 914 spec GL-5 Hypoid from Carquest. They sell it by the gallon cheap.
stugray
Bump for: "Is this Lucas oil any good"

Stu
monkeyboy
I have been using it for the last year. My trans seems to like it.
Cap'n Krusty
"Safe". Absolutely NOT! The description contains the words "limited slip", and therefore contains friction modifiers. No way would I use it in a Fiat or other gearbox with "Fiat style" synchronizers. Ever. Stick with plain old "GL5".

The Cap'n
stugray
So if it says GL-5 (it does) AND limited slip, then no good?

Stu
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 1 2013, 08:39 AM) *

So if it says GL-5 (it does) AND limited slip, then no good?

Stu

Right.

"Exceeds service level API GL-4, API GL-5, API MT-1, SAE J2360 (MIL-PRF-2105E), MACK GO-J, PG-2 LIMITED SLIP"

See all those other specs listed? They ALL disqualify the product. The label should say "GL-5", and nothing else. No blends, no multiple applications, no no.

The Cap'n
Richard Casto
If I didn't have a clutch type LSD in my transmission, an oil that included friction modifiers for an LSD wouldn't be my first choice. But it may work just fine.

It is a balancing act regarding the friction modifiers for this transmission. Especially if you HAVE a clutch type LSD that may benefit from special oil. One one hand, the modifiers may make the "slip" more smooth and with less chatter/grab and slip on the LSD, but on the other hand it may impact the ability of the synchro system to work properly as it relies upon friction.

Richard
rhodyguy
in a pinch you can double nut the correct sized bolt and use that to back out the plug. fill hole plug first.
stugray
Cap'n

I had no idea how hard it was to find:
gear oil "GL-5" that does NOT SAY "limited slip" anywhere on the label.

Eventually did though... Thanks.

Stu
steuspeed
QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 1 2013, 01:30 PM) *

Cap'n

I had no idea how hard it was to find:
gear oil "GL-5" that does NOT SAY "limited slip" anywhere on the label.

Eventually did though... Thanks.

Stu

Had the exact same issue!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.