Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 930 driveshafts in 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IanJ
Ok so I've been a bit slack on my subaru conversion due to a crazy work schedule.
This weekend I've finally managed to get the engine in the cradle and mount it up to the car (Thanks Ian @ Coldwater and Todd @ subarugears for some excellently fabricated parts and my friend Mark for his help).

Now onto the topic....

I've picked up some updated 930 driveshafts which I'll use with the subarugears adaptors.
What do I need at the hub end? I am converting from 4 to 5 hub at the same time.
The plan was to keep the 914 handbrake and buy a 911 hub but I'll need a spindle too.
So which parts do I need? Any pitfalls or just buy the right combo?

Thanks
Ian

IPB Image
IPB Image
IanJ
Sorry to bump this but can anyone help?
McMark
I believe both SirAndy and Aaron Cox did a couple writeups on converting to 5-lug with 911 and/or 944 parts. These will probably get you a good idea of what you need to do.

This is the challenge of doing things that haven't been done before. You can't just ask. You have to spend hours researching and learning. I spend 10-15 hours a week just searching, reading and learning for some of the crazy stuff I do.
skeates
I'm in the middle of doing a similar conversion. As far as I know, the only way to maintain the stock parking brake is to use either the stock rear caliper with machined x19-6 rear rotors, or go to the x19-6 rear calipers & rotors. With the 911 hub you'll need the 911 stub axles and then from there you can run the 911 CVs on the hub side.

I haven't looked at the subarugears adapters, but I'd imagine you'll need to take some measurements with the stub axle and cv in place to figure out what length axle to run. My plan is to run a custom sway-away axle with 911 splines on the hub side and ricer splines for the trany (I'm sticking with teh stock ricer "CV"), but I believe others have successfully run a stock axle (not sure if it was x19 or 911 or other?) with the transmission cv adapters.
Spoke
Will the 930 CV bolt to a 911 hub? I know the 930 hub has different bearings than the standard 911 hub.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
matthepcat
930 CV's & 911's are 108 mm. 930 have 28 spline (coarse), and you can find 28 spline hubs to match.

The rears will need a 5mm spacer, as the bearing surface is smaller on a teener.
IPB Image
IanJ
Thanks guys. I have been digging around but TBH there is so much information out there I am not sure what way to go. My car will be kicking out quite a bit of power and i see the 930 as being a reliable way to go (and they were reasonably local. Parts aren't as plentiful in Aus as the US/Europe)

Spoke,
I guess thats the real question. Will a 930 driveshaft bolt up to a 911 hub/stub axle?
From Matt's info above it seems the combo will work as they are both 108mm.

Because I'm using the subarugears adaptors i think i am in a better position than just bolting onto the 901 as they offer extended length adaptors (currently confirming with Todd if I need these or not)

If I can use 911 stubs then I can go down the 'easy' road and stick with the x19 ebrake for now. I've still got so many 'little' jobs to do to get this car on the road I'd rather keep it simple for now!

p.s My stock shafts were toast so I needed to get replacements
pcar916
The 930 CV's are 108's, but the 911's are 100mm, as are the 944's. The 930 and 911 splines are indeed the same though. The 914 spline-count is the same as the 944.

911 axles (including 930) are not long enough to use in 914's if you're using the 914, 915 or 930 transaxles without a spacer. I don't know about the flange spacing on a Suby transaxle.

I just measured both a 914 and 915 and the distance from left to right flanges is ~240 cm, or about 9.5 inches. I'm not near my 108mm CV/axles to measure the thickness of the spacers but somebody out there is using them and can transmit the measurement. To the hub...

I think you're talking about the stub axles and those bearings. I'm using 911 SC (1979) stub axles and hubs (hats) and have used both 914-6 stub axles as well and they have both fit perfectly. Right now I'm using 100mm 944 CV's and modified 914 axles because the splines fit. I used the 930 axles/CV's with spacers for a couple of years as well with no problems. They're WAY heavy though. Like pounds heavier per axle.

Good luck
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Apr 1 2013, 05:14 PM) *

The 930 CV's are 108's, but the 911's are 100mm, as are the 944's. The 930 and 911 splines are indeed the same though. The 914 spline-count is the same as the 944.

911 axles (including 930) are not long enough to use in 914's if you're using the 914, 915 or 930 transaxles without a spacer. I don't know about the flange spacing on a Suby transaxle.

I just measured both a 914 and 915 and the distance from left to right flanges is ~240 cm, or about 9.5 inches. I'm not near my 108mm CV/axles to measure the thickness of the spacers but somebody out there is using them and can transmit the measurement. To the hub...

I think you're talking about the stub axles and those bearings. I'm using 911 SC (1979) stub axles and hubs (hats) and have used both 914-6 stub axles as well and they have both fit perfectly. Right now I'm using 100mm 944 CV's and modified 914 axles because the splines fit. I used the 930 axles/CV's with spacers for a couple of years as well with no problems. They're WAY heavy though. Like pounds heavier per axle.

Good luck

I hope someone out there can help my car has a 911 sc 3.0 and it sounds awsome if I feed a little gas through a spray bottle
WUR (warm up reg is fine)
Cold start valve is fine
It is wired right and I am at a lose as to why it wont idle on its own.
Pleas if anyone can help or point me to someone who can help
I have stuck with the stocke 911 injector system
IanJ
Thanks PCar.

You don't happen to know the measurement of those spacers do you? Are these a standard part available from somewhere?

I'm not so worried about weight at the moment (should have enough power to overcome that) more about reliablity and safety.
pcar916
QUOTE(Phil Plummer @ Apr 2 2013, 07:24 AM) *

I hope someone out there can help my car has a 911 sc 3.0...

This needs to be a separate post on the main garage page. Make the subject (Title) as descriptive as possible.

Good luck
pcar916
QUOTE(IanJ @ Apr 2 2013, 07:31 AM) *

Thanks PCar.

You don't happen to know the measurement of those spacers do you? Are these a standard part available from somewhere?

I'm not so worried about weight at the moment (should have enough power to overcome that) more about reliablity and safety.

If I'm not too far wrong they were about 1/2in thick, but I'm not where I can get to them to measure. I'll have to do a bit of pokin' around the web to find them again and will post if I locate a URL. In the meantime...

You might want to consider SwayAway axles that fit perfectly and are thicker like the 930 axles. Then you don't have to worry about the spacers at all. I'm only running, let's say, ~270hp and the 100mm CV's are fine.

What's the distance between your flanges at the CV mating surfaces?
IanJ
Thanks Pcar. Unfortunately I'm not near the car as I am away with work.
I'm getting sent two new sizes of flange so will measure/report when I get back.
What stub axle/hub combo did you run?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.