Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 914 1.7L Shopping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RangerRhett
Hey all...
If I was going to look for a 914. Say one for sale in my area...oh and I don't know...maybe it is a 1973 1.7L...

What can I do to look like I know what I am talking about as far as interior quality, exterior rust (if there is any) and its value...

The ad describes it as in good condition and it is in running condition...

asking $3000.00 This seems high for a 1.7L....

Please Help or point me in the right direction....

My father's car of old
smooth_eddy
Hi Ranger...

Before you buy any 914, go to Auto Atlanta's web site. Buy the "How to buy a 914" book. It is under 20 bucks I think, and will tell you everything to look for (and what to stay away from) in purchasing a 914. Good luck and remember, the best one come from So. Cal. Eddy
spare time toys
Also get those visions of Dads old car out of your head. Look at what it is not what you think it could be.
Robert21
smash.gif look for a 73 or 74 get a 2.0 if you get a 1.7
you will in a short time you will want a 2.0 . look for rust . i would try and buy one from the 914 club
Carlitos Way
There's a young lady... I believe Michelle is her name, who is selling a really nice 76 in SLO. She placed an ad in our classifieds section not long ago. DOn't know if you're set on the earlier models, but her car seems to be pretty nice. Unfortunately, if you buy it, it does need a new engine overhaul, but it seems to be a nice, complete car otherwise. Smog might be an issue with it right now, but probably OK after a rebuild.

Good luck,

Carlos
Bleyseng
Queenie has a 76 Palma Metallic Green for sale too.
Rhodes71/914
$3000 does seem a bit high for a 1.7, could be in near perfect condition and rust freee (ya right).

If you are going to look at this car you might as well know a little bit.

Well I'm no expert but since nobody has given any advice on what to actually look for I'll my .02 in for ya.

Definitely look under the battery tray, if you have done any reading here you will know that this is one of the major trouble spots due to water running on battery and spreading battery acid down under the battery tray. This can lead to issues if it is bad. Poke the metal under there with a screw driver, if the owner will let you.

If at all possible remove the rocker panels and look at the longs, these are under the doors and run the length of the middle of the car. If you see rust poke at it with a screw driver.

If either of those spots is bad walk away at that price.

I would also recomend taking your time. If you are willing to spend $3000.00 you should be able to find a decent car. Watch the classifieds here.
Dave_Darling
There's a "How to Buy a 914" article on Pelican's website. Also the old 914 FAQ which has a lot of info in it...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.