Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Strut Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
struckn
Started hearing a noise coming from the front left wheel going over bumps, like something had come loose in the suspension. No change in handling or stearing noticed just a noise. I jacked the front left up at the frame jacking ring so the wheel hung off the ground. I can easily lift the wheel up about an inch so think this is what is making the sound.

Looking at the shock and strut assembly I can see what looks like the threaded part in the picture, up in the very bottom of the Top Strut tube. Isn't this supposed to be screwed into something? Maybe the lower tube or shock. If so, I'll try to slide it down the rod and hopefully screw it in. Pretty sure that will be the fix if it's not damaged.

(This picture was from someone elses Thread but looks like the same Strut that I have)

IPB Image
TargaToy
Yes. That collar is supposed to thread into the top of the strut tube.
struckn
Thanks Targa Toy, now I need to get under the car and hopefully be able to dislodge the part from the Upper Cover and slide it down to the lower one to screw it in. Don't want to have to replace or take everything apart.
rhodyguy
jack it up and take the wheel off. be careful, compress the strut and you can pull the top of strut out of the wheel well. screw the retainer cap in and reef on it with a pipe wrench.
struckn
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 1 2013, 06:32 AM) *

jack it up and take the wheel off. be careful, compress the strut and you can pull the top of strut out of the wheel well. screw the retainer cap in and reef on it with a pipe wrench.

Thanks rhody, gonna fix it tonght.
TargaToy
Were the parts OK? I was wondering if they got chewed a bit when that collar was just barely hanging onto the last bit of thread.
struckn
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Apr 1 2013, 04:43 PM) *

Were the parts OK? I was wondering if they got chewed a bit when that collar was just barely hanging onto the last bit of thread.

Fixed it! You guys were spot on. No damage done to the strut or shock insert.

Rhody you made it very easy, did like you said, jacked the car up letting the wheel hang extending the shock, took wheel off, took top bolt off the shock and pushed the shock rod down and out of the mount. Got it far enough down to lift the top strut tube up high enough to get the collar and pull it down to the lower strut tube.

Screwed the cap in by hand and then cranked on it with a pipe wrench untill tight. Reversed the proceedure and done. Went for a shake down ride and smooth as silk.
Thanks Guys.

Doug

piratenanner.gif driving.gif
rhodyguy
party on garth...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.