Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: problems with car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
ok...got car running...its idles fine....but when under acceleration, it pops through the carb like the exhaust is coming through the intake. Its not a typical carb pop. Any ideas suggestions?
SirAndy
Any ideas suggestions?

too lean ...
DrifterJay
its not lean...you could smell it if it was
DrifterJay
could an intake valve be too tight...making it fire inside the carb?
SirAndy
QUOTE(DrifterJay @ Nov 20 2004, 12:09 PM)
its not lean...you could smell it if it was

could an intake valve be too tight...making it fire inside the carb?

when was the last time you adjusted the valves ???

as for the smell, i always thought you could smell too rich instead ...
wink.gif Andy
DrifterJay
couple of hours before putting the motor in....I even ran the motor before it was in the car to check the valves...
SirAndy
QUOTE(DrifterJay @ Nov 20 2004, 01:28 PM)
couple of hours before putting the motor in....I even ran the motor before it was in the car to check the valves...

well then, i stick with my initial thought:

too lean!

cool.gif Andy
redshift
Overadvanced and too lean.

Misadjusted valves may add to that.

M
Aaron Cox
intakes arent too tight?
DrifterJay
ok
figured out the problem...sort of....all the valves are good spacing wise....the popping from number two is because the exhaust valve on that cylinder is not opening or closing fully...not even 25 percent....what are your thoughts? Bent pushrod? The valve is adjusted right. I am betting on a bent pushrod...if so....I will drop the engine down a few inches...pull the rockers and check the pushrod......Any advice though from anybody?....Did a compression check also...they are all 112-107...have spark on all cylinders...and fuel in every cylinder...Gap is good in distributor as is the timing....So I am certain on the pushrod being jacked up...
DrifterJay
bump
Aaron Cox
bad cam/lifter????
DrifterJay
hmmm maybe...
Aaron Cox
that would suck

i may be able to come over...im bored
DrifterJay
bump....changed the pushrod...(which was indeed slightly bent)....but the valve still does not do a full motion like the other exhaust valves....? any ideas suggestions...??? sad.gif
Dave_Darling
Is the valve tip even with the other valve tips when the valve is closed?

Hrm, wait--you said even compression so it's unlikely to be a dropped seat.

OK, pull the lifter itself out and inspect it. It's unlikely to be the cam if it's only one cylinder (cam lobes are shared by the two opposite cylinders), but maybe a lifter.

Is the rocker arm correct? Did you torque the rocker shaft nuts correctly? (That cylinder at TDC, 10 lb-ft of torque.)

Can't think of anything else offhand.

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
If the adjustment is correct, the motion should be correct. A bad lifter or a bent pushrod would be compensated for by the adjuster, and a flat cam would, too. A flat cam would appear bad on both sides of the engine. Might be a bad guide, seizing the valve at times. The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
well - its bad on both sides for this one lobe. sad.gif so..now what????
redshift
Drink beer.

M
SirAndy
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 20 2004, 06:18 PM)
well - its bad on both sides for this one lobe. sad.gif so..now what????

new cam ...

sad.gif Andy
DJsRepS
If its a 1.7 buy an upgraded runner from someone stick it in and drive then split the case and spend some $$. Going to need cam and lifters but when its that far apart you cant stop there. Hope you have a 2.0!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.