Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High beams not working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cbuehling
I have some high beam issues on my 74 2.0L I have not been able to figure out... when I push/pull the turn signal switch I can hear the relay click on first engage but the switch doesn't click into the high beam position nor does the high beam signal light in the dash turn on, nor do the high beams turn on.

I've checked the relay, it seems to work fine, cables should be connected correctly as it used to work in this setup. Regular headlights / fog lights work fine, one thing to note is as soon as the key is turned my headlights are on w/o them being up (never looked into that more closely)

Also, when I use the turn signal switch to go left on first engage I always hear some relay click, but the turn signals always work fine.

I've also thought about the possibility that maybe my high beams are always on and I just can't turn them off, they do seem a bit brighter than what I remember from before.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot, Clemens.

Mike Bellis
Relay can go bad and still click.
cbuehling
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 31 2013, 09:28 PM) *

Relay can go bad and still click.

That's totally possible, my check was purely based on checking resistance which seemed pretty low around 15ohm, and a click when I put 12v on the other two connectors.

Something like this should do it, right: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-ORIGINAL-GENU...253&vxp=mtr
Mike Bellis
Looks like it may work. There is a plastic cam inside the relay. It's triggered by a solenoid. As the cam wears, it will not toggle the contacts, even though the solenoid still works (clicks).
Chris Pincetich
I need to buy one of these relays ASAP - my headlights can't get HIGH
smoke.gif

I see a new one that is black, part # 111 941 583
seems to be OEM Porsche (but maybe EMPI??)

I see a used one that is silver, part # 321 941 583

I see a new EMPI part, black, part # 111 941 583
(EMPI is not OEM, is it??)

I've bought off-brand electrical parts before and they were not 100% so want to get one that is correct and w best chance of long-life.

WHICH ONE is best??

Also - I have the H4 upgraded headlights and found this other relay on Pelican Parts

High Power Headlamp Relay Brand: Wehrle, part # 141-951-253-B-M206
What about this one? Is it in addition to the others or instead of??? What's up w Pelican not having the regular 914 headlight relay??

I am driving the 914 a lot on curvy roads w lots of wildlife and want those high-beams to work at night beerchug.gif
cbuehling
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Apr 4 2013, 08:50 AM) *

I need to buy one of these relays ASAP - my headlights can't get HIGH
smoke.gif

I see a new one that is black, part # 111 941 583
seems to be OEM Porsche (but maybe EMPI??)

I see a used one that is silver, part # 321 941 583

I see a new EMPI part, black, part # 111 941 583
(EMPI is not OEM, is it??)

I've bought off-brand electrical parts before and they were not 100% so want to get one that is correct and w best chance of long-life.

WHICH ONE is best??

Also - I have the H4 upgraded headlights and found this other relay on Pelican Parts

High Power Headlamp Relay Brand: Wehrle, part # 141-951-253-B-M206
What about this one? Is it in addition to the others or instead of??? What's up w Pelican not having the regular 914 headlight relay??

I am driving the 914 a lot on curvy roads w lots of wildlife and want those high-beams to work at night beerchug.gif

I ended up buying exactly the one I posted above and just installed it, works great. Was indeed just a broken relay. Thanks a lot for the help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.