Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
florida 914
I have a 76 x19 2.0 with starter issues. The starter does not disengage unless the key is completely off (the intermediate, accessories position does not work -- it's either starting, or nothing). On the advice of the other forum, I tried pulling the yellow wire off once started, and it runs fine then. Supposedly that meant it was the ignition switch, but when I replaced it the problem persisted. So then I was told the starter solenoid was bad, so I replaced the starter. Still the same. I then tried a second new switch in the hopes that the first one was merely defective, but it's still the same issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
florida 914
Oops: "x19" is a typo. I meant x19.

QUOTE(florida x19 @ Apr 1 2013, 07:01 PM) *

I have a 76 x19 2.0 with starter issues. The starter does not disengage unless the key is completely off (the intermediate, accessories position does not work -- it's either starting, or nothing). On the advice of the other forum, I tried pulling the yellow wire off once started, and it runs fine then. Supposedly that meant it was the ignition switch, but when I replaced it the problem persisted. So then I was told the starter solenoid was bad, so I replaced the starter. Still the same. I then tried a second new switch in the hopes that the first one was merely defective, but it's still the same issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

ConeDodger
If you have X19 problems we can refer you to a Fiat forum... dry.gif
AE354803
Since you replaced the ignition switch and no help and the starter with no help, I would suspect that a wire is installed incorrectly on the ignition switch and is giving juice to the START circuit when in the RUN position.

I'm guessing you reinstalled the ignition switch wires on the same pins that they were on before?

Try disconnecting the Yellow wire from the ignition switch after you put it to run, if that stops the starter then either both switches are bad or you are on the wrong pin. If not, I would start checking out the relay board

How/when/what was done to the car right before this happened?

I would take the ignition switch out, hook a wire from battery directly to the "battery in" wire on the ignition switch and figure out which pins are hot on which key positions just to make sure.
florida 914

Thanks. Nothing was done to the car before this. I was driving it every day, and one morning it was like this.

QUOTE(AE354803 @ Apr 1 2013, 07:37 PM) *

Since you replaced the ignition switch and no help and the starter with no help, I would suspect that a wire is installed incorrectly on the ignition switch and is giving juice to the START circuit when in the RUN position.

I'm guessing you reinstalled the ignition switch wires on the same pins that they were on before?

Try disconnecting the Yellow wire from the ignition switch after you put it to run, if that stops the starter then either both switches are bad or you are on the wrong pin. If not, I would start checking out the relay board

I would take the ignition switch out, hook a wire from battery directly to the "battery in" wire on the ignition switch and figure out which pins are hot on which key positions just to make sure.

AE354803
disconnect the yellow wire from the starter, then disconnect the wire from the ignition switch to the board

Turn the key to "run" start seeing where you have voltage on the yellow wire.

If you have voltage at the ignition switch, something is wrong in there

If you have voltage at the yellow line going to the starter, something is wrong with the relay board or wiring going into it.
florida 914
Is it possible to plug in the ignition switch incorrectly? I can only find one way for it to go. Also, this problem just started one day without me having changed anything.

QUOTE(AE354803 @ Apr 1 2013, 07:37 PM) *

florida 914
For the record, this ended up being a bad ECM relay -- a very odd culprit, since the car was long ago converted to carbs. Somehow the burned-out relay was messing up the works. I'll say it for the thousandth time: I do not understand electricity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.