Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 1973 914 2.0 NE WI $6800 OBO
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
guy_914
SOLD!....

This car started out from the factory as an original 4 cylinder, 2.0 liter model, with appearance group in 1973...VIN#4732911247, engine from the GA series....the original 2.0 engine to my understanding. It was originally sunflower yellow. However a quality re-paint was done in Guards Red around 1985...from what the previous owner could tell me.

The previous owner was not very knowledgeable about the car or its history. I bought the car in June of 1990. The previous owner had some had some minor work done on the car right before I bought it....and those records (June 1990) show an odometer reading of 56134...but I noted that the odometer was not working when I got the car. The odometer read 56147....and I never repaired or changed the odometer from that point on....just something I never got to. So the actual mileage on the chassis since new is unknown to me. The title is clean as issued by the State of Wisconsin.

When I got the car, I decided to take it apart and update, restore much of it. It was not my goal to make this a "perfect" example of a x19. However...reliability and stability was important to me. This process took over 5 years, before the car was running again and road worthy.

Body/Chassis

Since a previous owner had painted it Guards Red...and went to a lot of trouble to have it painted and detailed inside the engine compartment, the front and rear trunks,door jambs, etc....I decided to have the car stripped to bare metal on the exterior and re-painted again in Guards Red. As we took the car apart....my shop and I found rust / corrosion around the battery area...common on 914s. So I had them remove the metal below the battery, the "hell hole" and replace that area sheet metal, then prime and re-paint it. Also we decided to replace the battery tray mount with a new available unit welded in. Since we had stripped the car of its upholstery, mechanicals, etc.....we were able to view the body, pan and side longitudinals in detail. We observed again some rust damage in a number of places so I and my shop decided to rework and/or replace the rusted areas as needed. They used some x19 specific, after market sheet metal restoration pieces on the side longitudinals to strengthen them, as well as renewing the rear corner gussets at the pan level on both sides as well as the jack supports at the gussets. My shops stated goal was to actually make the car stronger than it was originally through their efforts. Once all the metal work was finished, primed, etc....the shop used a German Spies Hecker paint to finish the car. When we had the car apart...my shop commented that other than the rust / corrosion issues they found ....it appeared the car had never sustained significant body or chassis damage due to an accident. The underside of car, primarily the pan, was then sprayed with a rubberized coating to seal it. The only flaw I noticed on the exterior surface paint ....after it was renewed.... was a small bubble on the right fender top...but it is not very noticeable even after 18 years since the re-paint....it remains the same.

The rest of the car....after less than 5000 miles on the road and 18 years....has excellent exterior paint...just a few minor flaws, rock nicks here and there, mostly front hood....and not very noticeable. In my time of ownership, this x19 was never driven in the winter snow / salt conditions...nor even in the rain during the warm months.

The side longitudinal skirts, as well as front and rear air dams on the car are fiberglass as I received the car....and painted in black.

All the sheet metal is straight as it should be....gaps looks good....perhaps some side window adjustments could be made....but first new seals should be considered as they appear to be the original. The doors and front / rear compartment lids / sheet metal open and close just fine with no issues....those rubber seals are in fair condition. Nylon rollers on rear lid spring tensioner were replaced. The fiberglass removable top fits fine but here again some of the rubber seals are likely original and tired. The original keys work in the various locksets.

The glass all around appears in good condition... on the front glass....a small rock ding / nick was professionally repaired October, 2007...it is almost un-noticeable.

A previous owner put a 911 period side mirror, electric remote operated, on the driver side. I replaced the interior rear view mirror with an OEM unit.

Engine

Shortly after I bought the car, I removed the engine and had it taken apart and rebuilt by a VW trained mechanic in 1992. Upon inspection, the engine had apparently been rebuilt not long before I bought the car. We decided that the original 2.0 liter heads should get cleaned up, inspected and new OEM sodium filled exhaust valves / guides be put in. Installed new rings on the pistons after inspection of pistons. Inspected the case rods, cylinders, piston rods, crankshaft, cam, various bearings, oil pump, and the oil cooler (added new seals)... all was in very good condition. The mechanic gave the casing a good cleaning, replaced all seals and gaskets with new, and push rod tubes were re-newed as needed, Viton seals installed. Of course a new rear engine seal was installed, a new pressure plate / clutch disc and throw-out bearing was installed. We did a leak down test on each cylinder...I did not record the pressure / time readings but recall the data was very good on all 4 cylinders. The engine remains very strong, performance is very good. I have changed the oil and filter each and every year (strainer screen checked every 5 years) even though very few miles were driven any one year. There are no major oil leaks just the occasional oil drip here and there as is typical on these engines.

Replaced the engine oil pressure sensor as it seemed prudent to do so with the rebuild.

Inspected the engine air cooling system setup...flaps with thermostatic bellows.....replaced the bellows and associated cable....all works fine.

A new starter was put on the engine just before I bought the car. I replaced the cooling fan / generator drive belt. Installed a new clutch cable, fork clevis, rubber boot and cable pulley at the transaxle.

I installed new stainless steel heat exchangers / exhaust headers, new painted steel hot air control / flapper boxes, hot air hoses, heater control cables, and a new Bursch "quiet" series exhaust / muffler....with single chrome tip.

New front engine mount / rubber isolators installed at carrier bar, and rear isolators / mounts at transaxle were inspected....good.

New engine sheet metal to body rubber seals installed.

Fuel System

The OEM Bosch electronic MPC fuel injection is complete and fully functional. I tested all the sensors and actuators. Installed new trigger points / contacts in base of the OEM distributor...plus normal points / condenser / cap / rotor. Installed new ignition wires, rubber sealing boots at plugs. I had to purchase and replace the MPC system differential air pressure sensor as it was faulty. Installed a new cylinder head temperature sensor. Installed 4 new OEM electronic fuel injectors with new seals. Installed all new vacuum lines and hoses (kit), including on the air distribution manifold. I pulled out the old, brittle (low pressure) plastic fuel lines from the front mounted tank and replaced them with 2 high pressure fuel lines that I bought from Automobile Atlanta for this purpose. This was done in conjunction with the common update (bought the kit) done on 914s...moving the electric fuel pump (bought new electric unit) and fuel filter assembly to the front of the car below the tank. The fuel tank was removed and cleaned in / out, repainted on the outside. I have the carbon canister for fuel vapor recovery...but never re-installed it near the fuel tank. The fuel vapor recovery plastic lines for the air feed to/from the engine compartment are there...but not connected. New throttle cable and retraction springs at the engine were installed.

Transaxle / Gearbox:

I had the transaxle rebuilt in 1999 by a PCA member in Milwaukee...who is / was very knowledgeable with Fiat 914s....

parts re-newed were....

-1st/2nd/3rd synchro rings replaced
- 1st/2nd synchro teeth replaced
-1st/R shifting sleeve replaced
- new / gaskets/seals installed, unit is leak free, used SWEPCO lube
- replaced shifter bushings with renewal set, new shift cover boot.
- Four CV joints, all inspected, new roll pins, re-packed / lubed...new boots
- new rear wheel bearings installed, both sides

Brakes:

- rebuilt the pedal cluster, bronze bushings, etc
- Rebuilt the original x19 calipers on front and rear, new pads, rotors were OK as is
- rear emergency brake set up rebuilt, fully functional
- new 19mm master cylinder
- New stainless braided flex lines all around at 4 wheels
- system completely flushed / re-newed DOT fluid every 2 to 3 years
- replaced brake fluid pressure differential sensor switch, but on last flush / fill, October, 2012........noticed red warning light was on....possible reset or faulty switch now? ...needs to be checked

Suspension/ Tires:

-new Boge OEM struts/ shocks all around
- new standard 100 lb? ( stock rating I believe)....springs at rear
- stock torsion / sway bars front - rear as original, no changes
- new tie rods ends, standard duty, both sides up front
- ball joints are good
- front wheel bearings inspected, re-lubed, play adjusted....all good
- 4 wheel alignment, factory rec settings, successfully completed
- new tires, Dunlop D60A2, size= P185/65R15 86H, all around, tread depth=1/4", on average....lots of tread......they look very good, because they were treated with conditioner over the years, and have very few miles...but are over the 8 year recommended life expectancy for tires
- stock alloy wheels...original to my knowledge

Interior

The interior is original....not that bad, but needs updating. The door side panels and arm rests are OK...see pics...some wear. Seats have a few cracks, tears from age...need restoration. Front dash top / pad is NOT cracked...actually fairly good condition. Fiberglass removalable top needs some new rubber seals, otherwise in generally good condition. Carpeting / mats are OK as is...nothing special....likely not original.....unsure. Lock sets work, windows in doors roll up / down without issue. Seat belts fully functional but retraction springs getting weak. Radio not OEM but is functional. Air pressure operated windshield washer system is original, but has not been used so status is questionable. Wiper system / wiper motor fully functional. Fog lights fully functional. Fresh air blower / cabin air controls fully functional. Hot air / defrost system fully functional, however, hot flex air hoses need to be re-newed from booster fan in engine compartment to engine heat exchangers. Booster fan blower itself works fine.

Has OEM jack, spare wheel / tire (not much tread), Owners Manual (not original)....but no OEM tool kit on board.

Electrical General

Rear engine compartment relay board pulled / inspected...refurbished / cleaned. Various chassis ground wires cleaned / inspected. Front fuse block inspected / cleaned. In general, all electrical systems fully functional except...
- horn not working
- just noticed this spring...low beam headlights intermittent when going between high beam / low beam change from stalk....likely an intermittent relay issue....
- recent (5/2012) new 12 volt battery and acid neutralizing mat installed
- VDO clock was working...but....now stopped

Still cold here in NE WI....just taking the car out of the garage for pics. 1 pic from last summer....see the green grass! I have many recent pics...."hell hole, etc".....since limited space per post.....I can add more as requested....

John
1988Hawk
OK, I'm guessing "Fiat x19" = April Fools Joke.....
guy_914
in my listing....not sure where that "x19" came from!.....however...some additional pics....more to come....
guy_914
additional pics.....
guy_914
more pics...
porschecb
welcome.png Nice car! GLWTS
pete000
Nice car...
Jim Martin
Very nice
elferrad
Have sent a PM and an email

Klaus
guy_914
Here is a link to my 914 photos...hopefully provides additional detail....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/914_2l/

John
xpensivewino
This is a great car! If it wasn't red, I would buy it on the spot...Good luck with the sale
elferrad
Have sent you a PM
David Stowers
QUOTE(1988Hawk @ Apr 1 2013, 05:03 PM) *

OK, I'm guessing "Fiat x19" = April Fools Joke.....

Ive had a few messages from the site where 914 has been replaced with x19, the work of a hacker I guess
Great looking car by the way and a great price
nolift914
PM sent
913B
Looks pretty nice and the price too. Probably going back to its birthplace biggrin.gif
ironlion
I would like to purchase your 914.
Call Bill @ 407-480-9105
bulitt
I believe this car sold. The seller started another post to announce the sale...here- Red914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.