Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Considering a 914 purchase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BuckmasterBC
I am new to 914 world but have gone OC reading all the great posts. I am in the process of trying to locate a 914 for restoration and would like some comments on the following find in my area. Appears that the rust is manageable but the rockers are gone - would like some comments on how "big" the job is to replace the rockers and some contacts of replacement rockers (steel please). I have attached some pics for comments. I have never restored a car but am vary passionate about the 914 and want to "cut my teeth" on a car that is affordable.
BuckmasterBC
It's a 1974 2.0 Bumblebee (painted red) - would like comments on what the market price would be for this type of car as well as the current owner has not set a price.
hot_shoe914
My first thought is to run like hell, that rust is bad, BUT, if it is truly a Bumble Bee, then it is worth saving. Good luck and welcome.png
Ferg
That one is done for sad.gif
914itis
Run run run
wes
Looks like you have some serious rust from the pics! Some times affordable is a very time and money consuming way to go, and for a first time restoration it just might turn someone off in the end. Best off luck to you.
Andyrew
As a bumblebee the chassis might be worth 2k to a 914 enthusiast. But its definitely not the one to start with. At a shop you probably have at least 5k worth of metal work, Probably more. Then another 3-4k for a proper paint job, 2-3k for an engine, 1k for suspension and brake rebuilding, 2k for interior and seals... And thats all on the lower end... You are much better off starting with a better chassis and leave this car for someone who knows the chassis better. Your 2 years off from even driving this car...
r_towle
meh, that can be fixed if you can weld.
If not, learn.

If you are writing checks to weld, then buy a better car.

All the parts are available from Restoration design.

If its cheap, you are looking at about 1k-1500 in sheet metal parts and about 200-300 hours of labor.

rich
BuckmasterBC
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 1 2013, 08:51 PM) *

meh, that can be fixed if you can weld.
If not, learn.

If you are writing checks to weld, then buy a better car.

All the parts are available from Restoration design.

If its cheap, you are looking at about 1k-1500 in sheet metal parts and about 200-300 hours of labor.

rich

Planning to do the work myself and learn as I go welder.gif . Looks like rockers will need to be replaced but need to look over the longs as well. Thanks for the comments.
zonedoubt
welcome.png

That one looks rough, but worse have been brought back from the dead...
Andyrew
What you'll be looking at...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=76791
Kaduku
Yikes, yes run, but remove the center console first and sell it to me rolleyes.gif
Cairo94507
Welcome to the World. That car looks like it will definitely give you something to do. It all depends upon how much of a commitment you are willing to make. That car definitely needs a high level of work.

But if the plan is to return it to a bumble bee then you may have a nice car when done.

Make sure you spend time reading a lot of the restoration/build threads to fully understand the level of work needed to accomplish this task and good luck. welcome.png
KELTY360
welcome.png

I admire your passion and determination. In addition to a lot of work, restoring that car will take proper tools and work space....long term work space shades.gif . I'm sure it can be done, and I won't tell you you shouldn't try. But.......you have to ask yourself; "Do I want a car to drive or do I want a car to just work on for the next few years?"

The fact that it's a Bumblebee is intriguing, but if it's not restored properly it will have no more value than any other improperly restored 914. Your pictures tell as much for what they don't show as what they do. Count on there being way more rust than you can see...it's the Iceberg Effect.

There are some other members in the Lower Mainland, you might want to put out a thread asking for one of them to look at the car with you. You're going to need to hook up with 914 guys in your area anyway; might as well start now. Good luck!
Spoke
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 2 2013, 11:16 AM) *

"Do I want a car to drive or do I want a car to just work on for the next few years?"

You need to answer this question before looking at any 914.

The rust on this car will only get worse as you dig into it.

Look elsewhere and buy a more complete 914.

A 914 is infinitely more fun when you can jump into it and drive it.
JeffBowlsby
Did you know that only ~150 Bumblebee 914 LEs exist? This is one of them, its on the LE Registry, although we have not seen a COA for this car yet to prove it. You know this is worth saving, the lack of a COA is a factor in its purchase price.
worn
QUOTE(BuckmasterBC @ Apr 1 2013, 07:21 PM) *

It's a 1974 2.0 Bumblebee (painted red) - would like comments on what the market price would be for this type of car as well as the current owner has not set a price.

Use the rust and disorder to get a really low price. You deserve it. The seller is offering you nothing at all of any value except work. OK, maybe scrap value.

On the other hand...if you don't mind spending every weekend for a few years working on it you will be a hero for maintaining the marque. I have done it, starting as a beginner with a mig torch and an MGB with a body that ended up as small pieces in garbage bags. Now I have a bazillion tools and more projects. Think carefully though.
Something that others haven't said I think is that sometimes people restore a car and find out it isn't the one for them. Don't do that: drive one that works really well and see if it is what you want.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.