Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Pads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CG-914
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before poke.gif but here we go…

After the road trip with probably factory pads its time for them now front and back.

I like the ceramic pads in general, at least the good ones are easier on the rotor, better grip and less dust…

What about the hawk pads?
Like the "street performance" (of course not from AA at 200% more then else where… barf.gif ) or the "performance ceramic"?

What about the rear?

Any suggestions, facts to consider?
I like to drive hard but it is my daily driver.
worn
QUOTE(CG-914 @ Apr 1 2013, 09:38 PM) *

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before poke.gif but here we go…

After the road trip with probably factory pads its time for them now front and back.

I like the ceramic pads in general, at least the good ones are easier on the rotor, better grip and less dust…

What about the hawk pads?
Like the "street performance" (of course not from AA at 200% more then else where… barf.gif ) or the "performance ceramic"?

What about the rear?

Any suggestions, facts to consider?
I like to drive hard but it is my daily driver.

A lot of people, including me, think that you need a lot of pedal pressure to stop a 914. It is much more apparent if I get in after being in the boosted 911 for awhile. I found that putting in Porterfield pads really made the car stop better with less pressure. Problem is it is hard to stop without squeal, but I didn't really lube up the backs when I installed them so maybe other people have better luck. I don't expect the extra braking to come for free so they may not last a lot of miles, but they cut down my autocross times. A little. dry.gif
Eric_Shea
Problem is it is hard to stop without squeal, but I didn't really lube up the backs when I installed them so maybe other people have better luck

You need to bed the pads:

http://www.pmbperformance.com/bedin.html

Porterfields don't squeal if they are bedded properly. Also... lubing the backs of pads is snake oil. Again, the real issue is the pads have not been bedded properly. The good news is, you can bed your pads at any time, even after they've had a few miles on them so; find an open stretch and give it a go.

Hawks are great pads. You may have a hard time finding the sizes you need (D31 front and D30 rear) but they should be fine. Porterfield R4-S on all my mounts.

Today's Funny: What do Slits and Porterfield Pads have in common? They both squeal if they're not bedded properly. huh.gif ohmy.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 2 2013, 05:31 PM) *

Problem is it is hard to stop without squeal, but I didn't really lube up the backs when I installed them so maybe other people have better luck

You need to bed the pads:

http://www.pmbperformance.com/bedin.html

Porterfields don't squeal if they are bedded properly. Also... lubing the backs of pads is snake oil. Again, the real issue is the pads have not been bedded properly. The good news is, you can bed your pads at any time, even after they've had a few miles on them so; find an open stretch and give it a go.

Hawks are great pads. You may have a hard time finding the sizes you need (D31 front and D30 rear) but they should be fine. Porterfield R4-S on all my mounts.

Today's Funny: What do Slits and Porterfield Pads have in common? They both squeal if they're not bedded properly. huh.gif ohmy.gif

Total hijack here, but will Porterfields tear up rotors? I seem to remember someone saying they are very hard on them.
rudedude
I've got porterfields from Eric in 4 different porsches and they work very well in all of them. I highly recommend.
somd914
I like my Porterfields. Sure they dust more than ceramics but I prefer to have more stopping power. Are they harder on rotors? Don't know but at 4,000-5,000 miles per year I don't think that is really a factor for me.
Eric_Shea
My Porterfields and rotors on the Cayenne have logged over 30,000 miles. Neither one shows any signs of running out any time soon. No dust issues either. confused24.gif YMMV
Mblizzard
I will have to say that while I know that the rear brakes account for only about 30% of your braking potential, the new calipers and the Porterfields from PMB made a huge difference. I know that I don't even have them bedded properly yet and they are so much better than any other pad I have used.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 2 2013, 01:31 PM) *

I doubt Slits has ever been bedded at all blink.gif av-943.gif
CG-914
Thank you all!
I think I'm gonna go with the Porterfields evilgrin.gif

I probablyy give you a call tomorrow or the day after that Eric.

I will check my rear rotors fist though if i need them before I spend all the money on pads and then I need new once shortly… dry.gif
ThePaintedMan
I'd really like to try the Porterfields as a street pad then. I'm still looking for a dedicated track pad (that will last 14 hours of hard driving) and won't tear up rotors. I have always purchased Hawks on my Mustang, and to be honest, the last set has been on there for almost 8 years, ~ 90,000 miles. I know they make couple killer track pads as well, but several of them are very hard on rotors.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 3 2013, 06:52 AM) *

I'd really like to try the Porterfields as a street pad then. I'm still looking for a dedicated track pad (that will last 14 hours of hard driving) and won't tear up rotors. I have always purchased Hawks on my Mustang, and to be honest, the last set has been on there for almost 8 years, ~ 90,000 miles. I know they make couple killer track pads as well, but several of them are very hard on rotors.

I stock KFP pads in 3 different compounds: street/ax, track/de & full race.
Its what I've used on my race car since 1995 and have had no issues with rotor wear. The race pads need to be warmed up thoroughly to achieve max stopping power.
I've ben using the street compound in my DD for 3 years now. They work great.
Van914
I used Pagid Orange on my DE car. Very easy on the rotors.

Van914
DM71SIX
try Porterfield pads. I have them on my 71-6 and they are excellent for the street and an occasional DE.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.