Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Never know when somethin can rattle loose...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rpmmaxxed
While removing my Kerry Hunter header to install copper gaskets, I discovered 3 of my 4 passenger side tubes were no longer seated fully. I'm sure for most of us, this is routinely checked, but maybe for some of the less knowledgable, including myself, a good reminder.

VaccaRabite
Your pushrod tube keeper spring is either not installed or installed incorrectly (very common)

Zach
brant
I agree...
pull the valve cover and check your retaining spring

I've never had them come loose
I've had leaks of course at times, but over approximately 15 motors I've never had them come loose.
worn
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 2 2013, 11:57 AM) *

Your pushrod tube keeper spring is either not installed or installed incorrectly (very common)

Zach

I was putting the springs in this weekend and discovered that the easy route to pushrod spring installation also puts them in wrong. If they are in right they actually hold them in place, but if put in the way they naturally want to go, they just stick down the tube. Not good.
rpmmaxxed
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 2 2013, 12:57 PM) *

Zach

These are on the outer side of the tubes, top of the head yes?
Cap'n Krusty
If you need springs, I have 'em.

The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(rpmmaxxed @ Apr 2 2013, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 2 2013, 12:57 PM) *

Zach

These are on the outer side of the tubes, top of the head yes?

No.

They are inside the rocker covers. They are a thin spring the is held in though a channel in the rockers. And they are kinda a bitch to put in correctly. At least I have found it to be so, others may know a trick.

Zach
Dave_Darling
Not a bitch to me. Hook them into the rocker stands (that's why the notch in the stands faces down!) and then push them under the rocker arm ends and pushrods. Then take an L-shaped allen wrench and pull on the part that sticks down into the tube until it is resting on the shoulder of the tube.

--DD
rnellums
This probably means I have installed mine the easy(incorrect) way. Thanks for bringing this up!
02loftsmoor
Cap'n do you had some sort of guidance on installing those push tube spring/clips, I could see how that could get scewed up very easly. that's why I bought some from you

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 2 2013, 03:41 PM) *

The Cap'n

stugray
I just did this last night.
Exactly as Dave D. says above, but I used a hooked dental pick to pull the ends out until they rest on the tubes.
You will hear the "Click".

I can get pictures of the process later today as I have to put one set of rockers back in tonight.

Stu
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 2 2013, 12:41 PM) *

The Cap'n

And they are still available new from Porsche...
Rand
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Apr 5 2013, 08:12 AM) *

do you had some sort of guidance on installing those push tube spring/clips...

Two posts before yours. See #8.
stugray
Here is how it looks once you feed the spring into the head (this can be done after the rockers are bolted down).

IPB Image

After reaching down and pulling the spring back with a hook, it snaps into place:

IPB Image

Stu
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.