Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brought home 4732915217 today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Found 4732915217 in Michigan last week. Had to wait for the snow to melt enough to get it out. That was no easy task either, it was buried to the floor pan in the soft sand. I killed my 8000lb winch pulling it out of the hole it was in. dry.gif headbang.gif

Anyway its a 2.0L with all the bells & whistles. First look it doesn't look that bad, but I have been down that path before. Last time it was on the road was 2000. Owner said he was driving it and herd a loud pop and that was it. he parked it and never did anymore with it.

I got it home and open the engine lid and found this. Houston I think we have a problem. I will get it up on the lift in a the next or two to see just how bad it is. Maybe all it needs is a little JB weld. laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
Here at the rest of the pictures. I will update the vin database in the morning.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
Is there anything on that car that is not rusty? I hope there is some gold in there, or that he paid you to haul it away.

Zach
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 2 2013, 06:52 PM) *

Is there anything on that car that is not rusty? I hope there is some gold in there, or that he paid you to haul it away.

Zach

Uummmh yeah, echo!
gms
I see fuchs, momo wheel, 2.0L engine, door handles, euro lenses, center console, 916 bumpers, speaker grills, fog lites... do i need to go on?
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(gms @ Apr 2 2013, 08:07 PM) *

I see fuchs, momo wheel, 2.0L engine, door handles, euro lenses, center console, 916 bumpers, speaker grills, fog lites... do i need to go on?

agree.gif sway bars, alloy lugs, nice center tray..........
JamesM
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Apr 2 2013, 04:45 PM) *

First look it doesn't look that bad,

Soooooo glad I dont live on the east coast... if this is not bad I would hate to see stromberg.gif

love the optimism though!
ConeDodger
The schrapnal looks like engine case... blink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JamesM @ Apr 2 2013, 07:52 PM) *

Soooooo glad I dont live on the east coast... if this is not bad I would hate to see stromberg.gif

So... If Indiana is on the East coast, I suppose Utah is beachfront too? lol-2.gif
GeorgeRud
A little rattle can spraying will fix it right up!

Gotta give you credit for finding these, there are useful parts that can be salvaged!
billh1963
Lots of nice parts! I thought I was the only one dragging these carcasses home... lol-2.gif

Cap'n Krusty
The dropped valve jammed the piston, which broke the rod, which then put the hole in the top of the case. Odds are the debris from the broken side migrated through the intake manifold to the other side, too. That 2 liter engine you "scored" is little more than scrap metal. I hope the PO paid you well to haul it off!

The Cap'n
gms
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 3 2013, 09:13 AM) *

The dropped valve jammed the piston, which broke the rod, which then put the hole in the top of the case. Odds are the debris from the broken side migrated through the intake manifold to the other side, too. That 2 liter engine you "scored" is little more than scrap metal. I hope the PO paid you well to haul it off!

The Cap'n

WTF.gif
Perhap you people are not familar with Garold's work, he finds 914s all over the midwest. He gets the good ones running and recycles those that are too far gone.
Instead of criticizing him for purchasing this car you should be praising his work, all these good parts will now be available to put in your cars.
Cap'n Krusty
I apologize to anyone who thought was criticism. Maybe a "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" tacked onto the end would have made it seem more like the dry commentary I intended.

The Cap'n
gms
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 3 2013, 10:04 AM) *

I apologize to anyone who thought was criticism. Maybe a "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" tacked onto the end would have made it seem more like the dry commentary I intended.

The Cap'n

alrighty perhaps I was being too sensitive
biggrin.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 2 2013, 09:13 PM) *

So... If Indiana is on the East coast, I suppose Utah is beachfront too? lol-2.gif

About as beachfront as Nevada?

Anything east of Colorado is an east coast car as far as I am concerned, but ill be more geographically specific for you next time tongue.gif

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(gms @ Apr 3 2013, 10:15 AM) *

The Cap'n

biggrin.gif

OK group hug. grouphug.gif Cap'n I know the motor is junk, but maybe, just maybe it has one good head on it? confused24.gif Once I get the car apart we will see just how bad all the rust issues are. If not bad (by east coast standards poke.gif ) then I will try to sell the roller, if not then all good parts will be removed and the junk sent to the scrap yard.

For me the hunt of finding these cars is most of the fun. Maybe I can get a show on Discovery - American Pickers, The 914 edition. laugh.gif
rnellums
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Apr 3 2013, 01:47 PM) *

The Cap'n

biggrin.gif

OK group hug. grouphug.gif Cap'n I know the motor is junk, but maybe, just maybe it has one good head on it? confused24.gif Once I get the car apart we will see just how bad all the rust issues are. If not bad (by east coast standards poke.gif ) then I will try to sell the roller, if not then all good parts will be removed and the junk sent to the scrap yard.

For me the hunt of finding these cars is most of the fun. Maybe I can get a show on Discovery - American Pickers, The 914 edition. laugh.gif

I would watch that one! I know of a 914 boneyard in my area with ~ 40 teeners sitting in a field when you are ready (one of them is even a six) biggrin.gif.

The barn is full too (Alaska Blue metallic)
Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JamesM @ Apr 3 2013, 08:54 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 2 2013, 09:13 PM) *

About as beachfront as Nevada?

Anything east of Colorado is an east coast car as far as I am concerned, but ill be more geographically specific for you next time tongue.gif

I knew what you meant. poke.gif sad though, the average American high school student when asked "New York. East or West of the Mississippi? Gets it wrong.."
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Apr 3 2013, 11:47 AM) *

The Cap'n

biggrin.gif

One of the best things I have seen you come into is the "Oh by the way" moment. The seller then shows you other things of interest. I know this has worked out well for you.
turk22
looks like a nice Center Console that I'd be interested in...just in case your parting it out popcorn[1].gif
patrick3000
Good score, not asking about this particular car but what do these parts cars generally sell for?
gms
QUOTE(rnellums @ Apr 4 2013, 08:33 AM) *

I would watch that one! I know of a 914 boneyard in my area with ~ 40 teeners sitting in a field when you are ready (one of them is even a six) biggrin.gif.

Holy Crap!
Dibs on the six (5 is just not enough)
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(gms @ Apr 4 2013, 11:53 PM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Apr 4 2013, 08:33 AM) *

Holy Crap!
Dibs on the six (5 is just not enough)

Back off mister, I have dibs on it ALL. laugh.gif All kidding aside I would like to check that place out sometime Ross.
GeorgeRud
Now, if someone would just have a large collection out in Arizona where the tin worm doesn't reproduce so quickly!

At this point, all parts are getting valuable as more and more become NLA.
GaroldShaffer
Took just a few minutes looking over the car today. I found where the rod broke thru the case. blink.gif

reharvey
Wow! Think there were any warning noises before it blew? You would think so.
GaroldShaffer
You would think so. I will get it up on the lift once I get back from Hershey and drop the motor.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Apr 9 2013, 05:02 PM) *

You would think so. I will get it up on the lift once I get back from Hershey and drop the motor.

JB weld
reharvey
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 9 2013, 08:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Apr 9 2013, 05:02 PM) *

JB weld

lol-2.gif I agree. It'll be like new.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.