Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do we like hankook ventus?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
tadink
Doing some ax and am looking for more stiction

Am running contiprocontacts now

Thoughts?

TD

ps, sorry for the auto correct on the original post - was doing it from my cell phone

td
Randal
QUOTE(tadink @ Apr 3 2013, 09:00 AM) *

Thoughts?

TD

Tell us about your car so we can recommend the right suckers.
Woody
I ran the hankook z214 in the C71 compound for a year. Half the price of Hoosiers. They'll certainly be faster that the Contis but nowhere near as fast as the Hoosiers. They were a good tire for the money.
yeahmag
I ran the same tire and really liked them. ESPECIALLY for the money.
tadink

Thoughts?

TD

thanks guys - I was using the cell phone to post this - hence the hieroglyphics. sorry about that -

I'm running a 1.7L for autorcross, have gone light light light on the build. Replaced iron fenders with f'glass flares, added 17's with the conti's.....and have now replace the front hood with C'fibre, and the rear trunk lid with f'glass. The car is ~250 lbs lighter than original.

running 205/50 17 in the front, 255/40 17 rears. I'd like to have a lower profile front tire . -maybe 225/40 17?

thanks for the feedback on the hankooks

cheers

td
Woody
QUOTE(tadink @ Apr 3 2013, 11:04 PM) *

Thoughts?

TD

thanks guys - I was using the cell phone to post this - hence the hieroglyphics. sorry about that -

I'm running a 1.7L for autorcross, have gone light light light on the build. Replaced iron fenders with f'glass flares, added 17's with the conti's.....and have now replace the front hood with C'fibre, and the rear trunk lid with f'glass. The car is ~250 lbs lighter than original.

running 205/50 17 in the front, 255/40 17 rears. I'd like to have a lower profile front tire . -maybe 225/40 17?

cheers

td

Get rid of the 17s.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Woody @ Apr 4 2013, 04:15 AM) *

QUOTE(tadink @ Apr 3 2013, 11:04 PM) *

Thoughts?

TD

cheers

td

Get rid of the 17s.

agree.gif
I like 15X whatever for autocrossing. I think Bill Charron uses an even smaller diameter. This allows quicker acceleration out of the corners.
Woody
Quicker acceleration, less unsprung weight, less rotational weight, faster turn in ect...
Borderline
Yeah, I spent some time converting over to 13" wheels and in the process removed about 80# of unsprung wt. The main reason for the 13" wheels was to be able to run the Hoosier R25B compound slicks. I was a little disappointed last year as I was doing development on used tires. For this year I bought new tires and so far am very happy!
J P Stein
The big downside to 15s is the lack of available tire sizes for a street car.
A 205/225 F&R set-up is about it. The good news is Hoosier makes a boat load of 15 inch sizes in R spec.
tadink
HI guys -

I know about the 17s - and wish I had gone a different route. I had my eye on some wide 15s but was deterred by the lack of tire options. I may pick up some smaller wide wheels just for the a/x.....McMark and I were talking about 14s that someone is running?

anyone have any resources for something small and wide?

running 255/40 17s in the rear, 205/50 17s in the front. The good news on the 17s is that the car sits so damn high it is easy to get underneath! Came in handy yesterday when I threw a halfshaft and had to get the thing back on there! LOL

thanks for the notes....

td
jhadler
QUOTE(Borderline @ Apr 4 2013, 08:28 AM) *

Yeah, I spent some time converting over to 13" wheels and in the process removed about 80# of unsprung wt. The main reason for the 13" wheels was to be able to run the Hoosier R25B compound slicks. I was a little disappointed last year as I was doing development on used tires. For this year I bought new tires and so far am very happy!

Bill,

I'd like to know what was involved in your 13" conversion. Did you retain the stock rotors, and if not, what did you use?

-Josh
Borderline
QUOTE(jhadler @ Apr 4 2013, 03:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Borderline @ Apr 4 2013, 08:28 AM) *

Bill,

I'd like to know what was involved in your 13" conversion. Did you retain the stock rotors, and if not, what did you use?

-Josh

It was a lot of work. I machined the rotors down to 10" diameter and then did some custom mount brackets for the light wt Wilwood calipers. I had custom wheels made by "Real Racing Wheels" with the 4 bolt 914 pattern. Gee that makes it sound so easy. The wheels weigh about 10 lbs each and so do the Hoosier bias ply slicks. The Wilwood calipers weigh about 2 lbs!!! By the time the rotors had been turned down and thinned a little the overall wt loss was about 20 lbs per corner. Now, with the smaller wheels I start the AX in 2nd gear and then go to 3rd (flipped 5th). It works great and I don't have to flair the fenders..........much biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
And Bill's car looks like it's shot from a rocket when he accelerates out of a corner. Last year at least, it looked like he was scratching for traction but with new tires??? Gonna be hard to catch! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.