Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I tighten exhaust nuts with stub pipe headers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I recently purchased a set of 914/4 headers from Triad (they look very nice). I tried to mount the stub pipes. For the most part everything went well however I am not able to get socket access on the lateral head stud on cylinder three. The stub pipe flange is in the way. I tried a 1/4 socket with a wobble extension- didn't work. I also tried a universal socket extension- too big. Any ideas? I could just grind the edge of the stub pipe flange however I would prefer to avoid that.
rhodyguy
see my reply in your other thread. shorty ext?
SLKWrx
Just a question, are the stub pipes numbered? I purchased a tangerine setup with stub pipes and didn't realize until I had two installed that they're numbered and designed to be installed for specific cylinders. Once I got them all set, they went in like a champ.
Matt Romanowski
You need a 1/4" drive mid length socket and a wobble extension. I have done it with ground down (letngth wise) deep socket too.
JamesM
QUOTE(SLKWrx @ Apr 3 2013, 08:55 AM) *

Just a question, are the stub pipes numbered? I purchased a tangerine setup with stub pipes and didn't realize until I had two installed that they're numbered and designed to be installed for specific cylinders. Once I got them all set, they went in like a champ.

agree.gif
I have the Eurorace setup which i think is pretty much identical to the Triad. The stubs are not identical and need to go to specific cylinders.
tornik550
The stub pipes are numbered.

The problem that I am having is that I can get a small socket over the nut however I cannot get any sort of extension on the socket so that I can turn the nut. there is not enough room for a box wrench. I think I need to get a little more creative with the wobble extension.
LotusJoe
This what I use, except my sockets are even a bit shallower.

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
When I build headers I cut a moon in the flange so a extension will get by. On my stubs this doesn't effect the integrity of the flange.

I also use a 11mm X 8mm 1.25 flanged nut from a V8 Audi. Expensive dealer part but you only need 8.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.