Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 "black goo"?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
Does anyone know the correct product used to replicate the black goo that is on top of the front strut towers (inside the front trunk) on a 914-6? I cant seem to find anything that is both black and dries (doesnt stay really sticky = mess).

Thanks!
Scott S
Cairo94507
I have no idea. I have given this some thought too. I am sure I will get slammed here but I am not planning to replace the black goo on my six when it goes back together. I really like the clean painted look on the towers.
scotty b
black undercoating and a paint brush. That is essentially all it is. Nothing special
sixnotfour
Ask The Unicorn Guy his looks almost factory
Bullethead
As Scotty sez, it's just undercoating... brushable asphalt/bitumen. Still have an old can from Eastwood.
Scott S
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 3 2013, 11:46 AM) *

I have no idea. I have given this some thought too. I am sure I will get slammed here but I am not planning to replace the black goo on my six when it goes back together. I really like the clean painted look on the towers.

I really do to. If I was repainting a car, I would leave them nice and clean.

On my car the struts/top bearings were replaced. When the bearing bolts were undone, it popped and cracked the black junk here are there and just looks really haggard. I thought about cleaning it all off, but the paint is really discolored undernieth.

I think I may have just found a fix at our trusty neighborhood Ace Hardware. I will test it and report back!

Thanks All -
Scott S
Socalandy
We used a bedliner spray in product with a schultz gun and low PSI. I will try to get the name of the product we used. We knocked down the splatter along the sides and we were really happy with it
Socalandy
after paint.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Apr 3 2013, 10:05 PM) *
We used a bedliner spray in product with a schultz gun and low PSI. I will try to get the name of the product we used. We knocked down the splatter along the sides and we were really happy with it

Wrong goo ... shades.gif

He's talking about the 914/6 only brushed black tar on the front shock towers that goes *over* the paint.

popcorn[1].gif
Scott S
Well, I went looking locally for wurth, but could not find any. I bought a can of black 3m undercoat. I sprayed it into it's own lid (yes, my hands still have spatter on them - what a mess). I grabbed a 1" brush and thankfully tested it on a readome piece of metal. It was still pretty gooey 24 hours later. It also did not like a second coat (it brushes on fairly thin).

I went back to the store and took a chance. Spent 5.00 and the results are absolutey amazing. I would be willing bet that is not a concours judge on the planet that would be able to tell it was not stock.

The product?

"Liquid Electrical Tape". It dries in five minutes - but retains it's softness (you can press a fingernail into it, but it is not in anyway sticky). Due to the 5 minute dry time, mutlple coats are a snap. The bottle has the brush in the lid and leaves great factory like brush marks. Got everything looking great in less than 30 minutes.

Here are some crappy before and after cell pics:
Eric_Shea
For your ass dragger or your teener?

For the teener you should paint first with flat black and brush it on thick. Some rolling down the shock tower is OK. Then mount the shock assembly. Then get it aligned and "then" paint on the goo. The factory use it (the goo) to mark the alignment.
Scott S
Hi Mr Shea -
On the ass dragger. The struts and bearings were replaced and the black stuff had been broken away in several places. Looked like a$$. I know it is hidden under the carpet - but it was bugging me.

I have had the nose of the car apart several times since buying the car (removing pimped our stereo stuff, looking for lost whell lock keys, cleaning the battery tray) that I was constantly seeing the yuck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.