Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone see the "Cornfield" Mustang commercial?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Hi_Fi_Guy
Anyone see the commercial for the new Mustang in the Cornfield?

I don't want to spoil it for anyone but it is certainly cool.
gopack
I agree awesome commercial, but some of the younger members may need it explained to them. As far as us old guys go, may be the cooled car commercial of the year!
jim912928
saw it...loved it...can't wait to see again!
tod914
Went and looked at the new mustangs yesterday. Nice car. Wish they would of went with the concept car though. Simular, but doesn't quite have the same impact when you see it.
Hi_Fi_Guy
My father had a 1968 fastback that he had custom ordered new. Bullit green, big block, 4 speed, etc. sold it when he married my mother as she couldn't drive stick... doh!

My first car was a 1966 Mustang that my father & I had restored. Hi-Po 289, 4-speed, fast little mofo car( just don't try to brake or turn). I really have a thing for the older Mustangs. The '80s & '90s cars never really did it for me.

Still the car holds a certain mystique.
redshift
I used to be a Mustang dood too.

I have noticed that Mustang guys always stare at 914s..

M
type47fan
Redshift,

Just yesterday I was talking to a friend who had restored a '66 Mustang coupe for his wife's 40th birthday and he has always considered the 914 shape to be of a similar design to Ford's original pony car, especially when viewing from the rear quarter.

Wayne (type47fan)
jd74914
I'm only 16, and love the old mustangs (64 1/2- 70; Boss 302's ROCK smilie_pokal.gif ), and love this new one. The commercial is great.

One question.

Who is the guy that drives the car away? He seems familiar, but I can't place him?
Lou W
Loved the commercial, big fan of _____ ______. I've had 3 Mustangs, miss all of them. 1968 Mustang, 1969 Mach 1, 351 Windsor, and 1970 Mach 1 428 Cobra Jet smile.gif
rjkavanagh
Yep, great comercial. I'm in the process of restoring a 70 Cougar convertible with a 351 Cleveland. I love Ford Racing as much as Porcshe Racing. driving.gif
redshift
QUOTE(type47fan @ Nov 20 2004, 09:05 PM)
Redshift,

Just yesterday I was talking to a friend who had restored a '66 Mustang coupe for his wife's 40th birthday and he has always considered the 914 shape to be of a similar design to Ford's original pony car, especially when viewing from the rear quarter.

Wayne (type47fan)

I bought my best ever 914 from a Shelby guy I found in Hemmings... just a few blocks from my house.

My favorite Mustang is the T-5 export, fastback, white with blue/white pony, 200ci/6, with air. You could drive that car to hell and back 10 times, on a single tank of gas. HiPos are cool too... but that car was the best car I have ever owned.

I haven't seen anything but coupes around here in 5 years... there was a gold 289 Rcode that din't move..

M
d7n7master
Haven't seen the commercial - but - I have two words for you. Shelby 500.
Years ago I had a '69 camaro with a 327 fed by a 780 holly w/ headers/ traction bars. My bud had a new Shelby 500 - we raced - he smoked me. We raced again - he SMOKED me... that was the fastest car I ever raced. The shame!!!
Lost to a damn FORD!!!
TheCabinetmaker
Steve McQueen. Bullitt. 1968. Best chase scene ever. One of his best movies(after the Thomas Crown affair).
Dave-O
My mom does the book work at an autobody shop that specializes in early mustang restorations. Lots of really nice shelby's, boss 302's, even a couple GT-350's. Some day i'd love to have one...just not with the # of zero's on the price tag of these restorations ohmy.gif

David
Ctrout
My first car was a 1978 Mustang II. Second car was a 1966 convertable Mustang. 7th was a 1984 Mustang. 11th, 1965 Mustang coupe. 13th, 1992 Mustang. 16th, Porsche 914. I'll probably never own another Mustang. They just don't get it done like a Porsche. I feel like such a snob.
redshift
I want a Boss 429 as a daily.

M
markb
Just watched Bullitt on tv. Great chase scene!! I used to have a couple of 66 Mustangs. I had a 66 'vert that I squeezed a 351 cleveland into. I raced the same dummy in his Camero every thursday night for pinks. Won every race, and gave him back his car at the end of the night. He kept trying. It was a great car, but I didn't put strong enough springs in the front, and it screwed up the front suspension. Should have kept that car, but a friend offered me his 65 Olds 442 for a great price, and I couldn't turn it down (great make-out car. Huge back seat. Ahhhh, the good old days....). Someday I'll win the lotto & find a 66 GT350H fastback. I just found out they made a few in red. I had only seen the black with gold, never red with gold. Looks cool.
J P Stein
Back in 74 I had a GT 500. .....the only year with the dual 4s....67??
Anyhew, that thing was the most evil handling POS I ever had.....cept for the 55 Ford SNB pickup with a 440 dodge.....auggh.

I once was stuck in a level gravel parking lot that had a light dusting of snow. That Shelby wouldn't move out of the 1 inch deep tire ruts.

Bout 900lbs of 428 over the front wheels. That gave meaning to the term "push". I gotta admit that power oversteer was available....specially when you didn't need it.

The good old days weren't.

Some asshole stolt it and it was outta my life. I didn't feel bad about it till they started selling for around 100K sad.gif
redshift
Hertz also had a few white cars with gold... that looks great. Wheels too.

M
Bruce Allert
How strange this thread comes along...

Was at a garage sale today and inside, for sale, was a 1965 white with red interior convertible. All original except it'd been repainted the original color. 289 auto and it was purty... $13,000.

My favorite is the first fastback (1965) or the first Shelby, the one with the windows instead of the louvers in the side of the top drooley.gif

......b
redshift
Cool mike, thanks... I rarely watch TV.

Hmmm... welp..

M
tod914
hertz had a red and gold, and a black and gold that could be rented. I never seen a white one. there are two local ones here. one black and one red. they show up at the local autoshows. 1966 I believe. awesome cars.
Meredith
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 20 2004, 06:09 PM)
Steve McQueen. Bullitt. 1968. Best chase scene ever.

agree.gif No doubt about it.
redshift
http://www.strongsvillehobby.com/lanecoll.htm First hit on Google.. it's a model.. but you get the drift.

I have a friend in Miami with one of the white ones. smile.gif

Now, if only I had a green SE pic...

M
tod914
Very cool Miles. Ever have the pleasure of driving it?
Mueller
local radio station is giving away a brand new all black GT Mustang....I filled out a slip, hope they call my name on the 18th of Dec. ....... not too sure if I'd keep it or sell it...I do know that if i kept it, it needs much, much bigger and wider rims and tires...especially in the rear !!!!!
Joe Bob
Ummm, pull the engine, trans....put it up on blocks.... biggrin.gif
redshift
QUOTE(tod914 @ Nov 21 2004, 03:09 AM)
Very cool Miles.  Ever have the pleasure of driving it?

No, but I have driven his 289 FIA Cobra.. smile.gif with 1300+ original miles... Ok, ok.. I backed it out, to get another car... so..

http://www.vettesmithinc.com/

There was a time when I made some of my income buying, and selling Shelby/Mustang stuff, and I think I have seen just about every surviving GT350, and about 10,000 -radio edit- clones.

uhhg... I used to remember most of the hipo part numbers.. wacko.gif

I wish I still had the little 200/6.. what a great car...

M
Hawktel
My friend has a GT350. I go with him to the Mustang things every now and then. He went some Las Vegas thing and where Carrol Shelby does something, I can't remember what. He signed the dash of the GT350 though. Its a cool car. Its call Dirtbag.

Pretty cool, but to bust them down, I keep reminding them that Lincoln Towncars are cooler.
airsix
QUOTE(tod914 @ Nov 20 2004, 10:43 PM)
hertz had a red and gold, and a black and gold that could be rented. I never seen a white one. there are two local ones here. one black and one red. they show up at the local autoshows. 1966 I believe. awesome cars.

I wonder how much truth there is to the legend that many of them were rented over the weekend and were returned with a different engine.

-Ben M.
(My '66 289 notch-back is parked right next to the 914. Had it since I was 15)
ChrisReale
QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 20 2004, 10:53 PM)

I have a friend in Miami with one of the white ones.

Miami...white....
Elliot_Cannon
I went to High School with Shelbys daughter back in... well it was a long time ago. Anyway she drove a GT350 to school! She was a year behind me and I didn't know her. She had a boy friend that everyone hated. Fantastic car.
The best chase scene was in a movie called To Live and Die in LA. Check it out.
Cheers, Elliot
Katmanken
Mmmmmmm......

GT 350's and GT 500's....

One of my early lustmobiles. drooley.gif

There usta be three white ones with blue stripes that parked in front of the Homestead AFB (Miami FLA) Officers club in the evenings. Had to drive by them to get to my Dads house on Colonel's row....

Dad said they were owned by a buncha crazy 1st and 2nd Looies. He also said they liked to play carrier landing when enough beer was consumed...... beer.gif

You know, where you clear out an area in the bar, place a clean table in the cleared area, and pour beer on the table to make it slick. Then you run at the table, jump in the air and try to "land" on your belly on the table .......without sliding and falling off. happy11.gif

All that beer probably made them handle better. I remember one of Dad's Looies at the house bitching about the "New" 1969 Mustang GT's being a piece of poo. Seems that the engine was moved forward and the back end would hop up and spin the tires quite easily.

Ken
Mrs. K
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 20 2004, 06:09 PM)
Steve McQueen. Bullitt. 1968. Best chase scene ever. One of his best movies(after the Thomas Crown affair).

agree.gif clap56.gif
Yep, and a very clever commercial!

Lisa driving-girl.gif
restore2seater
Since this thread has had a few opinions about best chase scenes. I'll offer mine. The original Gone in Sixty Seconds. Not the remake. The scene where Cage jumps the cars just ruins the movie. And since my other car is Challenger. Vanishing point. Anybody else with an opinion. Blues Brothers, Smokey and the Bandit, French Connection.
Forgot a couple. Cannonball Run, Gumball Rally, Death Race 2000.
Hi_Fi_Guy
Yes, the original gone in sixty seconds... very cool chase scene. They drove that poor mustang until it was falling apart.

Also the movie Cannonball (not cannonball run) where the Pantera blows up... not really a great film or a great chase movie but there is enough to keep you staring in disbeliefe that the movie was made.

Blues Brothers certainly has it's moments too.

I watched Bullit again last night and I noticed that in Bullit & in Thomas Crown there is no musical score over the car chase or the dune buggy on the beach. Also, the sounds of the engines reving, blipping, downshifting, on over run all sounded correct for what the car was doing. I wonder if the audio was captured for real instead of dubbed in later.
Allan
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 20 2004, 11:13 PM)
local radio station is giving away a brand new all black GT Mustang....I filled out a slip, hope they call my name on the 18th of Dec.

Tried that once. Didn't win crap but over the next couple of weeks got tons of phone calls and mail offering cheap cruise, health club membership, travel pakage, timeshare, steak knives, insurance, dental check-up, vacuum cleaner, etc. I'll never do it again.
GWN7
A buddy has a GT 500. Cool car. The seatbelt harness is connected to the factory rollbar. He had the engine rebuilt about 15+ years ago. Got it all back in and was warming it up to take it on it's first cruise when the el cheepo plastic fuel filter he put on it melted and set it on fire. Family/kids got in the picture and the car has been parked in his garage till about 6 months ago when he cleared all the junk out and started to work on it again. Road date is set for this summer.

I also know where a 64 GTO convertable is parked. Been sitting outside for 25 yrs, won't sell. sad.gif
mightyohm
The new Mustang looks ok, but to me the design was driven as much by impact safety as by good looks or style... That huge lower rear bumper and both decklids look like they are 4 feet off the ground... Yuck! Overall a decent looking car but I wish it didn't have to meet whatever the 2005 federal safety standards are...
boxstr
All the new Mustang vid they have... http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/launch/
Go to Gallery then Video Gallery and then Visit Video Gallery.
CCLINBULLIT
redshift
KR.. GT... KR...

wink.gif

M
carreraguy
Saw the commercial last night; loved it! Luckily I was Tivo-ing the show I was watching so I could show it to the family.

A friend of mine had a 65 or 66 GT350, White with Blue stripe. I drove it once and got a ticket on Hwy 17; that was one fun car to drive! My first "adult" car was a '67 Fastback; drove the heck out of it.

But I still think the best chase scene is in "Ronin"!
Eric_Shea
sold it when he married my mother as she couldn't drive stick... doh!

Halfbreed! w00t.gif

(sorry, couldn't pass that one up) biggrin.gif
restore2seater
Yea, Ronin was pretty good too.
Rgreen914
QUOTE(Hi_Fi_Guy @ Nov 21 2004, 09:31 AM)
I watched Bullit again last night...the sounds of the engines reving, blipping, downshifting, on over run all sounded correct for what the car was doing. I wonder if the audio was captured for real instead of dubbed in later.

Hi Fi Guy

I think if you watch "Bullit" more closely, you'll notice that the "bad guy" wearing the glasses and driving the Charger is able to shift a 4-speed (soundtrack) car without taking his hands off the steering wheel! Must have been shifting by using a timer and air lines like the Pro Stockers of a few years ago!

Ron
Rgreen914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 21 2004, 07:23 AM)
...The best chase scene was in a movie called To Live and Die in LA. Check it out.
Cheers, Elliot

Elliot

In the movie, "To Live and Die in L.A.", there were several scenes filmed at the prison in San Luis Obispo (California Men's Colony). The scene filmed in the visiting room featured several staff, friends with whom I used to work, playing the roll of inmates. There is another scene late in film where the star of the film is shotgunned by one of the "bad guys" in the picture. This scary looking "criminal" is in reality an LAPD Sergeant (who used to work out of Central Division) and in real life, is just as big and scary looking, and from what I hear, just as tough as his movie character!

Ron
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE(Rgreen914 @ Nov 23 2004, 12:21 AM)
QUOTE(Hi_Fi_Guy @ Nov 21 2004, 09:31 AM)
I watched Bullit again last night...the sounds of the engines reving, blipping, downshifting, on over run all sounded correct for what the car was doing.  I wonder if the audio was captured for real instead of dubbed in later.

Hi Fi Guy

I think if you watch "Bullit" more closely, you'll notice that the "bad guy" wearing the glasses and driving the Charger is able to shift a 4-speed (soundtrack) car without taking his hands off the steering wheel! Must have been shifting by using a timer and air lines like the Pro Stockers of a few years ago!

Ron

Didn't pay too much attention to teh bad-guy's car. I'll have to listen up next time i see it.

Oh, and for the record, I was talking about the Pantera crash in the original film Cannonball not the later Cannonball Run... I don't remember a Pantera in Cannonball Run but just in case I thought I would clarify.

IPB Image
Zylinder
Ya'll got me curious. I've no TV, but I found a link:

http://www.starnesfam.com/Mustang.htm

My first car was a black/black conv. '65 hi-performance 289 (called a "K Car" for some reason that I can't recall, probably a serial number thing), front disc brakes, "rally pack", trumpet style exhaust through holes in the rear valance. My grandfather found it in a barn in Indiana and I bought it for $750. Put about $350 (1979 dollars) into fuel lines, fuel pump, brake lines, coolent, hoses, belts, oil change, battery, labor and 104 octane fuel.

Drove it all the the way home to Florida - following behind my parents car. Found out on the way home that the frame rust was so bad that if you hit a bump, both doors would pop open. If you jacked it up right in the middle, there was a 1/2 in gap at the top of the door. Definitely failed Dave's Big Butt Test.

Anyway, I put an ad in a Mustang newsletter and a company, located not 50 miles from the barn where it was found, drove a ramp truck 1200 miles to Florida, paid me $3000 for it, and hauled it back home again in Indiana. I was happy - young, stupid and happy. Now I wish I had hung unto it.

18 cars and 26 years later and I am once again looking at more rust under a car that I paid $750 for. !!
Rhodes71/914
Had never seen that movie Cannonball, came across it while channel surfing the other day and watched the last 30min or so. COuldn't believe how cheesy it was but still couldn't stop watchin it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.