Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: abs brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
So,

not for the 914...I like non abs.

For a 1984 911.
How hard would it be to add ABS brakes, so they work like ABS brakes should?

rich
AE354803
This seems like a fun project, I would say the hardest part of adding them would be getting a wheel speed encoder wheel machined or modified to fit

The Easiest location to mount one might be at the CV axle/trans mount for the rear wheels, or if you make essentially a spacer in between the rotor and the wheel, but that would make things interesting.

See the link below for a Bosch off the shelf universal kit. Seems pretty well made.

Digging through the manuals gives you sizes, installation would be easy, just install the pump inline with the front/rear and then send individual brake lines to each wheel.

Bosch Universal ABS system

If you feel like following through and need some CAD drawings let me know, I can whip something up pretty easily if you send me dimensions.

I think best bet would be weld a ring of material onto rotor hub, and then machine down the groves, as seen on an abs car. Although then you have to redo it with every new set of rotors. For the rear I would definitely attach the encoder ring at the trans/cv mount.
r_towle
I wonder if there is a bolt on solution from a more modern 911...

I think the 964 had something like this for the AWD...

Rich
AE354803
A universal should be the easiest bolt on solution, cars with built in ABS have the logic and sensors routed through and into the main ECU's, so you would have to figure out a way to use the regular ECU's and trick the computer into not realizing or caring the rest of the system wasn't there.

Or you could write your own programming for a PLC and tie it into an existing pump, but you'd have to figure out the language for the pump.

I think universal unit would be the best, easiest, and best performing solution. Would probably be costly but it would also work.
edwin
Why?
mskala
Check some input from Bill Verburg over on the Bird board. Apparently the scrub
radius of our olde-fashioned suspension causes problems for ABS.
AE354803
What kind of issues is it causing and how?

mskala
Man I have to do all the work around here

Pelican thread
r_towle
I read (all of) that after I posted the question.
Damn, Deja Vu.....

I am off this.
From all I read, there does not seem to be enough of an upside to justify the work.

rich
AE354803
as fun as fitting a system like that would be, from a fabricating and programming standpoint, doesn't seem like it would help much.

I learned about scrub radius today, makes sense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.