Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well, well....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
The slick fits on the rear driver's side. All is not sweetness & light tho.

The Goodyears like minimal camber & there is -2 here.
There's zip clearance to the inner fender.

Lessee......tan of 2 deg is .034693 X 23=.8031".

I've got about .40" clearance at the outside....decambering to zero gives bout .4" interference..oops.....but the inside would clear and there's a 7mm spacer in there....but this is the "fat flare".
The other side has less flare.....who'da thunk it. rolleyes.gif

Hoosiers like about 1.5 deg negative. .. tangent of .5 deg is .00872 X 23 =.200......humm, that side would live with that.....maybe. idea.gif

Either way, there's a hell of a lot less smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif than I was thinkin'....oh yeah, a pic.
SirAndy
looks like you need a bigger ass ...

biggrin.gif Andy
rick 918-S
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 20 2004, 05:06 PM)
looks like you need a bigger ass ...

biggrin.gif Andy

agree.gif bootyshake.gif lol2.gif
ChrisReale
Bigger hips needed.. Doan those sidewalls on them goodyears roll quite a bit? If the side wall was suoer stiff, ya might be able to get away with it....But, like ya said alot less smash.gif than ya did before.
nine14cats
Looks good JP.

You're gonna luv those slicks!...Once I used them, I couldn't change back. I was having too much fun!

Let the smash.gif begin..... laugh.gif

Bill P.
drgchapman
Hey JP, you gonna get a trailer? Don't see no DOT grooves. Wow, are those fatties or what? How much time ya think your gonna save? Can't wait to see ya drive on those.

Gary
skline
That looks cool, flare it a tad more.
J P Stein
Bill:

We discussed this already, but them Goodyears don't look too happy with the camber you were running. Are you telling me that the Goodyears had more grip than R45 Hoosiers?

Gary:
I have a trailer & it's gonna get used. Time?....enuff to stay ahead of you, damnit laugh.gif BTW, there's a 3.2L 914 in the classifieds....you wouldn't like it.....trust me rolleyes.gif That 4 pooper suits you just fine

Ayup, more smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif , but only maybe a half inch on the drivers side and 3/4 (or so) on the pass side......I'm feeling strangely confident unsure.gif
joea9146
This is always an option saves all that smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
J P Stein
Joe:

I'm not sure those would pass muster in my SCCA class.
I can make what I need....and who needs paint anyhow? laugh.gif
86motoman
Joea9146,

Where do I get some flares like that?

Any pics of the front?
nine14cats
Hi JP,

I can't remember if those tires that you have are Goodyear R430's or the R250's.

My experience is that the old Goodyear R210's and now R250's are a little stickier than the R45 Hoosiers. The Goodyears also have a stiffer sidewall construction than the Hoosiers, although both sets of slicks are MUCHO stiffer than Dot-R's.

My actual placings in Auto-x were generally the same on either brand (top 5 out of ~100+ cars) but of the 3 TTOD's I've had, two were on Goodyears.

On the big tracks I preferred the feel of the Hoosiers. I can't explain why, but I did. And my individual testing log book always showed the Hoosiers were faster on my car on a 3 mile course. The camber settings on my car were set with a pyrometer by Brad after studying the car. We did go faster, I don't know if we nailed the set up....

I'll be using slicks again on the new race being built by Brad. I'm leaning towards Hoosiers, but haven't decided yet. This time I won't be mixing brands. I'll set the car for the camber that the tire likes.

Bill P.
joea9146
QUOTE(86motoman @ Nov 20 2004, 10:36 PM)
Joea9146,

Where do I get some flares like that?

Any pics of the front?

It is not my car but I spoke to the owner who made the flares.
He cut the wheel arch round.... left some extra material
than he put some vertical cuts into the fender he than bent the vertical cuts upward to form the shoulder of the flare. He than bent some steel tubing into an arch to give a rounde finished lip to the flare. Here is the shot you asked for showing the front fender.
joea9146
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 20 2004, 10:32 PM)
Joe:

I'm not sure those would pass muster in my SCCA class.
I can make what I need....and who needs paint anyhow? laugh.gif

JP did not realize SCCA had restrictions on type of flares you could use. ohmy.gif
DNHunt
JP

You musta been sittin on the pot for a while to do all that figurin.

Dave
J P Stein
Joe:
It's not the flare, it's the shape of the wheel arch that must be maintained....at least in their roadracin'. I'd have to pore over the effin' rule book for Solo to be sure if it's true for AX prepared classes also.

There are reasons the Sheridan body kits look like they do.
....arcane SCCA rules.

At any rate, more flare will be easy using John Kelly's idea about the purse & palm nailer.....I think unsure.gif
Gonna go get a palm nailer tomorrow....I already have a purse laugh.gif

Dave:
Had my trusty calcumulator....I don't need to figure, it does my thinkin'.....I just keep pressin' buttons till sumthin' pops out. I type in in here. Iff'n it's wrong, someone will correct me....piece o' cake. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.