Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: saving a set of white hl surrounds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
i'm going back to white on both cars. 1. lightly scrub the surrounds with dish soap and a soft brush to break the heavy crud. 2.soak in a bucket with diluted OilEater. 3. soak in a bucket with diluted 30 Second Outdoor Cleaner (contains tsp and bleach).

the OilEater is a great degreaser. over time it will soften over spray/paint. non caustic, no brake cleaner stench, and cheap. the 30 second is a great cleaner. also cheap. $8 a gal. it cleans outdoor furniture, concrete, etc, like you wouldn't believe.

the clean set pictured is one i previously did. they were in comparable condition. stay tuned.

k
rhodyguy
initial scrub. warm water, short soak w/dish soap, soft brush. i've focused on the areas i want to attack.
siverson
Nice - I'd love to see this actually work...

-Steve
ThePaintedMan
Those look nice Kevin. I'm not much for the early white surrounds, but I understand why you guys want to save them. How about Soft Scrub with bleach for any marks that can't be removed? I use that to bring the yellow out of gel coat on boats.
rhodyguy
oil eater in the bucket. this step begins with an important issue. when the surrounds are in the bucket, same with both products, they MUST be fully submerged, not sandwiched together, and both done at the same time! i learned this the hard way the first time i did a set. a portion of one of the surrounds was above the fluid line and it left a line. a permanent line that you can't blend in.

george, i might try some soft scrub the worst areas. again, spotting might happen. you'd have to do them both at the same time with the same duration to ensure consistancy using the ss (bleach). i'll let the oil eater work for an hour and see how the over spray is holding up.

both the 73' and the 70' came to me with white surrounds installed.

k
siverson
So, how did it turn out?

-Steve
Cupomeat
inquireing minds WANT to know!!!
happy11.gif
pete000
Take them out of the bucket and show us...! hissyfit.gif
rhodyguy
just go back from the oral surgeon. new stint. they wanted to put me under. "go get some restraints". gas and a squirt of novo did the trick. charging the cam bat.

the soak in the oil eater did wonders. i'll shoot some picts after a while. toss them in the 30 second cleaner for an over night and post in the am before i leave for the airport.
rhodyguy
no certain order. this is an overnight soak with the Oil Eater. worked very well on the blue paint. dark smudges are much lighter. the 30 Second Cleaner will lighten the color some.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.