Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hand Brake Handle Failure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
I had a failure on my hand brake. It looks like there are two "tongues?" that extend off the back of the handle that something slips into.

Something slipped and one of those tongues bent. I can't get a good picture.

Is there a common failure on these handles? Any close up shots of what it should look like?

It doesn't look like anything broke but I somehow can't figure out how the cable connects to the handle...or how to remove the handle from the car...
ThePaintedMan
There should be one bolt holding the handle itself in, but you might have to release the tension on the main cable itself before you remove it. The cable splits before it goes through the firewall into two by way of a 'balance bar' which the two cables hook into. If you follow that main cable up to the handle, at the base of it is a pin which goes through the two halves of the handle itself. On mine, it had rusted away to being very thin, and I bet that's your problem. You'll have to remove the handle itself (may require removing the seat first as well), and probably have to weld/build up the metal surrounding the pin.
7TPorsh
Yes the pin slid out of one of the sides so when I pulled it was only attached to one side and the tongue bent.

I think I may need to pull out the handle and beef up those extensions.

How is the handle attached to the car? Looks like a flat rivet...not bolted on...
7TPorsh
Argh!

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Apr 4 2013, 12:48 PM) *

Yes the pin slid out of one of the sides so when I pulled it was only attached to one side and the tongue bent.

I think I may need to pull out the handle and beef up those extensions.

How is the handle attached to the car? Looks like a flat rivet...not bolted on...

Hmm, what year is it? There is a difference between early and late handles, but they should remove the same way. There is a bolt toward the bottom of the handle which secures it to the long. It may be covered up by carpet and/or hard to see with the seat in the car. Don't know what rivet you're seeing. The bolt is at the back of the handle body and is also what the handle pivots on.
7TPorsh
It's a 1970. The circled flat "bolt?" in the picture is how it is attached to the body...I think... The other bolt looks like it holds the teeth.

7TPorsh
Click to view attachment
flash914
The red curcil is the piviot dowm lower to the right is a bolt that hold the teeth plate in place. Remove the bolt and the handle and the plate will slide off the pivoit. Gordon
SLITS
Click to view attachment

If a '70, your handbrake is two piece.
ThePaintedMan
Oh crap, I posted that before you put the picture up. Gordon nailed it right on the head. The "rivet" is actually a stud attached to the long that the handle pivots on. But the bolt goes through the ratchet and needs to be removed to pull the handle out. You're right, the tab is bent, but probably because it's rusted. Once you pull the whole assembly out, bend the tab back, making sure the pin goes through both sides. Then weld the tab to build the metal back up and strengthen it. Great Saturday project!

Sorry for leading you astray. I forgot how it worked. Thanks for clearing it up Gordon.
7TPorsh
Thanks guys, I have another project I guess...wish I could weld.
flash914
Most likly the clip was missing from the pinalowwing the handle to spread then the next time the cable end was under the tab and that bent it up. I woudl find a new one piece handle-later year car. and replace it- I did it to mine. The handle stays up and is a little in the way when you get in and out but the parking brake stays on. Gordon
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Apr 4 2013, 01:52 PM) *

Thanks guys, I have another project I guess...wish I could weld.

Gary,
If you can't find someone local to do it, or you don't want to buy a new one, you can send it to me. I'll weld it up for you. Send me a PM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.