Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A/C in a converted 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlee1967
I am helping a friend with his conversion of a '73 to a 2.4L six. We are getting very close to the end of the project, but have not yet installed the A/C. (no flames please.....this is Houston, TX) Does anyone have any advice on the best way to mount the compressor on the motor? Pictures would be very helpful. At this time we have not brackets and have not yet bought a compressor. Thank you in advance for your help. David Lee in Houston, TX.
Red-Beard
Reprinted from my e-mail.

Tom, I had a real nice visit with you about your 914-6 Porsche, the
information you wanted is:

Our complete Delux A/C System for the 914-6 is a 16,000 btu unit w/twin
condenser and 8 cubic inch rotor compressor that only pulles 1 1/2
horsepower and it weight 75 lbs and shipped in one box

The cost for this complete A/C System is $2195.00 Plus Tax & Shipping.

Note" If you want us to installed this special system, we will glad to set a
time at your convenience

Thank You and Please Pray for Our Troops

Jerry West
Cooler Air
972-722-3791
www.europeancoolerair.com
dlee1967
Thanks James, I have talked with Jerry West before when looking for a complete package. In this case we have the entire A/C system but no A/C compressor or bracket. We might end up buying the one from Jerry, but I would rather make my own to keep cost down and then have a pattern for the next project. Pictures anyone???DLee
Dave_Darling
Gord Luy put air conditioning on his Six. Aah, here is the article:
http://www.roadglue.com/docs/main_and_rest...e_cool_9146.htm

--DD
Red-Beard
Clay just posted some pics on his mount.

Do a quick search on my name and A/C
Eddie Williams
Clay's a/c mount is in this thread
dlee1967
That is exactly what I was looking for.....thanks guys......My buddies conversion 6 is going to be cool for summer. DLee
Kerrys914
Just curious..

Why doesn't the 911 A/C bracket work? <_<
ClayPerrine
If you take a look at a 914 firewall, you will notice that the /6 fan fits into an indentation in the firewall. On either side are the seatback wells. If you use the 911 compressor mount, it sets the compressor high up on the LH side, directly behind the driver's seat. To get the compressor to mount on the bracket, you have to cut a hole in the firewall for clutch clearance. You also have to beat the living $hit out of the firewall to allow the belt to have clearance. Then you have to limit the rearward travel of the seat to keep the back of the seat from hitting the compressor clutch (or the cover, if you choose to fabricate one). This was done on the 916 that was built and imported into the US for Peter Gregg. The cut the hole in the firewall, and left just a thin layer of leather in front of the clutch. The driver's seat is limited in rearward travel too.

That's why I setup the weird T shaped belt run on my 914/6 compressor mount. The angle of the firewall means that I have to keep the compressor low, and as far rearward as possible. So I use the serpentine belt and the idlers. Mounting the compressor on the right side makes sure that it does not interfere with the oil filter on the oil tank, and the /4 AC install has the compressor mounted in the same general location. So the lines will already reach. The added benefit is that I don't have to have a hole in the firewall to change the belt. I just loosen the tensioner, slip the old one off, and slip the new one over the pulleys. Then turn the tensioner and tighten the nut.
Kerrys914
That is a nice set-up you have.. Do you still have the part #'s for the pulleys? If you happen to have any other plans, info, photo's off the engine PLEASE send them to me smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks and great work smilie_pokal.gif

Ch beer.gif eers
ClayPerrine
The pulleys came from here Clewett Engineering.

Call them and they will sell you just the pulleys.

The compressor, the mounting bracket I used for parts, and the idlers came from here IceAC They are from the Type IV kit they sell.

The belt tenisioner is a timing belt tensioner from a Nissan VG30 engine.

The rest is just fabricated from steel plate.
Kerrys914
Thanks Clay, I may have to try another route on my car. I call the vendors and the prices for the pieces are WOW ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

If I can't find another clean install (like yours) without cutting the firewall I will just remove the compressor until I can fund your installation.

I would still like to see more photos of you compressor bracket the next time you remove the compressor.

Ch beer.gif eers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.