Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Picked up a subaru motor today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JStroud
Been looking for a while for a subaru engine to put in the black car. Today I went and picked up this. piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Its out of a 2003 outback H6 3.0, it got hit in the rear. A subaru shop in Auburn bought the car, because he wanted the wheels. Went up to look at it, turns out I know the guy, used to be a Porsche only shop. He did the work on my stepfathers Boxster when they lived in Auburn, so he gave me a great deal.

Got the engine, a 5spd transmission from another outback, the H6 had an auto,
the ECU and harness, and anything else I want from the car for $400 w00t.gif

Looks like the black car is getting a 6. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

The motor in my shop

Click to view attachment

And the 914 it's going in.

Click to view attachment

So I'm going back on saturday, he's going to put the car in the shop on a lift and let me go at it. I need to get the ECU and wire harness removed, so he can get rid of the rest of the car. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif

So any tips, or what else I should be taking from the car while I have the chance, would be appreciated.

If anyone is free saturday and would like to come help, Pizza and drinks on me chowtime.gif you can pm me or call my cell (916) 834-6574.

Thanks,
Jeff
David J

Such a deal!
You should be WAY ahead of the game even if you can't get the CanBus harness to work and have to fork over real $$ for a stand alone ECU/harness. Congrats on a sweet buy!
d914
Look up bigkats build, mega squirt. .. He has a running h6.... Great power, fun to drive in our little cars!! I'm building a turbo,, if I had to do over,,, I'd go with the 6! Love the torque ..
JStroud
QUOTE(David J @ Apr 4 2013, 06:09 PM) *

Such a deal!
You should be WAY ahead of the game even if you can't get the CanBus harness to work and have to fork over real $$ for a stand alone ECU/harness. Congrats on a sweet buy!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the project.

Jeff
JStroud
QUOTE(d914 @ Apr 4 2013, 07:09 PM) *

Look up bigkats build, mega squirt. .. He has a running h6.... Great power, fun to drive in our little cars!! I'm building a turbo,, if I had to do over,,, I'd go with the 6! Love the torque ..

Thanks for the info, now that I have the motor I've got a lot of reading to do.
Not that familiar with the Subaru engines.......yet. Other than I knew I wanted one for my next project.

Jeff
Chris H.
Wow, nice score! You'll want to make sure to get the entire engine wiring harness and the stock FI controller, etc. Just follow the harness inside the car and see where it leads so you don't miss anything. In the SVX there was a lot of electronic stuff under the carpeting. If you want to run heat, AC, etc grab all that stuff as well. The heater core and AC stuff should be under/in the dash. Might as well take anything you MIGHT want to use later. Think of it that way. If he's going to scrap the car take the automatic trans controller box....it's worth $.
JStroud
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 4 2013, 08:11 PM) *

Wow, nice score! You'll want to make sure to get the entire engine wiring harness and the stock FI controller, etc. Just follow the harness inside the car and see where it leads so you don't miss anything. In the SVX there was a lot of electronic stuff under the carpeting. If you want to run heat, AC, etc grab all that stuff as well. The heater core and AC stuff should be under/in the dash. Might as well take anything you MIGHT want to use later. Think of it that way. If he's going to scrap the car take the automatic trans controller box....it's worth $.

Thanks for the info, that's what I was thinking....get as much off the car while I can.

Jeff
messix
stock fuel pump [might be a in the tank deal]
JStroud
QUOTE(messix @ Apr 4 2013, 09:33 PM) *

stock fuel pump [might be a in the tank deal]

oh, good idea, thanks

Jeff
Erben914
Let me check the schedule for Saturday. I know that I have lacrosse in the morning.
What time are you headed out?
euro911
Most excellent deal, Jeff! cheer.gif

I'd come up to help if I were closer, I'd like to get some Subi demo experience, so I know what all to grab when I go looking for an engine for the Vanagon.
JStroud
QUOTE(Erben914 @ Apr 4 2013, 10:18 PM) *

Let me check the schedule for Saturday. I know that I have lacrosse in the morning.
What time are you headed out?

I'm going to leave my house around 8:00, should put me at the shop around 9:00
Not sure how long it will take so I want to get an early start, only have the one day.

If you want to come help, you could always meet me there.

Jeff
BIGKAT_83
You got a great deal. The transaxle is worth that price alone.

Got that same engine in my 914.

Bob
JStroud
Thanks guys, ya Bob that's what I heard, I'll have to go through your build thread.

Mark, I'll take pictures and try and document what I can, should be a fun day sawzall-smiley.gif

Jeff
JStroud
I went to Auburn today to pull the wire harness and controller from the donor car.
Gary opened the door at 10:00 and I went to work. Here's a couple shots of the shop, and a 64 he's working on.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Before the destruction begins sawzall-smiley.gif

Click to view attachment

So you really only need a 10MM socket and phillips screwdriver to take most of it apart. A big hammer helps, unless your trying to save everthing, I wasn't. happy11.gif After three hours.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It's verrrry time consuming, having two people would help, going back and forth from side to side wears you out. yellowsleep[1].gif After five hours.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Finally got it done, hope I didn't forget anything confused24.gif
Only took seven hours with no breaks, I'm beat.....I'm old ya know. lol-2.gif

Click to view attachment

Now I just have to figure out where it all goes. w00t.gif

Jeff
Erben914
Nice work Jeff. piratenanner.gif I wish I could have helped out. I had a lacrosse game and my daughters birthday party today. I'm glad I checked the schedule lol-2.gif
You scored. That's good karma right there buddy beerchug.gif
euro911
Wow, that's a lot of 'stuff' sad.gif
speed metal army
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 6 2013, 08:51 PM) *

No kidding!
I wouldnt even tackle that.
Awesome! smile.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Apr 6 2013, 08:58 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 6 2013, 08:51 PM) *

No kidding!
I wouldnt even tackle that.
Awesome! smile.gif

You should have seen what I took out and left.
I did get all the AC stuff under the dash and in the engine compartment, the heater core, the heat/AC controls. The steering column, the radio w/6 disc cd changer. Some of the dash trim pieces, gauge cluster, fuse panel, controller, and wire harness, center console wire harness, starter, and intake plastic.

Probably could have got it done quicker, but I bought a chiltons manual, and was trying to ID and label as much as I could as I went.

And Eric, no problem, family always comes first.

Jeff
Mike Bellis
Glad you got the steering column. I'm pretty sure that car has an immobilizer chip in the key. You will either need the ignition switch or find someone to re-flash it out the ecu. You could even just have the immobilizer connected, key in and hide the switch under the dash if you keep the 914 column.

Pretty good work for a Carpenter... biggrin.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 6 2013, 09:43 PM) *

Glad you got the steering column. I'm pretty sure that car has an immobilizer chip in the key. You will either need the ignition switch or find someone to re-flash it out the ecu. You could even just have the immobilizer connected, key in and hide the switch under the dash if you keep the 914 column.

Ya I wasn't sure if I should grab it or not, then I thought.....what would Mike do lol-2.gif
Sure is a lot of wires....... drooley.gif

Jeff
tacm
QUOTE(jsconst @ Apr 7 2013, 01:05 AM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 6 2013, 09:43 PM) *

Ya I wasn't sure if I should grab it or not, then I thought.....what would Mike do lol-2.gif
Sure is a lot of wires....... drooley.gif

Jeff

Not to mention the airbag that can be resold.
Chris H.
Nice work!!! You're going to feel it today. Aleve..... Wish I would have labeled better...you'll be glad you did.
76-914
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Apr 5 2013, 06:45 AM) *

Bob

I thought you had the EG33 in yours, Bob? Nice score JC. If you feel your ears burning it's because of me. hissyfit.gif
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 7 2013, 08:52 AM) *

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Apr 5 2013, 06:45 AM) *

Bob

I thought you had the EG33 in yours, Bob? Nice score JC. If you feel your ears burning it's because of me. hissyfit.gif

I put a EG33 in it first and then a year later installed the EZ30. I went with the EZ30 because I wanted to do a Turbo install on the engine and the EZ30 would be the better engine to turbo. Its way smaller than the EG and leaves alot of room in the engine compartment for a turbo and all the extra things it takes.

Both swaps have pros and cons.

Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.