Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O2 bung placement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I am going to weld a o2 bung on my set of triad headers. I have an innovate LC1 setup. I understand that the placement should be somewhere between 10 and 2 o'clock. Just because of clearance, I am planning on placing at 10 or 2 o'clock (not 12) however I am not sure if I should put it on the outside (A) or the inside (B) of the curve? Which place would give a most accurate reading

(the picture below is not my car, I pirated from a different post)

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
My guess would be "A" since the flow will move faster at the outside of the radius.
messix
before the bend.

not in the bend!
ww914
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Apr 6 2013, 08:51 AM) *

I am going to weld a o2 bung on my set of triad headers. I have an innovate LC1 setup. I understand that the placement should be somewhere between 10 and 2 o'clock. Just because of clearance, I am planning on placing at 10 or 2 o'clock (not 12) however I am not sure if I should put it on the outside (A) or the inside (B) of the curve? Which place would give a most accurate reading

(the picture below is not my car, I pirated from a different post)

Click to view attachment

I would put it high on the Triad elbow to keep it away from rocks. Just tilt it down a little.
messix
placement of the o2 shouldn't be done willy nilly.....

read here http://www.wbo2.com/lsu/lsuinstal.pdf
VaccaRabite
I would put it on the pipe that goes up from the headers to the muffler.

In fact, that exactly what I did. No chance of it collecting water on the up pipe.

IPB Image
Hard to tell but it is at a slightly downward angle. I studied the same document that Messix posted when I chose placement.

Another thing to consider.... The headers look like Euro Race headers modified for the triad. I had a BITCH of a time getting them to seal on my car, and eventually got rid of them and went back to exchangers. I was always getting leaks at the collector.

Zach
tornik550
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 7 2013, 09:51 AM) *

I would put it on the pipe that goes up from the headers to the muffler.

In fact, that exactly what I did. No chance of it collecting water on the up pipe.

IPB Image
Hard to tell but it is at a slightly downward angle. I studied the same document that Messix posted when I chose placement.

Another thing to consider.... The headers look like Euro Race headers modified for the triad. I had a BITCH of a time getting them to seal on my car, and eventually got rid of them and went back to exchangers. I was always getting leaks at the collector.

Zach

I ended up welding the bung about 45 degrees from vertical on the part before the bend. It turns out there was a large amount of room there.

The headers and muffler are both triad- just got the shipment last week from triad dave. I haven't had a changes to start the car so I am not sure about leaks yet. Hopefully that doesn't become an issue.
Chris Pincetich
I have an O2 sensor hole downstream of the collector in my Eurorace-style headers. Since the 4->1 collector is "slip fit" squeezing all four pipes into one sleeve, the seal is not air tight. When I hit high-revs, it shows unusual lean conditions - likely from all the upstream leaks at the collector letting more air in.

I have a stock 1.7 TIV in front of this header, and having never done any weird tuning or experienced any "noticeable" pings or detonations, I am inclined to think it is the air coming in that causes the mix to look bad.

ALSO - my headers originally came w a small hole in one tube on each side, BEFORE the collector, which was perhaps for O2. I think those upstream locations would have been best for making the final O2 collector hole(s).

Just my $0.02. I haven't had $$ or motivation to chase down more evidence or try for a better tune or seal at the headers. My 914 runs great, sounds great (little loud!) and I am happy beerchug.gif

You may consider calling Triad and asking. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.