Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery Acid Mat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andrewvolsen
Has anyone used one of these battery acid mats?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Battery-Mat-Acid...attery+acid+mat

Does anyone have thoughts on using this as an alternative to buying an Optima type sealed battery? The battery in my 914 isn't very old so I don't really want to replace it, but I am concerned about worsening the battery tray and hell hole rot.

My other thought was about cutting up a second one of these mats to fit in the hell hole/engine bay shelf area to help protect it in the event some acid does make it's way down there.

Andrew
larryM
they are excellent insurance - buy 2 - or maybe a dozen - I have them in all my cars
reharvey
They're fine if your battery NEVER gets wet. They hold water like a sponge and will keep the battery tray wet all the time. Not a good thing.
bulitt
you might want to check into a marine battery case. they are cheap.
andrewvolsen
I will look into the marine battery case, thanks for the suggestion.
Kaduku
I saw a bag-like item with a Optima battery inside it. It had a foil like material on the exterior. It's main purpose was to contain leaking acid from your car batteries.

It was being sold a a machine shop near my place.

They were just using the Optima battery for display purposes. I think it's exactly what I need for my 914, and with the Optima battery is full proof.

rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(bulitt @ Apr 6 2013, 10:49 AM) *

you might want to check into a marine battery case. they are cheap.

With a marine case how would you install it into a 914 ? What I mean is if the case is hard mounted to the battery tray I don't think you would be able to get the battery in/out. Or would you place the battery in the marine case and slide the case/battery in place ? If you go that route would you keep the case/top in place with a strap ? I have a marine battery case in my boat so I am familiar with them just curious how to use in a 914 it's kind of tight in that battery area.
rhodyguy
as noted above they're a sponge and you'll be tossing them on a maintenance type basis. think soaking a paper towel in acid and laying it in the tray.

cheap and easy...914 style...remove bat, go in the kitchen get a fine mesh sieve, a box of baking soda, and a spray bottle. mist the bat tray and dust with the soda. you might see the the soda foam up. let it work and wipe clean. repeat if you want. this helps to neutralize the acid.
Jasfsmith
I've used them for years. One is placed under the battery, and one cut to fit under the battery cover (assuming you still have one).
J P Stein
I don't post here often but I'll do so now.

Battery acid has probably killed more 914s than any other cause.
Lead/acid batteries vent their acid.

Dry cell batteries don't. Ayup, they cost more but they won't cut your car in half.
In this day & age I'm surprised this issue still comes up. Dry cells have been available for at least 10 years.....where have you folks been?

Those that don't learn from history are bound to repeat it.

BTW, don't take your 914 into the rain.....or car wash.
Mark Henry
I'm running an optima that is ten years old+, trick is it's always in a running DD car. In the winter I put it in my VW golf beater.

Just noticed up here Costco doesn't sell optima's anymore?
rhodyguy
i think the return policy at costco contributed to the end of sales. i know of 2 that failed, buyers went to costco, and they just exchanged them. perhaps the profit margin was too slim as well.

k
J P Stein
I didn't like the Optima much....after it puked in my trunk..not a dry cell.
Odyssey is a good un'..
JamesM
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 8 2013, 06:31 AM) *

i think the return policy at costco contributed to the end of sales. i know of 2 that failed, buyers went to costco, and they just exchanged them. perhaps the profit margin was too slim as well.

k

agree.gif

This is what the guy at costco told me, to many people killing them and excahnging. Fine by me though as the quality of the Optimas has gone to stromberg.gif the last few years. The one I just replaced started going bad after about 3 years (the first one i bought back in 2000 lasted closer to 10). Decided to give the Odyssey 925 a try this time around. Higher cost up front as i bought the rennline mount for it as well, but the mount is a 1 time purchase and the whole package does save 15lbs in my autox car over the Optima.

Drums66
QUOTE(larryM @ Apr 6 2013, 09:23 AM) *

they are excellent insurance - buy 2 - or maybe a dozen - I have them in all my cars

.....I use them idea.gif(hasn't hurt nothing yet!)
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.