Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Splitting the Doghouse / Fan housing for cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve73
unsure.gif

I'm trying to split this open and clean out all the dried oil and dirt accumulated due to the front mail seal failure. I'm sure I have all the bolts holding it together out but it still won't split appart. I've tried rubber hammers and gently prying on it with pry bars but something is still holding it together.

Your help is appreciated.

If i'm not calling the part by the appropriate name please inform me of this too.

Stephen

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Cupomeat
Not sure, as it has been a while, but take a good look at it, inside especially, and look to see what may still be holding on.

As with the case, it usually means that there is one fastener still in place.

Good luck
Steve73
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Apr 6 2013, 03:57 PM) *

As with the case, it usually means that there is one fastener still in place.

Good luck

Thanks, It flexes a lot on the sides and i put twigs in the gap to add a little pressure on it. it seems like it's still attached near the center where the fan goes. Still can't see any remaining screws. Are there pins holding it together that are seized up?
PanelBilly
I remember that I had trouble with that too. Look at the PET and check for another screw
Cupomeat
Yes, could be a dowel pin that is corroded.

Sorry, it has been too long for me to remember in that much detail, but I'll do a little searching around and repost if I find anything.
flash914
The bracket that holds the alternator is still on it I think it has one screw in each half. Gordon
sean_v8_914
yes alt bracket and a screw. top, middle, front facing, about 1 inch below the top
Steve73
piratenanner.gif

Thanks for all the input!

Actually the Alternator brackets don't have to be removed.

The case split today thanks to using the HANDLE of my pry bar around the center of where the fan spins. The steel pins caused the aluminum around them to oxidize and it was pretty stuck. I can only recommend gentile pressure to get them loose, don't hurt that aluminum case.

Click to view attachment

I scraped out about a softball's worth of dried oil out of the fan housing. That's what a leaking front main seal will do for ya!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

These look better but they wore me out cleaning them. I want them to be sparkling before I bolt them back on the engine!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.