Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tanks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
With the exception of the filler cap and expansion tank, are there diffs in the tanks themselves thru the years?
Will they interchange?

Thanks.
type47fan
A quick search shows two (2) part numbers issued:

1970 - 1973 914 201 010 10
1974 - 1976 914 201 010 12

The strainer screens in the bottom of the tank are different in '75-'76.

Don't know what the differences in the tanks are, but I would suspect they are interchangable from a fit and function aspect.

Wayne (type47fan)
TheCabinetmaker
The tank on my 75 had some loose rust particles accumulated around the screen, and any sudden turn would cause the car to stall. Very bad in a 914, right? I examined some extra tanks I have, and found one from a 73 that was in excellent condition inside. The 73 and 74 appear to be identical in every respect. The 75 does not have the mounts for the charcoal canister, the mounts for the expansion tank are different, and the strainer screen is about a third the size of the pre 75. Expansion tank on the 75 is plastic. Looks like the tanks themselves are identcal. I changed tanks, and filter, and all is well now. I can slide all the way around a corner (roads are wet today biggrin.gif )and no more stall smilie_pokal.gif

pre 75 expansion tank, charcoal canister, and filler weigh 6lbs 8oz. The 75 weighs 2lbs 14 oz

BTW, I started with one gallon of gas in a dry tank, drove two blocks to the gas station and the reserve light went off at 2.3 gals.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.