Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil cooler installation question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
I see in the haynes manual, that it states "do not forget the washer between the cooler and the crankcase" during the cooler installation instructions.

However the PET catalog does not show any such washer or even the nuts that hold down the cooler.

After digging throug the PO's box of nuts and bolts (I wasnt the one to take this particular engine apart), I found three aluminum flat washers 2.5 mm thick that are the same ID as the cooler studs.

Would these be the washers that the haynes manual hints at?
I would assume if they DO go in there, it is to keep from over crushing the seals.
The cooler and the case both have a recess for the seals, so it is not obvious if these are required.

Another question: I bought Jake's engine sealant kit, so is anything from that kit recommended for the oil cooler seals? (Dirko, Curil, Loctite, etc)

I know the mantra: "Just use engine oil" but after buying the kit I figured I would ask.
I used a very small amount of the Dirko on the strainer gaskets since aircooled.net suggested that was what it was good for.

Stu
mepstein
I just replaced the oil cooler seals. There were the usual thin steel washers under the nut but no other washers. I used a thin coat of grease to hold the seals in the right spot but no sealants.
stugray
Maybe the three flat washers I have go outside the cooler under the nut?

Again the PET catalog shows nothing except the cooler one the seal(s), no spacer, flat washer, lock washer, or nut

Stu
Black22
QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 6 2013, 05:03 PM) *

Maybe the three flat washers I have go outside the cooler under the nut?

Yes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.