Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sundevil64
I bought my first 914 yesterday. It's a 71 and seems to be mostly original with not too bad of a rust issue. I see some on the floor pans a little, but all the suspension mounting points don't seem to bad.

I am not sure what I am going to do with this project so far, but I want to get it running first and decide. It has sat for many many years, at least 8 here in TX, several in CA, originally from Montana...I think.

The motor does turn though so that's a good sign I think. It' still FI. I have gotten familiar with air cooled cars over the past 3 years. I usually run around on Pelican. I am working backward on these cars. I started with a turbo for my first air cooled car and have had several since and still have a couple, now three.

Here are a few pics.

IPB Image

FI seems intact.
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
KELTY360
welcome.png

Best of luck with your car, 914s are a blast.
ww914

welcome.png

Doesn't look too bad. You will have fun with it. Many folks on this forum have gone through what you will be doing, so stay in touch and learn how to use the search button.
JawjaPorsche
I salute your determination. Good luck with your project. beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
sundevil64
Thanks for all the welcomes. I'm looking for tires now. The ones on the car are borrowed.

Well the car will crank just fine and we have spark. I'm sure the fp is toast, but I have a line on a carb set up to see if I can get it running and driving. I will need to set up the carb and get the brakes to work. I hope the calipers are decent enough for some test runs.

I found more rust on the rear floor boards, hell hole, and seat mounts. The longitudenals seem somewhat fine.
rick 918-S
welcome.png
cary
welcome.png

jpnovak
Penny wants her wheels and tires back!

Sundevil found a pretty good car and a great price. Certainly, its driveable in the current condition assuming we can get it running and make sure the brakes are up to spec.

Let the fun begin.
sundevil64
I should have tires on it by the time you get back. Thanks for letting me use them. The wheels were so bad I had to media blast them.

Morrie came over today and helped with a distributor. It runs! and pretty well actually.

Here is the media blasted wheel. Much better than before. I can now paint and mock up like an rsr wheel.
IPB Image
sundevil64
So I had to pressure wash the awful paint on the car to see how easily it will come off. Off it came. It's very easy with a hot pressure washer. I stripped 3 panels in about 20 min.
IPB Image

Strangest thing, the ants seem to like the self etching primer at the bottom.

IPB Image
rick 918-S
Were you able to leave the FI on it? It runs?
jpnovak
I know that the owner is traveling.

I am pretty sure they got it running by bolting on a set of carbs running off an external pump and can. The FI was a bit, HMM questionable as is the cleanliness of the gas tank and lines. At least they know the motor is good. The FI will be cleaned and inspected and will probably run.

I just got back from a week long work trip and do not know more than this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.