Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric pump for steering assist
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

I need to get some sort of power assist for my steering, especially with the 1:5.1 quickner.

Everyone I talked with said that the Toyota MR2 has such a unit that is electric but connects to the steering unit and forces hydraulic oil in the steering rack to lessen input.

Anyone ever put one of these units in their race car?

McMark
Pontiac G6 has an electric assist power steering. No hydraulics AFAIK... something like this could be interesting.

IPB Image
Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 7 2013, 11:54 PM) *

Pontiac G6 has an electric assist power steering. No hydraulics AFAIK... something like this could be interesting.

IPB Image

So one of those runs into the steering rack? Weight?
J P Stein
I have no experience with electric steering, but I read it's numb as a computer game.
The MR2 set up has excellent "feel".
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 8 2013, 08:49 AM) *

I have no experience with electric steering, but I read it's numb as a computer game.

GREAT / GREAT JP knows about this.

So JP how does this MR2 set up work. Does it hose into my steering rack or do I need to change to a Toyota rack?

Wish you could have been at Medford yesterday. Really FUN day and the car was handling so well.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 8 2013, 01:57 PM) *

So JP how does this MR2 set up work. Does it hose into my steering rack or do I need to change to a Toyota rack?

Wish you could have been at Medford yesterday. Really FUN day and the car was handling so well.

I *assume* you would have to use the MR2 rack.

The pump is electric & has several controls. I had trouble with an electrical widget ....a controller or sumthin'....on it but the guy up the street fixed the old widget......a damn good thing too as a new one was a pricey. The pump & electrics are fairly compact unit. I Don't know all that much about them but I have heard of them being swapped into other cars.

It would prolly better from a TM&E aspect to get going on some free weights. biggrin.gif

Sounds like you done good at Medford....for an old fart. I never had any problems with the original 914 steering......or maybe that's why I was so slow. confused24.gif
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 8 2013, 03:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 8 2013, 01:57 PM) *

I *assume* you would have to use the MR2 rack.

The pump is electric & has several controls. I had trouble with an electrical widget ....a controller or sumthin'....on it but the guy up the street fixed the old widget......a damn good thing too as a new one was a pricey. The pump & electrics are fairly compact unit. I Don't know all that much about them but I have heard of them being swapped into other cars.

It would prolly better from a TM&E aspect to get going on some free weights. biggrin.gif

Sounds like you done good at Medford....for an old fart. I never had any problems with the original 914 steering......or maybe that's why I was so slow. confused24.gif

Hey, old farts rule. biggrin.gif

The difference between the stock ratio and 1:5.1 is actually huge. It allows you to smooth out corners, less man handle the car and actually go faster. I will never go back to a stock ratio. Guess all these guys racing around with power steering had already figure out that slicks + power steering = faster car. mad.gif

Now I understand why those students with new 911's did so well.
McMark
Pretty sure you have to use an MR2 rack (probably any PS rack actually). There's nothing in the stock rack. It's just a couple gears with seals on the end of the tube to hold the grease in.

This would mean some serious hacking, cutting, welding.

Since you're doing less turning, would a larger steering wheel be an option?
Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 8 2013, 09:55 PM) *

Pretty sure you have to use an MR2 rack (probably any PS rack actually). There's nothing in the stock rack. It's just a couple gears with seals on the end of the tube to hold the grease in.

This would mean some serious hacking, cutting, welding.

Since you're doing less turning, would a larger steering wheel be an option?

I have a 12" wheel now, but will be looking for a 13"er. Good point Mark.

Question: Any other ideas on good PS racks, i.e., beside the Toyota MR2?

Sure would like to see some pictures on how Toyota mounts their rack, just to understand the level of effort.

In any event I'm heading to the gym and getting back to the upper body workouts. When I ran the West Coast Ramble, didn't have any issues as I was big time into lifting at that point. This time I'm going to be more careful and not injury myself again. smash.gif
Randal

BTW one of the racers up at Medford said the MR2 units are great, but have one drawback. The first generation units are full on all the time and draw 80 amps. The second generation MR2 units don't draw anything until you turn the wheel, then 80 amps.

So our Bosch alternators probably put out 20 amps (?) or so, so have to figure out if my small battery has enough amp feed to keep supporting an 80 amp draw during a run. And my Link electronic module doesn't like being starved for juice. If the juice isn't there the car doesn't run.
byndbad914
I intend to use one of these on my Nova, was considering it for the 914. You can put it inline and use your stock rack, it is an assist inline between the wheel and rack. I have no idea what the feel is, it might be numb as others have suggested, but my junk right shoulder would kill me after a day at the track with the 914 so I would welcome anything other than that. Not bad for a grand and would be really easy to adapt.

http://www.unisteer.com/search_by_product/...ctra-steer.html

best part is no hoses or fluid to mess with, just an ECU and some wiring. Way easier to route under the dash than hoses around the front of my engine with the dry sump and so forth, and never have to worry about a leak. If the power dies, it is just a manual setup so nothing severe with an ECU failure or short...

they make one for 2" diam steering columns so I might use that as old Chevies and so forth have that, and my aftermarket Ididit column is 2". It will splice right into the column up under the dash and be totally hidden if I go that route.
Jgilliam914
Interesting! I did see somewhere that a guy used a electric rack out of a hybrid in a pre-75 racing 911. I will try to find the article and post it.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 9 2013, 11:30 AM) *

I feel that a 12" wheel is too small with the stock rack.
Swapping for a larger one may give enough relief that you don't need the power assist.
Randal
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 11 2013, 09:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 9 2013, 11:30 AM) *

I feel that a 12" wheel is too small with the stock rack.
Swapping for a larger one may give enough relief that you don't need the power assist.

Your right Chris. I'm looking for a 13.5 or 14.0 incher now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.