Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fixed - Engine re-install help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
I'm trying to get the engine bolted back in the car. The trans mounts are bolted in. I have a jack under each end of the engine bar holding the engine into the body. Problem is, the bolts that go up through the engine bar and engine mount on the body aren't long enough. ??? They were the right size when I dropped the engine and I didn't mix them up with other bolts. I need another inch of threads. Help please.
SLITS
If they are the same bolts, you don't have the engine bar against the mount.

and

The bolts go down from the mount .... the nuts are on the bottom or behind the steering wheel. biggrin.gif

also

early or late car?
mepstein
If they are the same bolts, you don't have the engine bar against the mount.
---the bolt is sticking up through the mount, just not enough threads to engage the nut.
and

The bolts go down from the mount .... the nuts are on the bottom or behind the steering wheel. biggrin.gif
---are you sure? The bolts have an allen head. #16 in the picture.

also

early or late car? ---Early
type47
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 8 2013, 08:33 AM) *

...The bolts go down from the mount .... the nuts are on the bottom ...early or late car?

Check out PET figure 119-00. I heard the advice that the nuts should be above the mount, that is, the bolt is inserted threads up. The reason they said this is that if you drag on, say, a speed bump where you could bend the threaded end of the bolt (if inserted threads down) you could "never" get the nut off ... if you drag the head on a speed bump, you scrape the head. 'Course the best advice is to never hit anything at all ...

EDIT:that's PET 119-00 in mepsteins post. The PET says 16 is a pan head bolt M 10 x 90 so you can measure yours ...
914itis
Something is not sitting properly . The bolts goes up to prevent damage to the threads,
mepstein
Fixed. I had added a washer to the head of the bolt were there shouldn't have been one. The bolt needs to recess into the crossbar. I got my extra inch and mounts bolted up easily. Thanks everyone for putting up with my - duh - moment.
JRust
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 8 2013, 10:41 AM) *

Fixed. I had added a washer to the head of the bolt were there shouldn't have been one. The bolt needs to recess into the crossbar. I got my extra inch and mounts bolted up easily. Thanks everyone for putting up with my - duh - moment.

Yeah you have the early engine bar. That allen bolt definately can't have a washer on it. Just saw this to late to give the fix dry.gif . Blast it a thread I actually had the answer for headbang.gif . To little to late as usual rolleyes.gif . Glad you got it figured out
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.