Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Okay Experts: Identify this sound... SOLVED...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rockaria
Okay I have a funny sound coming from the drivers side rear. It only happens when it is over 80 Degrees ambiant outside. Never when cold. It usually comes on after about 30 MPH and goes away suddenly. Sometimes its really loud sometimes quiet.

I made a recording today and though someone might know if I have a problem or just something simple.

1973 914 2.0 D-Jet - Stock as she came from the factory.

Crazy 914 sound MP3 - 4MB

In the audio I start recording when I am doing 40MPH. I do that a while, get to red light. It goes away then I go back to 40MPH and it does not come back, then it just comes back when I am doing about 25. blink.gif

Thanks in advance,
McMark
Rear wheel bearing?
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Rockaria @ Apr 8 2013, 10:04 PM) *

Okay I have a funny sound coming from the drivers side rear. It only happens when it is over 80 Degrees ambiant outside. Never when cold. It usually comes on after about 30 MPH and goes away suddenly. Sometimes its really loud sometimes quiet.

I made a recording today and though someone might know if I have a problem or just something simple.

1973 914 2.0 D-Jet - Stock as she came from the factory.

Crazy 914 sound MP3 - 4MB

In the audio I start recording when I am doing 40MPH. I do that a while, get to red light. It goes away then I go back to 40MPH and it does not come back, then it just comes back when I am doing about 25. blink.gif

Thanks in advance,

Mine was doing that as well for awhile, very similar symptoms, except I only heard it when it was cold out. I cleaned and regreased my CVs and it seemed to go away, but then again, it got warm right after I did that. Either CVs or wheel bearings. Either way, a PITA.
r_towle
rock in the brake disk?
914itis
Brake dust shield ?
Rockaria
Pressing on the brakes has no effect. My thought possible stuck caliper. Sharp turning left or right has no effect. I am leaning towards bearings or CVs. I just want a second opinion from the experts before I start throwing money at it.
r_towle
go pull the caliper off and see if the bearing is funky...or if something falls out when you remove the caliper.

with race tires I got rocks all over the place, including in the calipers.

If nothing else, you can then test the bearing with no resistance.

rich
tomeric914
Speedometer cable
URY914
Rust
skeates
I'm by no means an expert, but my immediate thought was the rear wheel bearing. The more I listened to it though I leaned towards a CV joint because of the rhythmic nature of the sound. Hopefully its something simple like the speedo cable.
Bob L.
Alternator pulley/belt? confused24.gif
tadink
Turbo-whine? BUT don't you know:

You Can't Turbo a 914!

{I just wanted to be the first to say it one time - I'm so happy now!}

carry on.

td
Rockaria
Speedometer would have more noise on the passanger side I think. I had the noise before I rebuilt the engine, but not as bad. So its not the pully and belt. This sounds like the wheel, brake, CV. I guess it goes on the jack stands and comes apart. I hope its the CVs, that should be easy to deal with. I guess berrings and brakes would be something that should be done anyways. At least the driving season is coming to an end. Southwest Driving season = September through May. Just too dang hot outside to drive in the 110+ degree heat.

beer.gif

Thanks all,
Rockaria
I have solved the mystery noise. Well I solved it months ago, but full testing is now complete...

Last Spring I repacked my CV joints with new grease and the sound has not returned.

I did not take anything apart, I got a grease gun with an injection needle and put grease in from the rear of the CVs between the rubber boot and the drive shaft. I then massaged the boot to get the grease in all places.

All fixed and has worked great since. Just an FYI to anyone who has this noise. I waited almost a year to make sure the noise did not return before posting this was solved.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.