Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Patrick vs Rich?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bradtho
I hope to switch to a 6 in the not too distant future so am thinking about installing the motor mount while I'm doing some body & paint work this year. Yeah, classic "while I'm in there" syndrome. So...

For those of you who have used both, does the weld in PMS mount transmit more vibration than the RJ style? I like the design of the PMS a lot, but this is a street car and I want my wife to like riding in the car. doesn't seem to have much rubber in there to isolate the engine from the body.

Will either mount get in the way of a normal 4 setup, while I wait for the motor swap? seems like the Patrick mount is less likely to get in the way of anything.

I'm assuming no issues with running heat exchangers on either mount, right?
phillstek
I am using the Patrick "bolt-in" version and yes there is a slight increase in engine vibration and engine sound is also more noticeable. I was using their "Quick 6" bar with sport mounts and solid mounts on the rear. Now using Wevo blue mounts on the rear.

The vibration is only slight and very brief at low revs under full throttle load. The sound could be dampened with the appropriate deadening material.
JmuRiz
I haven't installed mine yet, or ridden in one with either....BUT I only got the RJ mount because I got a killer deal on one for sale. I really like the Patrick Motorsports mount and would have got that if the prices I could get them for were equal.
Luke M
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 9 2013, 07:11 AM) *

I haven't installed mine yet, or ridden in one with either....BUT I only got the RJ mount because I got a killer deal on one for sale. I really like the Patrick Motorsports mount and would have got that if the prices I could get them for were equal.

I recall selling you that mount... now put it to use beerchug.gif

My brothers 6 conv it's also getting the RJ mount.
I like it over the PMS mount because I feel it also stiffens the lower fire wall.
JmuRiz
Oh it'll get used....car's at ScottyB's getting all done-up biggrin.gif
SLITS
I use the RJ mount in the 3 cars I have built. It does not transmit any more noise thru the body as the engine is isolated on 911 rubber mounts.

The engine itself is louder than a 4 cylinder. I looked at Jim Lamonica's Six and his is quiet because: 1.) He used a 3.6 with hydraulic lifters. 2.) He added sound deadening to the back of the back pad. 3.) He used double the thickness back glass.

I don't like Patricks' mount as it interferes with the heat exchangers regardless of what they may say though I admit I only had experience with one car with the Patrick mount. It does have its' advantages.

That's all!
a914dude
Ask Iverson about his Patrick mount......
bradtho
No one has experience comparing the 2 for vibration?
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(a914dude @ Apr 9 2013, 08:07 AM) *

I believe that was a different style of mount from the ones being discussed here. That was the "Quick Six" type that has a single bar going between the -4 motor mount pods, not the weld-in types that were first asked about.

But yeah, they did not exactly cover themselves in glory with that incident.

--DD
naro914
I have a mount that a fabricator friend of mine is selling on each of our cars. He took the Patrick design and improved on it. He's a fabricator for Ganassi racing, so I'm thinking he knows what he's doing...oh, and he's done all the fabrication work on our cars .... and builds roll cages...and....

I can post pics and info if you like...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(naro914 @ Apr 9 2013, 11:12 PM) *

I have a mount that a fabricator friend of mine is selling on each of our cars. He took the Patrick design and improved on it. He's a fabricator for Ganassi racing, so I'm thinking he knows what he's doing...oh, and he's done all the fabrication work on our cars .... and builds roll cages...and....

I'd like to see the pics smile.gif

The thing I don't like about the patrick mount is if a bolt were to break there is no back-up to the design, seems like a simple lip welded to the tube mount area would catch the bar in the (however unlikely) case of a bolt failure.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 9 2013, 05:15 PM) *

I believe that was a different style of mount from the ones being discussed here. That was the "Quick Six" type that has a single bar going between the -4 motor mount pods, not the weld-in types that were first asked about.

--DD

Is Iversons experience a secret? confused24.gif So, what happened to Iversons Patrick mount? Was it so horrendous, no one wants to share it? happy11.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(naro914 @ Apr 9 2013, 08:12 PM) *

If you have pics, I would love to see them. Thanks.
carr914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 10 2013, 11:24 AM) *

--DD

Is Iversons experience a secret? confused24.gif So, what happened to Iversons Patrick mount? Was it so horrendous, no one wants to share it? happy11.gif

Elliot, this was a Long Time ago & Rico is just stirring up Shit. stirthepot.gif

The Patrick Mount that he is talking about is Not the Current Mount that Patrick offers. It was the Chrome Moly Bar that attached to the -4 Mounting Areas and held the -6 Engine. Iverson's Broke at the Weld between the Bar & the Engine Mount Plate and I believe his engine dropped. I don't remember the whole story, but there might have been an re-weld at that point that contributed to the problem.

I used that Chrome Moly Mount in a Race Car with no problems as did many others. John Forbes, who has probably built as many 914-6 Conversion Race Cars always used this mount.

As in any product, there is a potential for a Problem, but I have found Patrick Products to be well made. The Nice thing about his new mount is that it can swivel the motor down in order to do Valve Adjustments (particulilary hard on a Twin-Plug motor)
brant
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 10 2013, 09:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 10 2013, 11:24 AM) *

--DD

Elliot, this was a Long Time ago & Rico is just stirring up Shit. stirthepot.gif

The Patrick Mount that he is talking about is Not the Current Mount that Patrick offers. It was the Chrome Moly Bar that attached to the -4 Mounting Areas and held the -6 Engine. Iverson's Broke at the Weld between the Bar & the Engine Mount Plate and I believe his engine dropped. I don't remember the whole story, but there might have been an re-weld at that point that contributed to the problem.

I used that Chrome Moly Mount in a Race Car with no problems as did many others. John Forbes, who has probably built as many 914-6 Conversion Race Cars always used this mount.

As in any product, there is a potential for a Problem, but I have found Patrick Products to be well made. The Nice thing about his new mount is that it can swivel the motor down in order to do Valve Adjustments (particulilary hard on a Twin-Plug motor)

yes to all of the above...

and beyond valve adjustment... I've replaced broken rocker shafts at the track because of the patrick mount.... in-between track sessions without missing a race.
naro914
It's a weld in mount (sorry if I forgot to mention that)

Pictures are from Papa Smurfs install...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 10 2013, 08:24 AM) *

Long story short, it broke. They said, "Gee that's too bad. You can buy a new one at full price, though."

I don't really like "quick six" mount setups... That's probably one reason why.

--DD
MikeSpraggi
I really like the Patrick mount. Have had the engine out many times trying to sort the new track car out ... well at least the wrenches working on the engine have had it out many times. They say it's really easy to work with once you get used to it. I've heard about repairs being made at the track with these mounts making things a lot easier.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.