Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stuck engine cover latch.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Reber
Howdy. I have a '75 914 with a stuck engine cover latch. The knob/lever doesn't move at all and I can't seem to trip the latch from inside the trunk (like I've been able to in the past). Anyone have any suggestions for getting it open, short of removing the latch or cover?
Thanks!
JawjaPorsche
Open the trunk and spray the latch with some lube? PB Blaster? Good luck.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Reber @ Apr 9 2013, 12:47 PM) *

Howdy. I have a '75 914 with a stuck engine cover latch. The knob/lever doesn't move at all and I can't seem to trip the latch from inside the trunk (like I've been able to in the past). Anyone have any suggestions for getting it open, short of removing the latch or cover?
Thanks!

Is the knob stuck closed/down, or is it stuck open/forward?

My car is out of my possession at the moment, but I know there are two 10 mm nuts holding the whole latch assembly to the firewall. You may be able to reach them through the grill? I can't remember.
timothy_nd28
Man that really sucks. I never had to do this, but I would think you could access the mech thru under the car. If you could slightly bend the engines rear tin, you might be able to sneak your arm up there to remove the 2 bolts holding the latch on. It doesn't sound like a fun project, good luck.
Reber
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 9 2013, 01:09 PM) *

Is the knob stuck closed/down, or is it stuck open/forward?

My car is out of my possession at the moment, but I know there are two 10 mm nuts holding the whole latch assembly to the firewall. You may be able to reach them through the grill? I can't remember.

The knob is partway out, and frozen -- i.e., it can't even be jiggled. I can access the latch mechanism from the trunk, but unlike in the past, I can't just pop it with a screwdriver. I put some wd-40 on it last week, so I'll have another go at it in the next day or so. I reckon I'll end up just removing the latch; if I recall correctly, there's decent access to the bolts.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Reber @ Apr 9 2013, 04:34 PM) *

The knob is partway out, and frozen -- i.e., it can't even be jiggled. I can access the latch mechanism from the trunk, but unlike in the past, I can't just pop it with a screwdriver. I put some wd-40 on it last week, so I'll have another go at it in the next day or so. I reckon I'll end up just removing the latch; if I recall correctly, there's decent access to the bolts.

A couple things you could try. Maybe twisting the pull knob as opposed to just pulling it will help? Also, might have a helper put pulling pressure on the knob while you try to move/jiggle the lid up and down manually? I think a lot of times the lid gets adjusted by a previous owner, but the latch is not re-aligned and eventually it gets jammed.
Jeffs9146
I think I would do sort of what was stated above and spray PB into the hole in the cabin holding the straw into the pipe and sealing as well as possible. Then spray until you see PB comming out of the latch in the engine release! Let it sit a couple of hours or days and start to work the latch handle pulling back and fourth until it lets go!

That's my $.02!
TheCabinetmaker
Good luck getting liquid to travel 18"up a tube with an aresol can. Keep working with the screw driver. If your sure its the cable, just cut it and replace.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 9 2013, 03:14 PM) *

Good luck getting liquid to travel 18"up a tube with an aresol can. Keep working with the screw driver. If your sure its the cable, just cut it and replace.

Well it will flow up a ways and I guess you could blow some compressed air in if you think the top part is rusted but it is almost always rusted in the first 5"-8"!
rhodyguy
have you tried pushing down on the engine cover at the latch point and having someone else try pulling the release?
reharvey
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 10 2013, 09:22 AM) *

have you tried pushing down on the engine cover at the latch point and having someone else try pulling the release?

agree.gif This has worked for me.
Reber
Thanks very much for the suggestions. I've enlisted a helper, I think (I don't understand or have any control over her schedule or interest in working on cars with me), and I'll pick up some PB Blaster and try again Friday.
hex9145
I had the same problem. What happened on mine the is the cable had rusted through the cable tube just past the firewall. Only remedy for me was cutting the tube. Also to open the engine cover I had a gap wide enough to stick a screw driver in the latch to open it.
Reber
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I got it open with some elbow grease and a helper, without having to remove anything.

Now to figure out what it'll take to start it...
JawjaPorsche
Ahhhhh.....elbow grease! You can't beat that stuff! Glad you got it open. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
lube the latch and the pull cable now that it's all down hill before you close it. trip the latch with a screwdriver until operates smoothly.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 15 2013, 02:52 PM) *

lube the latch and the pull cable now that it's all down hill before you close it. trip the latch with a screwdriver until operates smoothly.

agree.gif You don't want to go through that again. Might even pull the two nuts holding the latch assembly to the firewall so you can really clean and lube everything, and realign the latch if that was contributing to the problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.