Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Facet fuel pump to Dellorto carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David Stowers
My 14 has a facet fuel pump (2.5-3.5 psi, 30 gall ph) mounted at the front just next to the access to the bottom of the tank. It doesnt seem to deliver enough fuel. There are two inline plastic bowl filters, one beneath and one in the engine bay which dont visually seem to fill up properly. The car starts and runs but misfires seemingly due to insufficient fuel to two rear cylinders (one from each carb). I called a facet supplier who said the spec I have should be fine. Ive heard of having to mount them at 45 deg to optimize performance etc. The guy working on it for me reckons we should move the pump to the back fixed to the firewall?
Also, is it supposed to run all the time or should it stop when the float chambers are full and kick in again on demand?
Your thoughts and experiences please
wildman
I run a facet pump with my dual dellorto DRLA36's on a 1.8L and ive spun it to 6000 without fuel starvation issue. given that you're having issues with only one cylinder from each carb my first thought would be that the issue was internal to the carb.

I personally like the pump in the front because pumps do a much better job of pushing fuel than they do pulling (vaporlock can become an issue with them in the back)

As to running constantly, the facet pumps are internally regulated and should output 3-4psi while constantly running, I have noticed a slight change in sound as the fuel demand changes.

Hope that helps you.
monkeyboy
It shouldn't shut off. If it is, it needs replacing. I have seen them lock up like that. Sometimes it will release itself, but not always.

I'd recommend replacing it with a newer rotary pump. Place it beneath the tank. Pumps like to push, not pull fuel.
7TPorsh
I had one in the engine compartment...starved.

Moved up front...starved.

Changed to a rotary and replaced all the plastic with stainless, all new rubber and new clamps...perfect now.

At least from fuel point of view.
David Stowers
Thanks so far
wildman
I loved my rotary fuel pump as well. It was much quieter. I just broke the inlet nipple while changing the fuel filter the first time smash.gif huh.gif and had to throw a facet in.
KENNY
This fuel pump is been there for 13 years.i have a 1.8 dual 40 webers.
KENNY
Next to spare tire.
URY914
Fuel pumps "push". They should always be mounted at the tank.

Also NEVER mount a plastic fuel filter in a 914 engine compartment.
DBCooper
To see what's wrong try pulling a fuel line off the pump and running gas into a container, see if the pump is really functional. If it's working then reconnect the line there and pull another line back in the engine compartment, see if there's a kink or swelling somewhere in between. The angle the pump is mounted shouldn't make any difference.

Those Facet pumps are nasty things, run all the time and are really noisy. Unfortunately they last a long time, so the suffering never ends. You can quiet it down a bit by mounting it onto a rubber strip that's secured to the car. If that pump's bad I'd suggest you replace it with a modern rotary style pump. Same price, internally regulated and quiet. That Purolator pump is a Facet too, just private labeled.
brant
you need to run a fuel pressure test at the engine bay
if the pump is still putting 3psi to the engine WHEN WARM, then its something else...

but front is the correct place
it needs to be lower than the tank so you have a gravity feeds
you may just have a bad pump
(the fuel pressure test will tell)

p.s. if you permanently mount a fuel pressure gauge in the engine bay make sure it is not mounted on the engine.... only mount it on the chassis. A pressure gauge in the engine bay is a helpful trouble shooting tool
type2man
QUOTE(David Stowers @ Apr 9 2013, 02:00 PM) *

My 14 has a facet fuel pump (2.5-3.5 psi, 30 gall ph) mounted at the front just next to the access to the bottom of the tank. It doesnt seem to deliver enough fuel. There are two inline plastic bowl filters, one beneath and one in the engine bay which dont visually seem to fill up properly. The car starts and runs but misfires seemingly due to insufficient fuel to two rear cylinders (one from each carb). I called a facet supplier who said the spec I have should be fine. Ive heard of having to mount them at 45 deg to optimize performance etc. The guy working on it for me reckons we should move the pump to the back fixed to the firewall?
Also, is it supposed to run all the time or should it stop when the float chambers are full and kick in again on demand?
Your thoughts and experiences please

The plastic fuel filters usually dont fill up all the way, but it doesnt mean fuel is not flowing. Try disconnecting the line at the carb and turn the switch on to see how much fuel flow you have.

Secondly, the two rear banks misfiring have nothing to do with fuel starvation. The fuel bowl on the carbs feed both cylinders at the same time, so you have another issue.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 9 2013, 04:40 PM) *

Fuel pumps "push". They should always be mounted at the tank.

Also NEVER mount a plastic fuel filter in a 914 engine compartment.

My fuel pump has been in the engine compartment for 9 years. Gravity "pushes" the fuel to the rotary pump and it then "pushes" the fuel to my Weber 44idf's. The only time this might not work is if you have a high pressure fuel injection system. In that case gravity will not "push" with enough force through the long narrow fuel lines to supply the high pressure fuel pump. My 914 with a 3.2 and Motronic FI had to have the pump under the tank. My 2.2 liter type IV with Webers has the pump in the engine compartment. Both worked great. This isn't an opinion. Just indicating what worked for me. biggrin.gif I don't think plastic fuel filters should EVER be used anywhere. (That last part about the fuel filter was an opinion).
Cheers, Elliot
NJ914Guy
I had a facet on my 1973 2.0 with dual Weber 40's with no problems. It was installed under the gas tank in the front trunk and you could here the pump clicking away if you listened close.

I also had a fuel pressure regulator installed in the engine bay to ensure 3-3.5 PSI of constant pressure direct to the carbs. I suspect a bad pump or a problem elsewhere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.