Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Speaking of kids and manual transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TargaToy
On the first day that I was teaching my daughter to drive 5 speed in our "classic" Supra, she forgot to lift her throttle foot when she depressed the clutch and hit 2nd gear. She "caught" second in spectacular fashion. Of course, it freaked her out. She wasn't sure what the noise and the lurch was all about. I was laughing so hard it took me a few moments to compose myself so I could explain to her what had just happened (and why it was so cool).

Had to take her momma back to the scene later that night to show her what our new driver did. I was a proud dad. piratenanner.gif

This is her 2nd gear patch. Yes, the car has a LSD!

Click to view attachment

ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Apr 9 2013, 10:07 PM) *

On the first day that I was teaching my daughter to drive 5 speed in our "classic" Supra, she forgot to lift her throttle foot when she depressed the clutch and hit 2nd gear. She "caught" second in spectacular fashion. Of course, it freaked her out. She wasn't sure what the noise and the lurch was all about. I was laughing so hard it took me a few moments to compose myself so I could explain to her what had just happened (and why it was so cool).

Had to take her momma back to the scene later that night to show her what our new driver did. I was a proud dad. piratenanner.gif

This is her 2nd gear patch. Yes, the car has a LSD!

Very cool! Bright future ahead for her smile.gif Soon she'll be replacing Danica!
messix
sounds like she's ready to sign up with force racing! aktion035.gif
ldsgeek
Teaching my daughter to drive a few years ago in my BMW 320i, she did something similar, first gear though. Unfortunately for her, the car behind us had some pretty blue lights on top. The noise from the clutch dump didn't bother her nearly as much as the cop saying "license and registration please", especially since she didn't have hers yet. Good times indeed. smile.gif
DBCooper
Ha ha, good story. Mine got old VW's when they got their licences, so they each had to learn how to hop them up before they could make "mistakes" like that. Anything worth doing is worth working for, right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.