Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! Rear trunk won't open.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FourBlades
I have a regular locking rear trunk. No solenoid or Porsche reflector.

The trunk has opened fine every time for three years.

Since Joe installed all my EFI electronics in the trunk I have started locking it.

It worked fine locking and unlocking it for six months.

This week, when I unlock the trunk, it will not open.

The lock cylinder rotates fine with the key, but pressing the lock in does not unlatch the trunk lid.

Anyone have this problem before and figure out what to do?

Thanks...John
Eric_Shea
Tang broke off the lock tumbler at the back?

Pop out a top latch cup and reach through with a long extension and a 10mm socket.

sad.gif
FourBlades

I never felt like anything broke.

It seems like it partly unlatches but not enough.

When you push down on the lid you can hear it snap fully shut.

Starting to wonder if pushing forward on the edge of the lid will help.

Need to look at one of my other cars to see how the mechanism works.

I soda blasted and lubed the latch when I restored the car so it should not be gummed up.

Forgot about those cups...good idea.

John

ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Apr 10 2013, 12:17 AM) *

I never felt like anything broke.

It seems like it partly unlatches but not enough.

When you push down on the lid you can hear it snap fully shut.

Starting to wonder if pushing forward on the edge of the lid will help.

Need to look at one of my other cars to see how the mechanism works.

I soda blasted and lubed the latch when I restored the car so it should not be gummed up.

Forgot about those cups...good idea.

John

headbang.gif I know exactly what's going on. Your car resents the Chumpcar now that you've been giving it more attention sad.gif

Sorry to hear that John. Probably a dump question, but have you tried all manner of pushing down on the lid, or down and wiggle while you push in on the trunk button?

If you can't get it by next weekend, I have a couple very, very long 1/4 extensions that I could bring with me and I'm sure we could unbolt the rear latch assembly.
FourBlades

I'll try the wiggle and bang approach again.

If that does not work then I will need those extensions...

John
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Apr 10 2013, 05:14 PM) *

John

Got it. I'll bring them with me anyway. If you need to open it sooner, I got mine at Harbor Freight. They were pretty cheap.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 10 2013, 02:42 PM) *

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Apr 10 2013, 05:14 PM) *

John

Got it. I'll bring them with me anyway. If you need to open it sooner, I got mine at Harbor Freight. They were pretty cheap.

I hope your roof isn't in the trunk.
The 1/4" extension method is the way to go but.... there is not enought light to see if you are even near the 10mm bolts. It's been a while but I remember being able to remove the two 13mm bolts from one hinge(or both). I then lifted that corner and held it up a bit with a 2x4. Shine a light in there to see the target.
Use a wobble ended extension and a short socket, not a universal.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 10 2013, 10:47 PM) *

I hope your roof isn't in the trunk.
The 1/4" extension method is the way to go but.... there is not enought light to see if you are even near the 10mm bolts. It's been a while but I remember being able to remove the two 13mm bolts from one hinge(or both). I then lifted that corner and held it up a bit with a 2x4. Shine a light in there to see the target.
Use a wobble ended extension and a short socket, not a universal.

Is it possible to pop both cups out, using one to shine the light in, and the other to feed the extensions through?
Dave_Darling
Yes, that's how you get light in there.

Tape the extensions together; you don't want them coming apart inside the trunk...

--DD
FourBlades

Good tips, thanks!

Taping the extensions together and taking out the hinge bolts. first.gif

I was thinking taking the hinge bolts out would be a slam dunk until I looked at the pin and how it is held in by the catch.

I think even with the hinges out I still need to unbolt the catch.

Car is at Porsche of Melbourne having a tech inspection for its first DE next week.

They are fixing an oil leak that is currently causing the car to fail tech. sad.gif

John
rgalla9146
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Apr 12 2013, 12:38 PM) *

Good tips, thanks!

Taping the extensions together and taking out the hinge bolts. first.gif

I was thinking taking the hinge bolts out would be a slam dunk until I looked at the pin and how it is held in by the catch.

I think even with the hinges out I still need to unbolt the catch.

Car is at Porsche of Melbourne having a tech inspection for its first DE next week.

They are fixing an oil leak that is currently causing the car to fail tech. sad.gif

John

I suggested removing the hinge bolts. If you haven't done it yet, don't do it ! or proceed with great caution.
I forgot about the torsion bars. They are powerful and dangerous.
If you can, do the job through the cup holes. It is difficult but possible. If you remove the hinge bolts you must devise a way to release the torsion bar with some kind of control.
Be safe first.

FourBlades
I actually have the nice gas struts sold by camp914.

They work great and have no drama to install or remove.

I can actually pop one end off before removing the hinge bolt.

Thanks for the warning though.

John
FourBlades
Flood control says double post!
Rand
Before you get too deep, did you do the big butt approach? Sounds like you are well past this, but it would be nice if a butt plop an the back end of the trunk lid would release it. Good luck.
beerchug.gif
FourBlades

Got it open!

Following the advice folks posted here I removed the bolts from the hinges. That allowed me to open the front edge of the trunk enough to stick a 2x4 in to hold it up.

I attached a 10mm socket to the end of a long metal tube, clamped a vice grip to the tube for leverage turning the tube, and was able to back off the bolts holding on the latch.

I will post some pictures later when not so busy.

Thanks for all the help.

Still need to figure out why my lock was not releasing...

John
ThePaintedMan
Good deal John! I guess I don't need to bring my long extensions then?

I will, however bring the spare trunk lock hardware that I have. It may not be pretty, but everything works.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.