Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early 911 Front Struts, Hubs, and Calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
motorvated
Sorry if this has been addressed earlier, but I did search old threads and still didn't find an answer. I want to do a 4 to 5 bolt conversion on my Chalon, as the existing "conversion" used drilled and tapped cast aluminum spacers with screw-in lug studs (I posted some ppictures of these a while back when I was asking about lug nuts). My question is whether or not front struts with hubs, rotors, and calipers from a '67 911 will bolt into my car without having to do anything major to make them fit. If so, any ideas on what a decent set should cost? Not sure what to do about the rear hubs if I convert the fronts. I think I have missed out on the 5-bolt conversion GB too.
TravisNeff
I think the earlier struts will require a different ball joint than your 72, availability might be a little tricky.

a set of front struts from a 69-72 will bolt in with your existing ball joints, or you can use later struts if you switch to the swedge pin style ball joint.
worn
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Apr 10 2013, 11:32 AM) *

I think the earlier struts will require a different ball joint than your 72, availability might be a little tricky.

a set of front struts from a 69-72 will bolt in with your existing ball joints, or you can use later struts if you switch to the swedge pin style ball joint.

What if he gets the A arms as well (with the ball joints included)? Won't that bolt up?
mskala
I believe pre-69 is a totally different ball game with the ball joint and a-arm type.

Anything 69 or later will bolt up as a package to your a-arm, but as mentioned the
ball joints are different for pre-72 struts (still available). Also you may need a
banjo fitting and new brake line, I don't remember the 4-cyl caliper connection.
Cap'n Krusty
He'll need the whole front suspension, including the around $200 apiece ball joints, which wear out about 10 times as fast as the later versions. No way I would even consider that conversion.

The Cap'n
914Sixer
LISTEN to what the Cap'n said.
motorvated
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 10 2013, 03:11 PM) *

I hear the Cap'n loud and clear. Sure glad I took the time to ask. Guess I'll look around for later style studs.

Thanks Cap'n
motorvated
QUOTE(motorvated @ Apr 10 2013, 07:43 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 10 2013, 03:11 PM) *

I hear the Cap'n loud and clear. Sure glad I took the time to ask. Guess I'll look around for later style studs.

Thanks Cap'n

Later style struts
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.