Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass 914/6 Engine Tins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I haven't seen any fiberglass 914/6 tins in person. Are the ones available any good? Anyone got any good pictures? How what fitting them up?

Share your insights. biggrin.gif
McMark
Did a search and found a few people making the same claim about fiberglass tins. "Metal will bend but fiberglass breaks" but I can't understand why/when this would be an issue. confused24.gif

Can anyone clarify this for me as well? Had anyone actually broken FG tins? Or is this just one of those things that's been passed around?
sixnotfour
The side tins are really tight past the suspension pivot bolt, so most tins are bent and I guess that is where the glass ones get broken.
Ive used both , yes the tin fits nicer, but the raw glass ones look fabulous, patience drilling the holes and don't over tighten the bolts.
The glass ones its not like you can grab ahold and pull the engine around with out hearing the cracking sound..
phillstek
I got mine from Patrick years ago and have used them on a 2.7, 2.0, 2.4 and now a 3.2. 3 sides fit really snug with the engine shelf rubber seal hooking under correctly and staying in place. The rear section is less then perfect with an inch and half gap between it and the transmission hump that the seal will not span.

When bolted up they are very rigid and do not flex. They are still in excellent condition after many r and r's.
effutuo101
I had them on my 2.2 they were great. You just have to be careful when R&R the motor.
Mark Henry
I cheaped out and made my own steel ones using a 911 and /4 set.
I did have the use of a real /6 set as a pattern.

rootworks had a good tutorial how to do this somewhere on here. Doesn't really matter how pretty they are, once in the car you hardly see them.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 10 2013, 10:42 PM) *

Did a search and found a few people making the same claim about fiberglass tins. "Metal will bend but fiberglass breaks" but I can't understand why/when this would be an issue. confused24.gif

Can anyone clarify this for me as well? Had anyone actually broken FG tins? Or is this just one of those things that's been passed around?

I have never used fiberglass. That said, my tin gets trashed every time I remove my engine. The RJ mount requires the engine to move rearwards to get it out and that is a collision with the suspension. I wouldn't want to remove an engine with fiberglass tin. One mess up and it's broke....

If you had a stock mount and the engine could be dropped straight down it would work better....
Scott S
The stuff I bought from Getty fit absolutely perfect. I bought the raw amber fan shroud first. It did require some trimming here and there. After seeing the RSR's at the porsche parade, I decided I wanted the engine tins in the same amber finish. The fit was litterally perfect. I left the large double pully for AC on the crank, so that had to trimmed, but other than that I did not alter them in any way. I was actually surprised at how perfect the tins met the rubber seal.

I used the old licence plate technique to get the motor in the car. I stuck one each suspension mount as the motor went in. Worked perfectly - like a shoe horn. The front RJ mount never posed any problems in my experience.

The last picture is very poorly lit/cell phone. In person it looked much brighter/cleaner.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Scott S @ Apr 11 2013, 03:40 PM) *

The stuff I bought from Getty fit absolutely perfect. I bought the raw amber fan shroud first. It did require some trimming here and there. After seeing the RSR's at the porsche parade, I decided I wanted the engine tins in the same amber finish. The fit was litterally perfect. I left the large double pully for AC on the crank, so that had to trimmed, but other than that I did not alter them in any way. I was actually surprised at how perfect the tins met the rubber seal.

I used the old licence plate technique to get the motor in the car. I stuck one each suspension mount as the motor went in. Worked perfectly - like a shoe horn. The front RJ mount never posed any problems in my experience.

The last picture is very poorly lit/cell phone. In person it looked much brighter/cleaner.

I have fiberglass 6 "tin" that I'm going to be using in the future.
Installing a 914 6 engine is difficult for a few reasons but I've found it helpful to lift the engine / trans into position without the side tins attached.
This allows clearance between the inner suspension ears, avoids scraping and bending the tin and prevents distorting or damaging the rubber seals.
The side pieces are best attached after the engine is bolted in but before all the other ancilliaries are done. It's tight to put the side tins on but very doable.
Of course with tin or glass it is important to install and check fit beforhand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.