Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unsprung Weight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
McMark
I'm getting my alternate-alternate 914 running while my primary car is stripped and on the rotisserie. I'm thinking about focusing on reducing weight in a somewhat reasonable manner. I won't be doing any permanent alterations but what about unsprung weight? This is the area where I want to explore and see what a stock 914 can feel like with minimized unsprung weight. Here's the list of components in my mind to address:
  • Wheels
  • Brakes
  • Torsion bars

What else is out there that I'm not thinking about?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 11 2013, 03:38 PM) *

I'm getting my alternate-alternate 914 running while my primary car is stripped and on the rotisserie. I'm thinking about focusing on reducing weight in a somewhat reasonable manner. I won't be doing any permanent alterations but what about unsprung weight? This is the area where I want to explore and see what a stock 914 can feel like with minimized unsprung weight. Here's the list of components in my mind to address:
  • Wheels
  • Brakes
  • Torsion bars
What else is out there that I'm not thinking about?

Struts, rotors & hubs.
Torsion bars are not unsprung wt.
Trailing arms are roughly half unsprung.
jhadler
For unsprung weight, wheels and tires are the easiest to achieve big results with. I'm assuming that this is for a competition car. If so, a set of really light weight race wheels and light weight race tires will make big differences in the behavior of the the car. If this is for the street... Why?

Rotors would make a big difference too, as would calipers.

-Josh
Borderline
I removed about 80 lbs from the car when I switched to 13" wheels and bias ply tires. Wilwood calipers weigh about 2lb each where the stock calipers weigh close to 8 lbs. I machined down the rotors to clear the wheels. I know you're not interested in going this route, but it was a lot of fun.

I'd love to figure out a way to lighten the struts. I'm running shortened struts with the Koni race inserts. I wonder if Bilsteins are lighter than Konis?

I just switched over to Penske rear shocks. They are lighter and mount upside down so the shaft is the unsprung wt as opposed to the shock body.

FWIW

Bill
McMark
Bill, I may end up going that route with this car. As long as I can swap 'road wheels' back on, which IIRC you can.

So why do they have hollow torsion bars? Just for those last few ounces? It does make sense that torsion bars wouldn't be unsprung. whack_3.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 11 2013, 08:27 PM) *

So why do they have hollow torsion bars?

The material at the center of the bar does very little work, so it's wasted weight from a performance standpoint.
Also, heat treatment is more uniform resulting in better mechanical properties.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 11 2013, 09:43 PM) *

The material at the center of the bar does very little work, so it's wasted weight from a performance standpoint.
Also, heat treatment is more uniform resulting in better mechanical properties.

Chris, your mechanical nerdiness never ceases to amaze me! aktion035.gif
Chris Pincetich
Wilwood calipers drooley.gif

If you get the parts and machine work sorted for the front Wilwood adapters, calipers, and rotors (drilled are lighter, but beware of safety debate) that is an awesome route to drop pounds. Others in NorCal (me!) would find the $$ to go this route with your parts. Bill C's streetable AX 914 is awesome beerchug.gif

I noticed a HUGE difference with needle bearing suspension bushings vs. old rubber. Lots of the benefits of low unsprung weight are realized w low friction on these pivots.

Dream parts: carbon fiber rotors, titanium studs and lug nuts!
Borderline
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Apr 13 2013, 09:12 AM) *

Wilwood calipers drooley.gif

If you get the parts and machine work sorted for the front Wilwood adapters, calipers, and rotors (drilled are lighter, but beware of safety debate) that is an awesome route to drop pounds. Others in NorCal (me!) would find the $$ to go this route with your parts. Bill C's streetable AX 914 is awesome beerchug.gif

I noticed a HUGE difference with needle bearing suspension bushings vs. old rubber. Lots of the benefits of low unsprung weight are realized w low friction on these pivots.

Dream parts: carbon fiber rotors, titanium studs and lug nuts!

I guess in full disclosure it should be noted that my car is pretty much a dedicated AX car. I basically drive it to and from the AX with very little other driving. The light wt brakes and smaller rotors may not be advisable for high speed driving that requires repeated high levels of braking.

Trekkor was able to put some 13" steel wheels on his car without cutting the rotors down, but they need spacers and very small backspace numbers and flairs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.