Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The "Name Nelson's Car" Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Madswede
Ok, I kinda feel my car should have a name. O'Brien (Series9) put years of time and his soul into this car. I've spent years of working and saving to fund it (indeed, I continue to do so!). I love driving it, it's like no other car I've ever driven, including the 914 it was before I sent it to Florida. EDIT: that's a reference to the handling, not the lack of power from the poor /3 bus motor lol-2.gif

Brief details are in my signature. More about the build is over on ClubNARP under the thread titled, "The Start of a Beautiful Build" Or just ask me about it in this thread and I'll tell ya about it. biggrin.gif

Can't go with "the Phoenix" as much as I liked that name and the mythology behind it, since it's been done at least twice already. "The RS" is taken by the first edition 3.6 monster that Joe built for himself as his flagship. I don't go for people names - those are for people, not cars, unless the car is possessed by the individual in question. I thought of "Orange Genius" but I'm not sure anyone under 40 is gonna get the reference and I never liked the things that much anyway, not to mention it's a none-to-subtle referencing of the intelligence it took to assemble and tune.

GAH! I'M WAY OVERTHINKING THIS. MUST. STOP. NOW. wacko.gif

blink.gif You see my quandary. screwy.gif

Maybe it doesn't really need a name.
MoveQik
QUOTE(Madswede @ Apr 12 2013, 12:31 PM) *

Maybe it doesn't really need a name.

And there you go. Naming a car???
rnellums
Quandary as a name?

Thor's Hammer

Cerberus

d914
blank check!!!!!! smile.gif
SLITS
"Querque"

"Jonbomb"

"Rio Dinero"

"Sandia"

"FTY" = Faster Than You

"BallsO'Fire"

"Huevos"

Madswede
Some interesting ideas! lol-2.gif I knew I could count on this forum.

I should have clarified, part of the reason I'm even asking this question is to get ideas for a personalized plate. I'm luke-warm on the idea of just putting "914 SIX" or "914 RS" on a plate. The first one implies a real /6, the second implies ... well I guess it just implies it's a badass car, which it is.

Cerberus isn't exactly taken, but TVR made a car called the Cerbera which took its name from Cerberus. The Greek spelling, Kerberos, is an encryption protocol, so I'm not gonna use that one. rolleyes.gif

I like the idea of Thor's Hammer since it does have a name: Mjölnir. Rendered in licese-plate lingo, that might not be too bad... "MJOLNIR" Only a few would get it. Hmmm.... idea.gif
Madswede
Oh, and Querque (pronounced "quirky") would make my short list too, Ron, but Joe's dog has that for a nick name. She is pretty fast, though.
ellisor3
Here are a couple:

blitz schnell =fast as lightning
schnell= will fit on a plate
Rotschopf=redhead
Rauchen=smoking

German words are not sexy, how about

Lucy=because everyone loves Lucy
Lizzie=Lizzie Borden was a read head who hacked people to death, right?
Time bomb= the time made your wallet explode lol-2.gif
carr914
SWAG-6
PanelBilly
NOTA4
d914
das car
Todd Enlund
Cars already have names. You have to wait for them to tell you what it is.
Mblizzard
Phaedrus - Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance says it means wolf. But it is not exactly correct. But that is kind of what you have. Something that is not what it seems but it is still bad ass. What is German for red wolf?
sixnotfour

Agent Orange

Cochen

F.O.T. (F*****g Orange Thing)

Ginger Snap

Towering Inferno

Orange Crush
carr914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 12 2013, 09:27 PM) *

Towering Inferno

Who the Fuch would intentionally name their car Inferno?
mepstein
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Apr 12 2013, 07:58 PM) *

agree.gif
hot_shoe914
The Straw.
RickS
Waffle-wagon
shuie

Pictures?
JRust
Orange Crush

Sunkist

I am digging Thors hammer though. If you don't use it I might
Rand
nailsum
or, tamer; nailson
Madswede
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 12 2013, 10:36 PM) *

Orange Crush

Sunkist

I am digging Thors hammer though. If you don't use it I might

I won't use Thor's Hammer as a name, but I got dibs on Mjolnir. smile.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Apr 12 2013, 06:01 PM) *

Phaedrus - Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance says it means wolf. But it is not exactly correct. But that is kind of what you have. Something that is not what it seems but it is still bad ass. What is German for red wolf?

Hmm... a little too introspective for me. biggrin.gif

I would think something a little more lady-like.

If you want Germanic, think Helga, Inga, Anke, and (my fav) Petra.
ottox914
otto, or ottox.

notavw

3.sex

brant
cars don't need names..
they are cars...
I've only named one car in my life
it was my very first. a real piece....
"the brown turd"

I vote no name.
carr914
I don't Name cars either. It's Gay (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Click to view attachment
balljoint
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 13 2013, 01:51 AM) *

I vote no name.

agree.gif

Unless you name the car "Brian".

That might be nice.

I still regret the day I named my car. That reminds me, Mr. Yellowy Sunflower is about due for his first run of the Spring.

Good luck. Hope you're having a blast with Brian. thumb3d.gif
brant
cool car!

sixnotfour
Its "Nelson's 914" to me nothing more, nothing less, Its just Fun poking suggestions... poke.gif beerchug.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Apr 12 2013, 03:58 PM) *

agree.gif

Don't force it. It will come on one of those awe inspiring cruises through the twisties, or maybe while you're cleaning bugs off the windshield.
bandjoey
Admiral Nelson's HORNBLOWER
FourBlades

SEXY 6

John
balljoint
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 13 2013, 11:20 AM) *

Admiral Nelson's HORNBLOWER

That was Jon's nickname in highschool. So it's appropriate, but I think we have settled on "Brian".
euro911
Das fliegende auto (The Flying Car)

or

Das fliegenwagon

laugh.gif
VegasRacer
Read the title of this thread. splat.gif The car already has a name.

Who was the one with the idea and the resources to create this unique machine? first.gif
Call it what you want. You could even sell it. It will always be 'Nelson's 914'.
moparrob
I named an old Mustang GT "Thor" and it seemed to fit. It was a macho machine...

You are welcome to use it.
Madswede
This has been entertaining as I knew it would be! lol-2.gif

But I think more and more of not naming it, unless I get some inspiration out of nowhere. It really is simply my 914. I might still get a plate with MJOLNIR on it. Eh, not gonna rush out and get one for a year or so anyway.

Thanks guys for some cool suggestions though. sunglasses.gif
Elliot Cannon
I just think it is really special and sweet that people have cutsie little names for their cars. I mean, isn't it just wonderful? Really? Isn't it? poke.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif
Madswede
dry.gif I have it on good authority that YOU secretly name your cars after Pam Grier's film characters, Ell-yut!

Actually, that's not too bad an idea ... lol-2.gif
rick 918-S
Not a name but a license plate suggestion. Just so when you show those pesky tail draggers your tail lights you can say "I warned you.."

BAD 4 U

That was the plate on my 427 ci. tri-power 66 Chevelle. I think it's fitting.

BTW: thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Here's my old car. Does the plate fit? happy11.gif

Click to view attachment
Madswede
OK, good call. This thread is as good as any to post pics. drooley.gif

Click to view attachment
and
Click to view attachment
and
Click to view attachment
and
Click to view attachment
and
Click to view attachment
6freak
I thought of "Orange Genius" but I'm not sure anyone under 40 is gonna get the reference and I never liked the things that much anyway,

it was Orange Julius was it not? i didnt care for them either

you could call it OJ because its a killer car lol-2.gif
biggrin.gif
effutuo101
My wife named her jeep Jeramiah. She calls my car "the other woman". Can't say I blame her.

r_towle
Orangeener
euro911
QUOTE(6freak @ Apr 14 2013, 06:55 PM) *
I thought of "Orange Genius" but I'm not sure anyone under 40 is gonna get the reference ...
... or Orange Sunshine drooley.gif

Looks like Nelson's got himself a chick magnet cheer.gif

Click to view attachment
Millerwelds
"MAYHEM" - A direct quote from one of your other posts. biggrin.gif Also works as a license plate.
Madswede
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 14 2013, 11:43 PM) *

Looks like Nelson's got himself a chick magnet cheer.gif

Click to view attachment

She is a very pretty girl, very sweet, a good friend, and unfortunately taken. rolleyes.gif Still, doesn't mean I can't giver her a ride.

Whoa, I'd better rephrase that ... a ride in the car.

I'm not making it sound better, am I?
brant
maybe a plate of:

"FIAT"

get some air cleaners so I can sleep at night.
b
Madswede
Heheh, you must've read my story on NARP. I'm not puttin' any damn reference to Fiat on my car, thankyouverymuch.

But don't worry Brant, that pic of the open ITBs was just opportunistic, like those pics people snap of a girl flashing her boobs at Mardi Gras. She's got air filters on when driving around.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.