Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust Manifold Leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
martinef1963
I just got a real expensive tune-up done on my 914 - I'm stupid and could have done it all - except the valve adjustment - lesson learned.

The mechanic told me that he had to take the exhaust manifold off to get to the valves - regardless - he told me that the seals for the manifold melted onto the engine case.

His fix was to put another seal on top of the ones he couldn't get off without risk of damaging the surface. He told me that I would have to drop the engine - have it sand blasted, etc...

Someone please give this ROOKIE some direction on how I can fix this myself - I am very good at taking stuff off and putting it back on - it's the troubleshooting that I just suck at.

thanks, headbang.gif
ChrisReale
Ya gotta pick off the old copper gaskets. Not sure how they melted on there, but regardless, use a pick and try to scrape them out. Then, get new copper gaskets and a tube of high temp RTV. Make sure the tops of the heat exchangers are flat, run a file across the tops if they are not flat. Coat the tops of the heat exchangers in RTV and stick the copper gasket on it, and re-attach the exchangers. Dont over torque the nuts on the exchangers, they only need about 10 lbs.
martinef1963
Chris - thanks for the info, but if you don't mind helping this rookie out just a bit more - I'd be greatful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is the muffler, that is connected to the heat SS heat exchangers, then???????

2ndly, how can I get to these things without having to drop the engine?

thanks.... headbang.gif
mike_the_man
Heat exchangers are connected to the muffler, and that's it. It's a pretty short exhaust system. You shouldn't have to drop the motor to get at the gasket. There are holes on the bottom of the heads. With the exhaust system removed, they should be pretty easy to get at.

Also, sounds like you may want to look for a new mechanic to me. You shouldn't have to drop the exhaust to adjust the valves. I've never had to, in any case.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(mike_the_man @ Nov 22 2004, 11:08 AM)
Heat exchangers are connected to the muffler, and that's it. It's a pretty short exhaust system. You shouldn't have to drop the motor to get at the gasket. There are holes on the bottom of the heads. With the exhaust system removed, they should be pretty easy to get at.

Also, sounds like you may want to look for a new mechanic to me. You shouldn't have to drop the exhaust to adjust the valves. I've never had to, in any case.

agree.gif Its a PITA to do valves when you got heater crap in the way... never removed my exhaust though, realy hard whn you got bear claws for hands like me <_<
martinef1963
this is where I'm getting confused... The muffler, then the heat exchangers, and that's it? How bout that short piece that is about 12 to 18 inches long that appears to redirect the air?

I'm understanding that the SS heat exchangers are connected to the engine - right? and that's it.

thanks bro - for ALL your help.
Aaron Cox
Heat exchangers bolt up to the heads.... on the other end the muffler bolts to the heat exchangers
martinef1963
Another thing, understand I should RTV the new gaskets onto the heat exchangers, not the were they hook up to the engine?

thanks for being patient with this rookie..... biggrin.gif
mike_the_man
I guess it depends on what kind of muffler you have. Starting from the back of the car, where the exhaust exits:

1) Short piece of tail pipe, usually attatched directly to the muffler.
2) Muffler hanger
3) Heat exchangers, which bolt straight to the exhaust ports on the heads.

Now, attached to the the heat exchangers there are all sorts of pipes used fpr the heating system, but they have nothing to do with the exhaust system. Does anybody have a good diagram of the exhaust and heating system? Sounds like it might be helpful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.