Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Megaphones
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
I found the 914 megaphones with the cookie cutters that are made for the 4 banger cars. They are 21" long - whats up with that? That puts them 15-16" beyond the rear of the car - really hokey in my opinion. These were made to connect to the heat exchanger. Is there a header system that should be used so that they exit the car at a more reasonable length? Is this wht the GT's used the dual outlet muffler based on the stock system?
Hmmm..... bummer.
Aaron Cox
dude...set up a megaphone group buy.... i want some too!
i love porsche
theyre not expensive...like 99 bucks right?
Aaron Cox
some more variety here
http://www.automotion.com/ProductPage.aspx...aphones&type=20
nebreitling
you guys are going to have like zilch scavenging effect with megaphones coming off of heat exhangers.

you *may* make slightly more hp up top, but i doubt that it will produce more power overall. louder ain't necessarily faster, less backpressure ain't necessarily faster.*

get a 4-1 with a straight pipe if you're serious about open exhaust.

*of course, it sounds like it!
d914
gt and automotion, euopean racing headers have different lengths, 15-24".
ninepfourteen
Guys,

I have a set of these that I shortened six inches. They end just past rear bumper. Don't have to worry about stepping on them. Look and sound great. I used them at AX events before I bought my header. Can be had for $125.00 plus shipping. (I had to pay to get them welded.)
Fit 2.0 No power increase but way cool sound.
VintageExcellence
Those megaphones would work with my headers, the outlets are about 5 or 6 inches shorter than stock 914-6 exchangers and most headers. I have 2 bolt on extensions that connect my muffler.

Megaphones are awsome, they probably don't provide the horsepower unless you have a race engine with a wild cam but they sure as hell let the neighbors know who has the best car on the street. My neighbors all have V8 muscle cars. I first fired up my 914-3.0 with open headers and drove around the block, everyone came out to see it.

I just got a Euro 3.2 to put in the car and a loud sport muffler. We will see how that all sounds.
Joe Bob
914/ "6" headers that use megaphones are shorter than ones that use a 911 style banana muffler. My headers on Manfred are the megaphone style and needed a short 2-3 inch spacer to be able to use a regular muffler.....so....that means the megaphones don't stick out that far past the bumper....

As to a "4" megaphone....I don't think that the Porsche factory raced them with them as they were offically VWs....most 914s that raced in the 70s were sixes....any four bangers were privateers and used a muffler due to the fact that they ran better with back pressure.

NOW...with higher horse powoer available for the four bangers...you see a straight pipe...but they don't stick out that far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.