Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V-8 Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1bad914
Anyone used a 944 radiator on an SBC V-8 conversion, I have one and was measuring it for size, it would fit well and has dual puller fans, plus temp sensors built in. You could also use the over flow tank! Just a thought! Not sure if it has the cooling capacity or not?

Randy
skline
I think this has been discussed before and Renegade said it didnt have the capacity to cool a V8, 944 is only a 4 cylinder, however, the overfill tank from a 944 has been done. So I guess part of it would be Porsche.
Mueller
things to consider:

CID of donor car, CID of new motor

HP of donor car, HP of new motor

can you get the same airflow as from the donor vehicle?

you need to find out if the 944 rad. was adequate in it's stock application..it seems a 951 would be better suited since it has to remove more heat than it's normally aspirated brother.....I bought a brand new 944 radiator at a swap meet for $40...didn't like it so I sold to a fellow member doing a Subaru conversion...still not sure if it'll work since his car is not running yet.

the radiator is the one key part of the conversion people try to be "cheap" with....the cooling system will make or break a decent conversion
skline
agree.gif Here here, very well said.
1bad914
I'm not trying to be cheap, just looking for alternatives. I have a 944 that I'm using for parts for one that I'm restoring. When I looked at the rad. the light bulb went off and I said hey measure that thing and see if it will fit. Oh well!
neo914-6
If the parts are "free" then you just need to consider your time and fabrication resources. You can calculate all day long to but to know if it will actually work means at least fabricating mounts and duct work, possibly modifiying the inlet/outlets, wiring the fans, etc. Then if it doesn't work, you may have to start over.
Good luck,
Felix
marks914
I used an 85 vette radiator. The whole setup with fan, radiator and shroud cost me a whole $165. Never been above 210.
_ Mark

theres a few pics on my webshots.
propricer
As a rough rule of thumb, there should be about 1-1/2 square inches of radiator for each cubic inch of displacement.
A 327 CID would, for example, require ( 327 x 1.5 ) 491 square inches.
For reference, one of the more standard radiator dimesions is 19 x 26 which works out to 494 sq inches.
Hope this helps to get you calibrated ...
Brad Roberts
I would stay away from the 944 radiators. They barely cooled a 944. I like the idea of the Vette radiator but question it's ability to cool in the southern states.

B
scotty914
if you want to get rid of that 944 rad and fans i could use it. i have a rad from a ford probe but i need fans, a complete setup would be nice.

the ford rad i have is from a 2.2 and my suby is a 2.5 but the rad is the same size as the suby one.

heres a question, the rad i have is from an auto, therefore it has a tranny cooler built in i thought about using it to cool my tranny. using a pump to get it in and out. would this work well enough to try it ?
Brad Roberts
Nope. Gear lube is VERY thick. Auto tranny fluid is very thin. You wouldnt get it through the small coolers they put in the end tanks of the radiators.

B
scotty914
damn that was fast
Brad Roberts
I get paid by the hour.

B
1bad914
Looking at the 85 vette rad, it's $132.00 new! Plus a used fan and shroud should work well. The enclosure is a piece of cake, metal brake and nice clean sheet matal will do the trick. ANybody use a Weiand Stealth intake before? I can get a new one free in a barter deal!
skline
Check the specs on it, you want the power band in the upper RPM range. I am running an Edelbrock Performer manifold with an Edelbrock carb.
914GT
Another advantage of the Performer intake (not RPM version) is that it along with the Edelbrock/AFB carb + round air cleaner will clear your engine lid without cutting the diagonal brace. Other intakes probably do too, just something to consider.
1bad914
The Stealth covers the entire RPM range and is good to 6800. It does help low and mid, but also helps the top end. Also as far as headers go , I can also get free hooker shorty headers in the deal, any advice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.