Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PORSCHE 914 MANGLED IN HIGH SPEED CRASH BY DRUNK DRIVER
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
City of Orange California?
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

IMO, if the guy in red shirt was the cause,& drunk,instead of hand cuffing him.

they should of threw the SOB over that railing !!!! Dave slap.gif
914Bryan
Shit, I drive that way every single day to work. Its right between Angel stadium and the Pond on the 57 freeway....Poor guy in the 914, I am so glad he is alive.. By the looks of the damage, he was rear ended on the drivers side.

Hopefully the CHP does the DUI driver up professionally.
BKLA
Best wishes to the 914 owner. DUI's need far harsher penalties. IMHO.
914werke
Wow! that was some serious damage.
timothy_nd28
I wonder if a 3rd brake light would of prevented this
ndfrigi
Thank God the 914 driver looks very okay!
What do you think teen owners? On this accident, middle body of the car or the long/running board just bent easily, should we add additional bracket inside our doors to keep it more strong? Since our door specially early doors does not have any impact support and Targa top does not really help to support the front body against the other half of the body. I have seen several 914 ads that when it got into accident, the middle body bent or kneel down.

Just wondering!
scotty b
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Apr 13 2013, 12:03 PM) *

I wonder if a 3rd brake light would of prevented this

I doubt seriously that a 3rd brake light would have prevented this seeing as how the driver that hit him was drunk. He was probably seeing 5 or 6 brake lights at that time
Elliot Cannon
Does anyone recognise this car or the driver? Is it anyone we know? Was this a recent accident or awhile ago?
76-914
Is that a V8 poking out the rear? confused24.gif
GeorgeRud
Realistically, any convertible or targa type body style will always be at greater risk of folding up the passenger compartment when compared to a hardtop/coupe type body. The side intrusion bars that were added to the later style doors help somewhat, but physics will still limit how much they can do.

I think anyone will agree that today's cars (with their designed crumple zones and progressive deformation design) are much safer than older designs, so one has to be all that much more aware of your surroundings at all times and don't assume the other drivers see you. There's a reason I like yellow for my cars, it's the most visible color according to studies that have been done.

All in all, I'm amazed that the 914 holds up as well as it does in a crash such as this!
messix
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 13 2013, 01:59 PM) *

Is that a V8 poking out the rear? confused24.gif

early in the vid it shows 2L exhaust laying on the ground.
jimkelly
NARROW BODY

ConeDodger
He must have lost consciousness or had pain in the chest or abdomen. C-Collar is pretty standard for anyone who meets trauma protocol so is the IV. If he is bleeding internally, and starts to lose blood pressure, they can give fluid rapidly.

Looks like an Asian woman to me. Guy is very lucky... sad.gif
damesandhotrods
The 914 deformed on impact, absorbing the energy like it was designed to. It looks like the driver was cut out of the car; they probably wanted to move the driver as little as possible before immobilizing them on the stretcher. A black car at night probably didn’t help, but if your turn their not much you can do.
pete000

Wow, hope they go to jail for DUI.

You can see the targa top on the ground while the CHP is cuffing her.

Sad to see a 914 parish like that. Hope the driver is ok.
Type 47
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Apr 13 2013, 11:04 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

IMO, if the guy in red shirt was the cause,& drunk,instead of hand cuffing him.

they should of threw the SOB over that railing !!!! Dave slap.gif

1st, hope the driver is OK.

2nd Dave you have it all wrong...they should have indeed hand cuffed them...THEN thrown them over the railing!
oldschool
Great footage....who shoot it aktion035.gif
6freak
race tires on the street?? That things gotta have a chassis stiffening kit! hope dudes ok
smile.gif
messix
QUOTE(6freak @ Apr 13 2013, 10:29 PM) *

race tires on the street?? That things gotta have a chassis stiffening kit! hope dudes ok
smile.gif

race tires??? slap.gif

looks like plenty of tread on those street tires to me....
6freak
QUOTE(messix @ Apr 14 2013, 12:53 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Apr 13 2013, 10:29 PM) *

smile.gif

race tires??? slap.gif

looks like plenty of tread on those street tires to me....

upon looking again i do see some tread but not much...but that had nut n to do with the crash! carry on
smile.gif
914Bryan
This is on the Youtube webpage regarding this accident. I am including it for your information and to say a prayer for someone whom we may or may not know, but who has a love for the 914 Porsche. Hopefully this will not take his life.

Be careful brethren and watch your six....

Published on Apr 13, 2013-

The driver of a vintage 1970s Porsche 914 is in critical condition after his car was struck at high speed by an alleged drunk driver. The crash happened around 12:30 AM on the NB 57 Fwy near Katella Ave in Anaheim. It took Firefighters from Anaheim & Orange nearly an hour to cut the man free from the badly mangled Porsche using the jaws of life and other tools. At total of 3 cars were involved in the incident that closed all lanes but one on the NB 57 for 2 hours. The female driver of the vehicle that struck the Porsche was placed under arrest for Felony DUI at the scene by the CHP.

This update was posted on April 16, 1100hrs, written by a family member...
He has a broken jaw, femur, ribs, facial bones, and spine. His lung was punctured and one of his kidneys is in danger of failing. He's been in a medically induced coma since it happened and has yet to know if he will be paralyzed for life. One second can change so much!
Elliot Cannon
I am very sorry to hear about this. sad.gif I hope he has a speedy recovery. Could you keep us udated about his recovery and how he is doing?
Elliot
914_teener
I am surprised no one here knows him.

....he is in my prayers.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(914Bryan @ Apr 16 2013, 01:37 PM) *

This is on the Youtube webpage regarding this accident. I am including it for your information and to say a prayer for someone whom we may or may not know, but who has a love for the 914 Porsche. Hopefully this will not take his life.

Be careful brethren and watch your six....

Published on Apr 13, 2013-

The driver of a vintage 1970s Porsche 914 is in critical condition after his car was struck at high speed by an alleged drunk driver. The crash happened around 12:30 AM on the NB 57 Fwy near Katella Ave in Anaheim. It took Firefighters from Anaheim & Orange nearly an hour to cut the man free from the badly mangled Porsche using the jaws of life and other tools. At total of 3 cars were involved in the incident that closed all lanes but one on the NB 57 for 2 hours. The female driver of the vehicle that struck the Porsche was placed under arrest for Felony DUI at the scene by the CHP.

This update was posted on April 16, 1100hrs, written by a family member...
He has a broken jaw, femur, ribs, facial bones, and spine. His lung was punctured and one of his kidneys is in danger of failing. He's been in a medically induced coma since it happened and has yet to know if he will be paralyzed for life. One second can change so much!

If this is true, he was seriously under-treated by EMS on scene.
Man I hope him well..That was a major accident..Last year me and my wife were t boned by a drunk driver going 50mph,good thing not in one of my 914's.One thing driving for me will not be ever the same..Get well fellow 914er..
JRust
Damn sad.gif . My thoughts & prayers are with him. It is surprising nobody knows him. Figured someone here would have known who he is.
GeorgeRud
There is a license plate number shown in the video. Don't know if that can be traced.

Hope he pulls through OK, that looks awful bad though the car did crumple pretty well considering.
jsayre914
sad.gif
I will pray for him
dlkawashima
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 16 2013, 04:42 PM) *

That may not have been the 914 driver on the gurney in the video. The Youtube description says it was a three car accident.
76-914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Apr 16 2013, 06:43 PM) *

There is a license plate number shown in the video. Don't know if that can be traced.

Hope he pulls through OK, that looks awful bad though the car did crumple pretty well considering.

I believe the last number is a 4. I know we have some cops here that can run a plate #.
worn

[/quote]

[/quote]

I saw that one knee was up - my first thought was that was to help maintain bp. Correct?

I agree that a newer car is safer, but I am always amazed at how the central chassis stays pretty much in shape in hard crash photos. I also want a bright color.
Look closely at video on him in the car and on the gurney its the same guy..Looks like he has a bunch of stuff in the rear trunk,that might of lessened the impact some?? Just looking at the damage to the 914 hes lucky to be alive..
avidfanjpl
Plate looks like 4CIR214 meaning that the car was registered about 10 years ago in CA

Tires look like racing tread or worn off dry summer tires, meaning nothing treadwise that I can see in HD.

Woman was being arrested. Looked Asian from video. That is 57 south just past the Katella offramp right above the 5 and 22 split. Literally at the Angels Sign on the southbound side.

It was Friday night. I have a CHP neighbor and will check on the crash

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.